jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My current theory is that Samsung are going to sell their new FF sensor that would have gone into the NX2 to Nikon. Nikon announced about two weeks ago that the new D5 is on its way (without giving any other details). This happened at around the same time Samsung started shutting down their camera distribution. Since Nikon need someone to supply their sensors, and since Samsung makes sensors (and is now leaving the market), there is a synergy in the interests of the two companies that could result in a D5 housing the NX2 sensor. It would allow Nikon to convincingly leapfrog Canon.

Such a collaboration would warrant a major news announcement, and both of them (Samsung and Nikon) are heading for major news at CES it seems.

So who knows, it could be interesting. Perhaps there will be a new 4K player on the scene very soon.

D5 with a samsung sensor also came to my mind days ago, but...will it be something to be announced at ces, with fanfare, by samsung? I mean...that would be worth nothing for current nx users, ie ppl that had chosen to stick with apsc and above all with an average cost of 1500$ per body (d5 will be 3-4x that).

I think these options are on the table and make sense. I would say that Canon could also benefit, but less so. Their mirrorless line is mediocre at best, has no convincing lens line up, much less convincing than the NX lense range.

Here I would disagree slightly. If Nikon buys up Samsungs camera division or licenses their sensor tech and - I believe more importantly - their world leading digital processing expertise and power, they would get their much needed line of mirrorless cameras. They could just keep the NX mount (Nikon X-mount, not even a need to rebrand!). They would have had to develop a second mount anyway for mirrorless!

For Samsung to take the fullframe route (thus abandoning their whole lense line up) is the least likely "suprise" announcement IMHO. 

Well, you could imagine that if the deal to sell the FF sensor to Nikon was sealed 2-3 weeks ago, Samsung would have seen no point in the NX line anymore. They would sell a lot more sensors through a partnership with Nikon than they could themselves, and they would not want to endanger that, so it would have been expedient for them to simply cut the line to the NX system and let it sink once the deal was done.

That could explain why they suddenly started closing up shop when it seemed that they finally had a competitive product that they could build from. From a business point of view it seemed like a bizarre thing to do, but if you consider the possibility of a deal being done with Nikon, then maybe not so bizarre. In fact, doing a deal with Nikon makes the current moves by Samsung the obvious thing to do.

Thats based on a pretty big assumption, that Nikon is healthy and will survive in the long term, so Samsung will REALLY sell lots of sensors to them. To me, Nikon (and maybe Canon too) belong to an endangered species. Especially Nikon desperately needs a serious mirrorless line of cameras, thats the future. 

Maybe they bought a new hypothetical Samsung full frame sensor (just a rumor that this one actually exists, right?) AND take over the NX line as their second leg?

Well, you could imagine that if the deal to sell the FF sensor to Nikon was sealed 2-3 weeks ago, Samsung would have seen no point in the NX line anymore. They would sell a lot more sensors through a partnership with Nikon than they could themselves, and they would not want to endanger that, so it would have been expedient for them to simply cut the line to the NX system and let it sink once the deal was done.

That could explain why they suddenly started closing up shop when it seemed that they finally had a competitive product that they could build from. From a business point of view it seemed like a bizarre thing to do, but if you consider the possibility of a deal being done with Nikon, then maybe not so bizarre. In fact, doing a deal with Nikon makes the current moves by Samsung the obvious thing to do.

Well without the NX1 the NX is definitely dead.

http://www.edaily.co.kr/news/NewsRead.edy?SCD=JE41&newsid=04487046609594256&DCD=A00504&OutLnkChk=Y

who can translate exactly?

p.s.: 

What about...

...a "NX2" called Samsung NX2 in Korea and called...Nikon D something or Canon M something in Europe and the rest of the world?

[ EDAILY e gimbyeongjun News Reporter] The news that Samsung is reportedly preparing to launch the new mirrorless camera .

1 ( Korea time ), the US information technology (IT) professional medium, Sam Mobile has reported that " Samsung Electronics is expected to announce a new flagship mirrorless at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2016".

