jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

I have seen these tests, but both are quite old (December 2014). That was way back on firmware 1.10. Do we have any conclusive tests on 1.40? Many things have changed on the NX1 since these tests were conducted. 

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This camera is becoming ever more tempting. I was musing an A7S or GH4.. but this kerfuffle has piqued my interested and really the colour looks fantastic, maybe even a bit over saturated? In fact generally speaking the sensor appears to me to be light years ahead.. but I can't get over the colour separation, it is just insane. Is this the result of the sensor being BSI? I'm really scratching my head here - WTF!

You can reduce saturation if you want. All the way down to greyscale.

NX1 with 16-50 mm "S" lens is now $2,200 USD. I first learned about this via Samsung's "Black Friday Deals" (their site says the price is good through December 26); but that price is also offered by major online retailers.

I'm a non-pro looking for my first interchangeable-lens digital camera, to be used for both stills and video.

It seems like a lot of camera for the money, but if the two market withdrawals reported so far are truly signs of Samsung leaving the camera business, then it wouldn't seem like a wise purchase in the medium and long term.

My main concerns would be lack of service and support and having lenses that wouldn't work on other systems once the NX1 body becomes outdated.

Then give us a custom software :)

Or source code for hackers :-D . (very unrealistic idea - if Samsung will end with cameras we should ask them as community to release full source code of NX1, it would became camera really shaped by its costumers  :-)) 

In Czech Republic (next to Germany) Samsung already stopped to sell cameras in April. There were even few reviews of NX1 in local photo servers and NX500 had its retail price... I think there was similar situation for other markets in Central and East Europe and as we can see - this process still continues (I hope that they will stay at least in US but I do believe that). 

Or source code for hackers :-D . (very unrealistic idea - if Samsung will end with cameras we should ask them as community to release full source code of NX1, it would became camera really shaped by its costumers  :-)) 

In Czech Republic (next to Germany) Samsung already stopped to sell cameras in April. There were even few reviews of NX1 in local photo servers and NX500 had its retail price... I think there was similar situation for other markets in Central and East Europe and as we can see - this process still continues (I hope that they will stay at least in US but I do believe that). 

Well actually, I have good news for you :d

Samsung DOES opensource the software for many of its cameras, including the NX1.

Their main site for this is @ http://opensource.samsung.com/

But you can find a .ZIP package of the source code for the NX1 (and cameras) with this direct link @ http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=T&menu_item=photography&classification1=digital cameras

Of course you have to have an idea what you are doing to modify and build new custom releases, but if you are C/C++ savvy and have patience it can be possible. 

As a quick example -- in the past I had an NX30. For video modes out-of-the-box it supported 1080P 30fps & 60fps, but curiously 24fps was restricted to 810p (Cinemascope?). Well that was annoying, I wanted 1080P @ 24fps .... so downloaded the NX30 source code from the aforementioned site and added a mode for it myself :)

Samsung DOES opensource the software for many of its cameras, including the NX1.

Their main site for this is @ http://opensource.samsung.com/

But you can find a .ZIP package of the source code for the NX1 (and cameras) with this direct link @ http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=T&menu_item=photography&classification1=digital cameras

Thank you very much for you suggestion. It seems to be very helpful - unfortunately I am not programmer so I cannot try to modify the firmware. Is there any chance you could try it? Eg. Increase maximum bitrate? It could be easy to identify it and modify it as there are already 3 options for bitrate...

Why don't you help in creating custom fw for nx1 with features added? That could be very useful.

Pavel & Marco I fully agree with you guys, it would be great if we could get a community driven effort to build custom fw.

Over the holiday season I can use some of my free time to take a look at the NX1 source code and see what some 'low hanging fruit' might be in terms of enhancements. Adding features can of course vary greatly in complexity, so the type of additions I mentioned in my prior post (new resolution & frame-rate options) were simpler changes to make.

Your suggestion for bitrate could be a good one .... the easiest points of attack are cases where the camera is technically capable of a particular function, but that option (for whatever reason) was not exposed in the camera's User Interface. Some of the improvements Samsung made to NX1 firmware after its initial release represent a serious time investment by a team of engineers, so to do more ambitious changes it would be great if I could find other enthusiasts with computer science backgrounds interested in collaborating.

With time, effort, and ability anything is possible though.

Pavel & Marco I fully agree with you guys, it would be great if we could get a community driven effort to build custom fw.

