jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

The biggest problem is find programmer(s) who is keen enough to spend his/their free time and investigate firmware. Thanks to Cellar Door - you are probably only one now. 

I think that hacking NX1 would be great oportunity for Magic Lantern team - unfortunately they do not probably care about it. I do not know - maybe the key of ML success lies in that people who developed it also owned Canons (5Ds at a beginning I think). Sadly - NX1 is not so common ... why would they develop something for "few" people? For camera they have actually never seen. I know that NX1 has probably great potential, but is probably not enough.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The biggest problem is find programmer(s) who is keen enough to spend his/their free time and investigate firmware. Thanks to Cellar Door - you are probably only one now. 

I think that hacking NX1 would be great oportunity for Magic Lantern team - unfortunately they do not probably care about it. I do not know - maybe the key of ML success lies in that people who developed it also owned Canons (5Ds at a beginning I think). Sadly - NX1 is not so common ... why would they develop something for "few" people? For camera they have actually never seen. I know that NX1 has probably great potential, but is probably not enough.

and this is where gofundme and kickstarter comes into play. These people need to be compensated for the time needed to produce a groundbreaking firmware ! The more supporters we get for a hack the better

That is exciting even for  a "dead" camera ;) 

But unless someone goes the ML route, the most that you can expect is increase in bitrates, removal of time limits and small things like that from simple mods of the firmware. Changing readout mode, sampling method, codec, bit depth etc requires extensive code rewriting and it would be a very very long project for one person. I doubt that the latter will happen now that the camera is discontinued. 

Even just an increase in bitrate would be great in order to remove the macroblocking.  

Even just an increase in bitrate would be great in order to remove the macroblocking.  

OK, it seems that all of us here agree that increase bitrate would be helpful and probably the best proof that hacking of NX1 is possible. So Cellar Door - it is up to you :-)

One thing that does bother me out of all of this is what Samsung's intentions are regarding fixing cameras & lenses that are OUT of warranty? 

I read on DPR that they just gave replacement lens to someone that was in warranty instead of fixing it. I can also verify that here in Hong Kong, Samsung replaced a faulty 50-150/2.8 (which was in warranty) with a brand new one to someone I know two weeks back.

I wonder if this is their plan. They have no desire to touch anything out of warranty any more. If in warranty they will simply replace it with new stock ... no warranty ... no fix.

If they do come out with a statement, I hope they also tell us exactly how long they plan to service cameras and lenses that are out of warranty. I have a feeling they won't service or fix anything out of warranty at all.

OK, it seems that all of us here agree that increase bitrate would be helpful and probably the best proof that hacking of NX1 is possible. So Cellar Door - it is up to you :-)

I do plan to look into it, it should be feasible I just need to investigate. Those of you that linked info on the fellow that did custom NX300 firmware, that's helpful --- he'll probably be more motivated if he has an NX1 himself, but it never hurts to ask! 

Also, I saw someone else mention Magic Latern. Looks like people had posted on the ML forum to see if there was any interest in this sort of thing, I found this thread from back in May: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15189.0

The main problem with hacking NX is that ppl that start these project use to "disappear" shortly after.

I understand the concern. I think in most cases people either don't know what they are getting into, or it ultimately becomes a lack of 'free time' issue.  If you guys download the .zip of NX1 source code I linked earlier you'll see that there's hundreds of files, many of which have thousands of lines of code each .... it can be daunting to come into that cold turkey and get your orientation --- which you need before you can effectively enhance any existing functionality, let alone add new features.

The source code could be written in C/C++, but being knowledgeable in the language itself doesn't guarantee success with something like this .... depending on the features you're attempting to add you may need intimate knowledge of the device hardware, computer vision and imaging algorithms, linear algebra and other niches of math involved with these sort of calculations.

I'm not trying to paint a rain cloud, just trying to provide some insight and theorize why some people might have the best of intentions but end up "disappearing". 

Anyway, I own a couple of NX1s and am quite fond of them so if I can do something to extend their longevity, I plan to explore it.  

Thx cellar. The guy over dpr that got rid of time limit in nx300 is not replying in that thread anymore. Perhaps just busy, but...

Anyway if you have nx1, and have knowledge in some of the fields that you quoted, you are now our best 'bet' for having something better from nx1. As said by most users, higher bitrate would be overdue.

Another thing that I'd like to see implemented in NX1, is the 4k crop mode from nx500 as an alternative to full sensor readout. That would work as a digital zoom for video and would come really handy with the 16-50S lens.

The code is there, buried somewhere in the NX500 fw, and the hw is very similar among the two cameras, so...it should be VERY possible. 

This, coupled with higher bitrate for all the 4K modes, would already make the nx1 a killer video camera. If also the 4:2:2 video compression could be implemented for internal recording, then many would not need another video camera for years to come, I guess...

So, summing up:

- higher bitrate for all the 4k modes (100 and 200Mbit/sec would be fantastic)

- cropped 4K mode

- 4:2:2 internal recording

Yes and I am sure it won't be long before the US market sees the same thing.

Now isn't quite the time for the non-believers in this thread to apologise to me for merely giving you the truth, but it will be soon.

You were a non believer in this thread, you muppet

If I am a muppet then you are miss piggy because the definition of stupid is not changing your mind when new information comes to hand.

A long time ago before it was obvious what was going on - just a single rumour - not a chorus of them coming from all over the place (even Samsung custom services) and some solid facts (seem to remember I was first of all the camera sites to give you the news about the Germany pull out).

The slow dribble of European announcements is making it seem worse. Instead of one quick and painful "all of Europe" press release, which we would then get over, rather we're getting hit with individual announcements from each EU country. The aggregate pessimism from all these press releases will end up much higher than that generated by a single European press release would have been.

FYI, the nx500 body only just dropped to $409 on eBay. 

And that makes zero sense because with lens kit it's $463.

The NX500 is falling fast in the US. It went from $599 to $499 to $463 in a very short time span. I have to buy at this price because I have a bunch of ebay gift cards I purchased at 15% off. So when Ebay has their 10% ebay bucks and if I sell the lens, my effective price would be $175 or so for an NX500 body.

Pretty good but it's those damn S lens that I want.