jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That makes me really happy.  I feel like they have so much potential as a camera company.  As much as I love blackmagic and what they're doing in the market, I still love the form factor of a DSLR for certain applications.  And I feel like Samsung has the best DSLR for video on the market.  Their features (especially at that cost). Their simple menu system. Their gorgeous rec.709 color science (I don't need / want a LOG profile, I'm shooting on a DSLR. Which means it's lower budget. Which means I'm not going to spend countless hours coloring it.  I reserve that time for bigger budgets, which permit me to use heavier-duty cameras and spend longer hours perfecting the LOG or raw image — sorry, that was sort of ranting).  

And if by that rant it wasn't obvious already, I'll just say it: I hate Sony cameras.  I love reading their spec sheets. But I cringe watching the footage. It's just ugly as butt (apart from their older line of sensors like the F35.  All these newer cameras with native 2000+ ISO crap just looks terrible). And while Sony isn't as expensive as Canon, it's still rather pricey. Especially when compared to what Blackmagic has to offer. The color science is gorgeous.  The menu system is intuitive.  The specs they provide are unmatched at the cost the offer. And for the same reasons that I love Blackmagic,  I love what Samsung has done in the DLSR market. And I'm so glad to see they are not going anywhere.

Anyone out there have some really stunning examples of videos shot with the NX1?

Every clip I shoot with NX1 is stunning...and I'm only slightly exaggerating! The colors and resolution are spectacular for its price range, and you don't even need special skills to produce great looking footage.

Every clip I shoot with NX1 is stunning...and I'm only slightly exaggerating! The colors and resolution are spectacular for its price range, and you don't even need special skills to produce great looking footage.

I've REALLY liked some of the stuff I've seen, but I'm not completely sold on 4K. Some shots are amazing, but some landscape shots just seem TOO detailed, like they'd crumble apart if you reached out and flicked the image.

I've REALLY liked some of the stuff I've seen, but I'm not completely sold on 4K. Some shots are amazing, but some landscape shots just seem TOO detailed, like they'd crumble apart if you reached out and flicked the image.

You do need to set a few basic things, the most important of which is sharpness to -10: default 0 is way too sharp and has artifacts at the edges. Also, default doesn't quite work for most high contrast situations, and contrast -5 with gamma DR really help without sacrificing colors or introducing banding. E.g., see my NX1 settings post for more on this.

It is the same rumour site that needs click bait, stating yet another, as yet unsubstantiated, Korean based rumour. For all we know, the Korean source may just be late to the party in reporting the previous rumour.

When rumours are flying about, it is best to just rely on the facts we currently do know, which is Samsung, just last month, said this was not happening.

Anything can change in business, but I wouldn't give to much credit to any rumours just yet.

It is the same rumour site that needs click bait, stating yet another, as yet unsubstantiated, Korean based rumour. For all we know, the Korean source may just be late to the party in reporting the previous rumour.

When rumours are flying about, it is best to just rely on the facts we currently do know, which is Samsung, just last month, said this was not happening.

Anything can change in business, but I wouldn't give to much credit to any rumours just yet.

I hope you're right, I was hoping there would be a follow-up to the NX1... Maybe an NX1 mkII?

In my country (Hungary) the press says our shops don't get any more Samsung cameras, they sell what they have left, and they also say it's the same in more European countries. I hope they are wrong, but I fear it's just a matter of time before we get an official announcement.

This is stupid if it turns out to be true.  Samsung could clear up if they brought out a 12mp NX1 with a 10 bit log profile for around the same price as a GH4.  No other company has an APSC 4k hybrid yet.  All other options are at least twice the price.  If it's true it makes me imagine they have been paid a lump sum by someone to bow out of this sector.

non of the video/photo companies are a rich as Samsung, so there it no way they were bought out. it is probably just not profitable for them. even if they put out a 12mp 6k 120fps camera it will not sell nowhere as much as canon or nikon will.

In Portugal, samsung cameras werent sold often (the highest model i've seen was the NX300, or NX500 if you order it online), and the NX1 was never released here...I ordered it from Italy, I dont think they'd quit the camera business, specially after winning so many awards with the NX1, but if they do, im still very confident the NX1 is the best video camera around, and im quite happy to have it.