Over the holiday season I can use some of my free time to take a look at the NX1 source code and see what some 'low hanging fruit' might be in terms of enhancements. Adding features can of course vary greatly in complexity, so the type of additions I mentioned in my prior post (new resolution & frame-rate options) were simpler changes to make.

Your suggestion for bitrate could be a good one .... the easiest points of attack are cases where the camera is technically capable of a particular function, but that option (for whatever reason) was not exposed in the camera's User Interface. Some of the improvements Samsung made to NX1 firmware after its initial release represent a serious time investment by a team of engineers, so to do more ambitious changes it would be great if I could find other enthusiasts with computer science backgrounds interested in collaborating.

With time, effort, and ability anything is possible though.

That sounds promising, thank you very much for your effort. I wish I could help you more than just sayin what should be changed :-) 

Regarding change of resolution and I slightly doubt that it is possible (or maybe it is but without expected increase of quality) - it can be more complicated that just rewrite numbers. Eg. As Andrew said "The NX1 does shoot internally only to 3840 then up converts to 4096 horizontally and crops the aspect ratio vertically." - so even Samsung engineers were not able to change native resolution for 4096 mode. (And even if NX1 has 6,5k full pixel readout it cannot produce more than 24fps in 4096p)

It may be same with bitrate - we do not know if it helps to avoid macroblocking and increase picture quality for grading (or if camera can handle it). But I think it is a worth to try - just add new option for 150Mbps or 200 Mbps - that would be great.

200mb/s Bitrate I would donate money towards development

I would pay a grand, as would several others I think if:

1) You could somehow skip the down conversion step and get the full 6.5K readout from the sensor at 200 mb/s

2) 4:2:2 color (10-bit is a pipe dream as that might break the encoder)

I registered here just for this... Really upsetting news.  So not only this Holy Grale camera was never available in the region I live, they decided to leave the camera market in general? Finally  a tool that meets both stills and video shooters requirements and  they run away :( Had the plans to go abroad just to buy this camera, and they stop selling it in Europe..... The problem was not the camera and that it was made by Samsung, the one who makes decisions where to sell it should get fired or shot (with the "get brain" pistol) to the head...

On the mean time, apparently Samsung representatives tell that they are looking into the market demands and they see a decrease in demand for their product like NX1 (first begin selling it right, duh). Well there is an easy fix. So if it is true that Samsung cameras firmware is open source, which Tizen  should be for sure, then it is even easier to make what people did with Lumix GH2. After the wonderful video hack, Lumix G and GH lines got kicking and approved by the market, so if smart people could hack NX 1 to become even a better choice for media makers than GH2 was,  this camera could get so popular, that Samsung would be forced to make a grand return. I suspect key option to make it very attractive camera for anyone making serious videography could be  direct recording to Prores and color log addition. Depending on how flexible Tizen and hacking it can be, adding additional encoders should be possible as I believe NX1 is very capable.  So if the hacking will begin, I hope it is gonna be as successful as GH2 hack was, cause it made future cameras by Panasonic Lumix be number 1 choice for many video artists. Samsung NX 1 can be a perfect choice for video and photography artists. APS-C Sensors are still very useful, I used to like 4/3 sensors but APS-C is so much better for photography. 

I am still in shock. Double slap from Samsnung, they make something, that finally is this balanced tool covering both departments ( stills and video)  the one works in and in addition to not selling it in the country the one lives, they move away from entire regions like Europe. How did they expect great sales if they didn;t sell it? When I heard the rumor I thought they did the right decision by ditching compact cameras cause people use phones instead, but tools for serious photography and video stuff like NX 1 and NX30 stays. 

BECAUSE IT DIDN'T SELL VERY WELL.

To me it's like someone has planned to tour the world on bike and after 20 miles the bike tire punctures and s/he quits the idea of touring the world... Samsung it's a gigantic company, producing the NX1 has been a huge investment, they can't stop it now, because it didn't sell in the first year. It's either brain-less direction or marketing... 

200mb/s Bitrate I would donate money towards development

I would pay a grand, as would several others I think if:

1) You could somehow skip the down conversion step and get the full 6.5K readout from the sensor at 200 mb/s

2) 4:2:2 color (10-bit is a pipe dream as that might break the encoder)

hey man we should do a kick starter for this ! So far more than anything I need a custom firmware that has options to complete remove in camera sharpening and noise reduction. Higher bit rate would be cool if we can get an optimized use of bit rate like how it was done on the gh2...just now with the awesome h.265 codec. The removal of in camera sharpening should help make effective use of the bit rate since detail especially sharpened detail chews up all that data. In camera 422 especially for 1080 would be cool as well. Im excited !