jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

It could well be a very elaborate build up towards an April fools joke... They were probably like... 'guys, we have such a cool product, why isn't the media all over us? Who's got some ideas? We really need to think out of the box on this one'. Although they might've overdone it with that... perhaps just a little.

Anyways. If I can get the deal I think I might hopefully be able to get on the NX1 (which might be the case, I am asking around)...

I hope prices will drop quite considerably. The only camera with a bigger than 4/3" sensor is my D5300... and I just wish it was mirrorless. I'd rather have Sony nail it with the A6000's successor (hopefully with trickled down tech from the likes of the RX10M2, RX100IV, A7RII and A7SII), but I'm afraid they consider an APS-C mirrorless like that threatning to the A7-line, so they're probably going to restrict it in some ways. So, the NX1 will still be a great APS-C mirrorless option. Just for now, I think for the masses, or myself, the price is just way to high up there and personally would rather have a Nikon D750 that only does 1080p, but still being great at it and having something fullframe. Once the price drops to something like E-M1 12-40mm f/2.8 kit level (1789 EUR) and lower, it could start to get interesting though...

... one might just appear underneath the Christmas tree (yeah, sing it, Mariah!). That'd be with that damn S lens.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The slow dribble of European announcements is making it seem worse. Instead of one quick and painful "all of Europe" press release, which we would then get over, rather we're getting hit with individual announcements from each EU country. The aggregate pessimism from all these press releases will end up much higher than that generated by a single European press release would have been.

Yeah it's incredibly bone-headed.

And that makes zero sense because with lens kit it's $463.

The NX500 is falling fast in the US. It went from $599 to $499 to $463 in a very short time span. I have to buy at this price because I have a bunch of ebay gift cards I purchased at 15% off. So when Ebay has their 10% ebay bucks and if I sell the lens, my effective price would be $175 or so for an NX500 body.

Pretty good but it's those damn S lens that I want.

Didn't realize the kit is going for so low. I bought mine, body only, for 340, back in July before it went up to 550. It's been in my watch list since then and 409 is the biggest price drop since then. At 175, it's an absolute no brainer... You should love it. A great little cam, built like a brick. 

The slow dribble of European announcements is making it seem worse. Instead of one quick and painful "all of Europe" press release, which we would then get over, rather we're getting hit with individual announcements from each EU country. The aggregate pessimism from all these press releases will end up much higher than that generated by a single European press release would have been.

Assume the worst, it'll sting less that way.

I bought the NX500 body for 350 bucks. I have learned so much from this camera that it, nor Samsung, doesn't owe me anything.  I will use it until 8K becomes a staple and I will forever speak fondly of it, no matter what Samsung does with their camera division.

That's really nice to hear, seriously. I didn't work on it personally, but I know whatever the fate of the division the engineering team was doing their best till the very end. Especially cranking out those firmware releases, I have huge respect for them.

Especially cranking out those firmware releases, I have huge respect for them.

Yep, me too. Great engineers.

What a shame about the management, it seems... being of no clue how to sell the technology their great engineers are creating.

I think we all can agree that Samsung probably has the worst marketing and set of publicists money can buy LMAO ! Their damage control sucks ! Oh well still keeping my NX1 I just love the image way too much

If I am a muppet then you are miss piggy because the definition of stupid is not changing your mind when new information comes to hand

Hmmm... Good comeback, with the small exception that myself, plus nearly everyone here, has always held the smart opinion that something is clearly happening, yet the scale of it is still up in the air until any official announcement is made, especially when you consider that Samsung made this excact play with their chromebooks, which are still produced and sold in certain regions.

Myself and others have determined what to do with our NX cameras based on a mixture of giving worth to the rumours, plus a bit of research into Samsung's practices and likelihood of a full NX shut down.

The idea that you think anyone owes you an apology, simply for deciding how many rumors to believe before you made your mind up, is a little creepy.

If you had been digging around, really getting to the bottom of the story, it would be somewhat understable, yet still a little egotistical... But to just ride on the coattails of the work of others then demand an appology... Hmmm

Even if it's absolutely clear that something's going on with nx line, I'll hold till CES. Many sources seem to point out that we'll have formal announcements (new cameras? New lenses? Partnership? System demise?) by then.

