jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

arguably we do not know the metrics of their social media campaign to contribute success or lack of success to the sales of samsung cameras because of the hashtag. Cameras were selling way before the rise of social media. There undoubtably are other factors that would prevent someone from investing in the NX line. Top of the list (to me) as to why someone wouldn't buy an nx1 or nx2 if it ever happens is the fact that samsung has a long reputation of selling crap cameras...its hard to remove that stigma from your brand even when you create something as well developed as the nx1 

Up to a point, in the last couple of years they've made a heap of good cameras, the reason was more to do with this:

90% of people walking through a shop door haven't a clue about cameras. I mean not a clue. This means most visual marketing is wasted because people hardly look at them or understand them. People will even ask the price of an item when the price is written on the ticket RIGHT NEXT TO THE CAMERA. They don't pay attention, they want to do the least amount of thinking possible.

90% of staff haven't got a clue about Samsung NX. I've trained staff only to see them state the wrong info to a customer within a hour of the training. They'll also push camera systems they own because they know more about them (so it's easier to sell to someone else). Incentive programmes also distort the market.

The people who visit forums like this are probably in the 5% of people who walk into a camera shop. If they know that cameras have different sensor sizes, that also puts you up there. 

I think another issue was they seemed to want to market and develop the cameras like their mobile division. Too many models (tons of bloody compact cameras), too much money wasted on this flash bang marketing crap. But I mentioned all of this in the god-knows how many reports I submitted. When I finally hooked up someone who worked for Samsung directly, things got more interesting, but that's another story. :grin:

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Up to a point, in the last couple of years they've made a heap of good cameras, the reason was more to do with this:

90% of people walking through a shop door haven't a clue about cameras. I mean not a clue. This means most visual marketing is wasted because people hardly look at them or understand them. People will even ask the price of an item when the price is written on the ticket RIGHT NEXT TO THE CAMERA. They don't pay attention, they want to do the least amount of thinking possible.

90% of staff haven't got a clue about Samsung NX. I've trained staff only to see them state the wrong info to a customer within a hour of the training. They'll also push camera systems they own because they know more about them (so it's easier to sell to someone else). Incentive programmes also distort the market.

The people who visit forums like this are probably in the 5% of people who walk into a camera shop. If they know that cameras have different sensor sizes, that also puts you up there. 

I think another issue was they seemed to want to market and develop the cameras like their mobile division. Too many models (tons of bloody compact cameras), too much money wasted on this flash bang marketing crap. But I mentioned all of this in the god-knows how many reports I submitted. When I finally hooked up someone who worked for Samsung directly, things got more interesting, but that's another story. :grin:

you make some very good points. The average consumer knows Canon, Nikon & now Sony. Shit it was hard even selling clients on the GH3 & 4. "You're shooting with a pansonic ? But isn't the 5d like...better ?". It's even harder to sell people on Samsung...I would've guessed that if their mobile products were so well received consumers and even prosumers would trust the technology in it but thats obviously not the case :(. Since I've gotten the camera I've been enjoying the images coming out of it. Hopefully one day more people can as well

I'm liking what I see video wise from the NX1. It feels very filmic to me. Love the battery life also. I'm working hard to get good with this camera. The Sony A7R was easy for me. I find I have to work harder with the NX1, but this is likely as I am using the 16-50 f2 lens and the A7R has a faster lenses. Still, the potential is there, and i some test shots that I did between the two I feel I'm starting to understand how to work within the camera's limitations. 

Of course it didn't help that Samsung produced mostly crap until the NX1 came along.

The nx100 was, for the time, a very nice photocamera (not video!). It had an optional (low res) EVF that allowed for shots in challenging lighting conditions. It had very nice colors OOC (possibly the best colors in the whole NX range before corrections), handled nicely and was smallish.

NX200 had the great flaw of not having the optional/integrated evf, but was nicely built and very small. Same for NX300. Unfortunately both were quite slow in operations and AF.

I never liked the nx30, but many owners were/are really happy with its tiltable EVF and swiveling screen. Again, not a camera for video, just for photos.

Galaxy NX was a commercial failure and I personally hated it, but again it was a bold attempt to make something "different". 

Of course it didn't help that Samsung produced mostly crap until the NX1 came along.

Exactly. I had written them off completely for video, even though the lenses looked tempting.  The NX1 was too late.   Imagine if the nx500 had full sensor 4k and had come out a year before.

And I have absolutely no idea why they didn't bring out a phone with an nx-mini mount.

exactly ! When it came out I was very VERY skeptical about the NX1. It was only until I got totally fed up with the Sony A7s blue clipping resulting in a  pissed off client I started looking into the Samsung. It was almost out of desperation since the GH4 was too noisy for me. Im happy with the move to Samsung but I totally understand why more people aren't jumping on it. Their prior reputation is terrible, they can only rebound if they take a gamble and produce an nx2

I'm liking what I see video wise from the NX1. It feels very filmic to me. Love the battery life also. I'm working hard to get good with this camera. The Sony A7R was easy for me. I find I have to work harder with the NX1, but this is likely as I am using the 16-50 f2 lens and the A7R has a faster lenses. Still, the potential is there, and i some test shots that I did between the two I feel I'm starting to understand how to work within the camera's limitations. 

for stills I have absolutely no problem with the nx1 and the video is mind blowing ! I still think we are being robbed via the transcoding process but like you said the more you learn to work within the cameras limitations the more satisfied you become. Im thinking about picking up some fast Sigma primes for speed & resolution...im just not sure if there is an adapter that can manually adjust the aperture of nikon or canon lenses

arguably we do not know the metrics of their social media campaign to contribute success or lack of success to the sales of samsung cameras because of the hashtag. Cameras were selling way before the rise of social media. There undoubtably are other factors that would prevent someone from investing in the NX line. Top of the list (to me) as to why someone wouldn't buy an nx1 or nx2 if it ever happens is the fact that samsung has a long reputation of selling crap cameras...its hard to remove that stigma from your brand even when you create something as well developed as the nx1 

I'm not sure their reputation for crap cameras prevented sales. It probably had more to do with the fact that no one even knew they made cameras. Enthusiasts don't even know, much less consumers.