Last month Swallowtail pixel camera including professional large influential foreign media have reported that Samsung is likely to completely withdraw its digital camera business . Germany, Portugal and Europe , Australia , the Samsung camera distributor located in Hong Kong and the door was closed most of the evidence is some media have even claimed that Samsung's digital camera business sector already quit the job status of all employees belonging to the department and transferred to the camera of the smartphone , tablet development department and other electronic products. At the time Samsung was not a special mention for its coverage .

But one days , Sam Mobile has said the news upset the installation of Samsung's digital camera business withdrawal . According to the media , Samsung Electronics unveiled the flagship mirrorless camera at CES 2016 held in Las Vegas from January 6 to 9th of next year. It is estimated by the successor of last December 2014 release of 'NX1' or February 2015 release 'NX500'.

The article says Samsung will come up with new lineup mirrorless in CES 2016. With MAC OS 10.9.5 Chrome and Safari are unable to translate it what the heck I am doing wrong? Input set to Korean, Output German or English even Auto detect not working...

http://www.edaily.co.kr/news/NewsRead.edy?SCD=JE41&newsid=04487046609594256&DCD=A00504&OutLnkChk=Y

This left me quite interested :

P.S.: Samsung camera business is dead. No doubt on it. But from the ashes something unexpected and very different rises…

Also "Samsung users should stay tuned"

Meaning its probably something to do with the NX1, so I'd imagine, either they have some sort of deal with Magic Lantern  (or something similar), increased any feature on the NX1 (4k 60fps, RAW video, 6.5k ?! anything extreme), or Im totally wrong, eitherway, lets wait for tomorrow !

Doesn't Nikon already get their sensors from Sony? And from my understanding, the 6 month exclusivity that Sony holds over its tech is near up, so why would Nikon switch their sourcing now?

According to Canon Rumors, Canon has a pro mirrorless coming out next year, so my bet is Canon sources their new sensors for their mirrorless cameras from Samsung. 

Or this is all nonsense and the NX2 will be a video first camera at a higher price point. 

Doesn't Nikon already get their sensors from Sony? And from my understanding, the 6 month exclusivity that Sony holds over its tech is near up, so why would Nikon switch their sourcing now?

According to Canon Rumors, Canon has a pro mirrorless coming out next year, so my bet is Canon sources their new sensors for their mirrorless cameras from Samsung. 

Or this is all nonsense and the NX2 will be a video first camera at a higher price point. 

Please God.  With rumors saying Samsung is going head on against Sony emount... Please God, say that Samsung is starting a new camera line with full frame or higher :-)  We need more competition (japanese companies are known to "fraternize" with each other keeping prices high) and I don't want to pay $3,000 for a a7sii :-) hahahahahah....

Samsung is a korean company.  Usually, korean companies do not pay well with Japanese companies.  As a people, the koreans and japanese have a bitter history of war, battles, etc. (remember WW2? "comfort women", etc.)  I doubt Samsung will sell sensors to japanese companies.  After all, Samsung is the biggest Korean company and a source of pride for korean people.

Surely Nikon would be keen to get away from Sony, as they are direct rivals (and may also be hindering them from creating more video orientated products)?... Changing to Samsung, especially with a caveat that Samsung don't compete in their market, would be an amazing move and could see Nikon become a far more relevant player in the video industry.

Jimmy, I agree with you. In that sense, NX1 could have been a showcase for what a mirrorless and video oriented D300 could have been.

But still, I hope they'll keep the NX mount alive and introduce a NX to Nikkor intelligent adapter.

Please God.  With rumors saying Samsung is going head on against Sony emount... Please God, say that Samsung is starting a new camera line with full frame or higher :-)  We need more competition (japanese companies are known to "fraternize" with each other keeping prices high) and I don't want to pay $3,000 for a a7sii :-) hahahahahah....

Samsung is a korean company.  Usually, korean companies do not pay well with Japanese companies.  As a people, the koreans and japanese have a bitter history of war, battles, etc. (remember WW2? "comfort women", etc.)  I doubt Samsung will sell sensors to japanese companies.  After all, Samsung is the biggest Korean company and a source of pride for korean people.

You forget, they are mortal enemies with Apple, but even so they supply a lot of the components that go into Apple's products.

When it comes to money, even your enemies can be friends if it means increased profits.

Never underestimate the power of cash.