Even if it's absolutely clear that something's going on with nx line, I'll hold till CES. Many sources seem to point out that we'll have formal announcements (new cameras? New lenses? Partnership? System demise?) by then.

I spoke to Devin Allen again...the guy who is one of many Samsung sponsored "image loggers" and he personally told me that they are coming out with a new set of primes...they also just gave him an nx1 to go with his nx500. It would be weird for them to inform their sponsored photographers that they are developing new lenses to fit their shooting needs. So yeah...they may shut down in a certain region cause it doesn't make sense to send product where no one is buying...I'll only worry if that trend hits the US...

The whole situation is weird. I just have a feeling we haven't seen the last from Samsung. But all this news about pulling out of regions is just odd. Especially if they are coming out with new Primes. I would be happy if they continued to churn out cameras in the US (selfishly, because other regions would really be getting hosed), but it just seems so odd to be eliminating the European market. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Maybe a partnership of some sort is on the horizon? The tech is so good, and Samsung is too big to get out of the camera market. But if they somehow stay in the game - even with all this craziness - they need to reconfigure how they run their marketing and outreach, because this whole thing has been handled with bonehead moves at every turn.

The whole situation is weird. I just have a feeling we haven't seen the last from Samsung. But all this news about pulling out of regions is just odd. Especially if they are coming out with new Primes. I would be happy if they continued to churn out cameras in the US (selfishly, because other regions would really be getting hosed), but it just seems so odd to be eliminating the European market. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Maybe a partnership of some sort is on the horizon? The tech is so good, and Samsung is too big to get out of the camera market. But if they somehow stay in the game - even with all this craziness - they need to reconfigure how they run their marketing and outreach, because this whole thing has been handled with bonehead moves at every turn.

definitely feel you. Hey for all we know they can be restructuring their marketing and pulling out of areas that don't work to focus all resources on areas that do. Im not sure if the camera supports PAL & NTSC out the box or if you have to buy a pal version ntsc version...cuz if all models support 25p then who cares if they are pulling out of europe. Order it off ebay and amazon like everyone else LOL

kid, very interesting. I remember having read, months ago, about a 24mm f1.4, which I'd buy immediately, day 1.

I'd still want a smaller, rangefinder shaped body with swivel display and tiltable EVF, but...that's asking too much I assume...

kid, very interesting. I remember having read, months ago, about a 24mm f1.4, which I'd buy immediately, day 1.

I'd still want a smaller, rangefinder shaped body with swivel display and tiltable EVF, but...that's asking too much I assume...

yeah dude, I personally hate the rangefinder styled bodies and the teeny tiny lenses. With bigger lenses the rangefinder styled bodies lacks the balance a traditional dslr has and makes a huge difference in handheld work (which is my style). I understand where you are coming from tho !

The guy from mirrorlessrumors(dot)com is working on a Samsung rumors... something surprising apparently...

his exact words are: "Now a spoiler alert. I am working on an exclusive Samsung rumor. Stay tuned. As there is a huge surprise."

I'm Wondering what now ! ^^

Samsung were already laying people off and reducing stock shipments back in 2013. The Imagelogger programme I was part of in the UK (2014) is the last one they did here. It closed down afterwards. Last time I popped into Jessops in Oxford Street, the Samsung armoire had been taken over by Panasonic. The amount they pay for those spaces... sheesh. I'm surprised Samsung didn't do all of this sooner to be honest, they were never getting any love from retail outlets regardless of what they did.

SAM_0420.JPG

2015-11-21 18.07.42.jpg

I think I see what the problem is with Samsung's cameras. Nobody is buying them.....literally. Look at ebay (US): 120 listings for the NX500, with many legit authorized sellers, with multiple quantities available, and the pricing has gone from $599 to $499 and 6thAve is selling them at $463.... all with lens kit. Now look at the sold listings. 2 NX500s have sold in the last 4 days: 1 open box new at $407 and 1 at $599 from some South Korea Seller.

Nobody is buying these cameras for whatever reason.

Samsung were already laying people off and reducing stock shipments back in 2013. The Imagelogger programme I was part of in the UK (2014) is the last one they did here. It closed down afterwards. Last time I popped into Jessops in Oxford Street, the Samsung armoire had been taken over by Panasonic. The amount they pay for those spaces... sheesh. I'm surprised Samsung didn't do all of this sooner to be honest, they were never getting any love from retail outlets regardless of what they did.