Don't know what's going to happen, but I would buy any camera from any manufacturer that is compatible with existing NX lenses and is superior to NX1. So if - say - Nikon or Canon or Pentax - buy the right of developing NX system, then I'll buy into them.

I'm not sure their reputation for crap cameras prevented sales. It probably had more to do with the fact that no one even knew they made cameras. Enthusiasts don't even know, much less consumers.

You wouldn't believe the number of times a rep (from another brand) told a customer 'don't look at Samsung cameras, they should stick to making fridges.' I've overhead Canon reps straight up lying about Samsung cameras to get a sale. If I were to criticise them, I'd say they over-expanded. Cameras are one of the most elitist, closeted, snobbiest industries in retail. I thought mobile phones were bad! (And yes, I've worked that sector too, never again).

Anyway who gives a shit, the NX1 is what I wanted the NX30 to be, in fact when I got my NX30 I sent Samsung specific photos of the camera set up in a shoulder rig, follow focus etc. They loved it. A year later, the NX1 was then marketed in a similar way. Not saying I'm responsible, but at least they started getting the idea.

Instinct tells me the Samsung NX story isn't over yet...

You wouldn't believe the number of times a rep (from another brand) told a customer 'don't look at Samsung cameras, they should stick to making fridges.' I've overhead Canon reps straight up lying about Samsung cameras to get a sale. If I were to criticise them, I'd say they over-expanded. Cameras are one of the most elitist, closeted, snobbiest industries in retail. I thought mobile phones were bad! (And yes, I've worked that sector too, never again).

Anyway who gives a shit, the NX1 is what I wanted the NX30 to be, in fact when I got my NX30 I sent Samsung specific photos of the camera set up in a shoulder rig, follow focus etc. They loved it. A year later, the NX1 was then marketed in a similar way. Not saying I'm responsible, but at least they started getting the idea.

Instinct tells me the Samsung NX story isn't over yet...

I agree, the lack of awareness is very damaging. Samsung themselves are partially to blame, they haven't oriented their marketing efforts to educate the public. As you said, most people think only of cell phones and home appliances when you say Samsung.

People are not aware just how big Samsung is. When you say Samsung, most people think of Samsung Electronics --- which is just one company of 'Samsung Group' (75+ sub-companies and affiliates in different industries). For example, most people on this forum may be surprised to learn that Samsung does work in nuclear power, civil engineering sky scrappers, and even military defense technology. Samsung revenue accounts for nearly 20% of South Korea's GDP. They have an obscene net worth and expertise in nearly every field, so the the idea that they wouldn't have the technical ability to produce stellar camera technology, as some 'elitists' like to claim, is baseless. 

However, technical ability is of course not the only term in the equation. If you have poor leadership, conflicting leadership, bean counters that don't understand the long-term vision ...... well what you get are engineers that are forced compromised.... then you can get sh!tty products, and as we all know they have released some duds in the past. With more recent products, and especially the NX1 the technical team was finally unleashed to do their best work --- but the fear now is that it might have come too late. If the camera operation had been under-performing for years, the NX1 could be perceived as a hail-Mary pass --- with the market not responding quite enthusiastically as they had hoped.

So now.... we're all left wondering what comes next. Do they have the grit to stick to a long-term play to garner respect and admiration in cameras, or has the sting of sustained losses scared them off.

Well the latest rumour is that Samsung will make a major announcement at ces. But there is no word on what that announcement will be.  Any guesses?

announcing an NX2 based on all our wants and needs we listed on eoshd

Yeah, I saw...

I have also been told to expect one major surprise!

~ http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/samsung-major-announcement-at-ces/

What would be a good surprise... hum... 'we're quitting, but we've got so much stock left that...'
oQ0EqRB.gif

... YOU GET ONE! AND YOU GET ONE! :)

or will they open source the fw? IMO that'd be on of the best news ever, and I'd immediately buy a second nx1 body.

Much better than a new model coming.

Keep in mind that someone has to develop the new staff in the firmware. And that takes time, and time is money so... 

If they are leaving the market, and there is going to be a big announcement at CES that is going to be "surprising", the most likely scenario would be that they have sold the camera division to another company, or have spun it off as an independent entity.

While that may mean that the technology developed at Samsung may live on, it probably won't be particularly useful to existing NX system owners since in the first case the mount would probably be abandoned and in the second case a spin off would be unlikely to have the resources needed to invest in keeping the system at the cutting edge.

A best case scenario would be the sale of the imaging division to a lens manufacturer (such as Sigma, Tamron or Samyang), with an agreement to license in sensor and processor technology developed in Samsungs phone and TV divisions.