Obviously they're not selling in enough volume to justify whatever marketing fees these spaces cost, so why not strip down to an online only presence in countries where sales volume is low? I don't understand why they have to completely "pull out." 

I don't know about anyone else here, but 0% of my purchases are linked to visiting a kiosk like this. If I did visit a kiosk like this, it'd be after I'd already made a purchase decision. So that leaves consumers (who don't know anything about photography) as the target of a kiosk like this. And consumers will mainly rely on branding. Seems like Samsung would be better off spending their marketing dollars on word of mouth stuff, maybe sponsor some content in forums. 

Someone will have to explain the Imagelogger program to me. Here's a Devlin Allen Tweet from his Samsung camera:

I literally cannot tell from this Tweet that Samsung is involved. The hashtag doesn't seem to accomplish its purpose. 

1. Samsung isn't in the name

2. Samsung isn't in the name

3. It doesn't brand Samsung whatsoever. If I ever want to join the Imagelogger social justice campaign, on the other hand...

Better hashtags, back of the envelope style:

#SamsungDoes[insert city]. For Devlin Allen's awesome Baltimore photos, it'd be #SamsungDoesBalto

#SamsungImagelogger

#SamsungImagelog

#CapturedBySamsung

#SamsungLife

#SamsungImage

#SamsungNX or #SamsungNX1 or #Samsung NX500

Obviously they're not selling in enough volume to justify whatever marketing fees these spaces cost, so why not strip down to an online only presence in countries where sales volume is low? I don't understand why they have to completely "pull out." 

I don't know about anyone else here, but 0% of my purchases are linked to visiting a kiosk like this. If I did visit a kiosk like this, it'd be after I'd already made a purchase decision. So that leaves consumers (who don't know anything about photography) as the target of a kiosk like this. And consumers will mainly rely on branding. Seems like Samsung would be better off spending their marketing dollars on word of mouth stuff, maybe sponsor some content in forums. 

Someone will have to explain the Imagelogger program to me. Here's a Devlin Allen Tweet from his Samsung camera:

I literally cannot tell from this Tweet that Samsung is involved. The hashtag doesn't seem to accomplish its purpose. 

1. Samsung isn't in the name

2. Samsung isn't in the name

3. It doesn't brand Samsung whatsoever. If I ever want to join the Imagelogger social justice campaign, on the other hand...

Better hashtags, back of the envelope style:

#SamsungDoes[insert city]. For Devlin Allen's awesome Baltimore photos, it'd be #SamsungDoesBalto

#SamsungImagelogger

#SamsungImagelog

#CapturedBySamsung

#SamsungLife

#SamsungImage

#SamsungNX or #SamsungNX1 or #Samsung NX500

lol bro Devin Allen is most def a samsung sponsored photog. I KNOW him, check his IG you see the kids he teaches holding his NX1. I'll link you to tweets he sent me about. Fck a hashtag check his TL and you see most of his stuff tagged #imagelogger. You are just reaching at this point. imagelogger is most definitely samsungs branding and not a social justice program smh

lol bro Devin Allen is most def a samsung sponsored photog. I KNOW him, check his IG you see the kids he teaches holding his NX1. I'll link you to tweets he sent me about. Fck a hashtag check his TL and you see most of his stuff tagged #imagelogger. You are just reaching at this point. imagelogger is most definitely samsungs branding and not a social justice program smh

I'm totally assuming you're right about Devin Allen. I am criticizing Samsung's social media campaign which uses a hashtag that does not help sell Samsung cameras.

I'm totally assuming you're right about Devin Allen. I am criticizing Samsung's social media campaign which uses a hashtag that does not help sell Samsung cameras.

arguably we do not know the metrics of their social media campaign to contribute success or lack of success to the sales of samsung cameras because of the hashtag. Cameras were selling way before the rise of social media. There undoubtably are other factors that would prevent someone from investing in the NX line. Top of the list (to me) as to why someone wouldn't buy an nx1 or nx2 if it ever happens is the fact that samsung has a long reputation of selling crap cameras...its hard to remove that stigma from your brand even when you create something as well developed as the nx1