jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

When I first tried it with the Samsung pancake lenses that doesn't have OIS, didn't perform well at all.

With the 16-50mm S, it combines with the OIS and is utterly amazing.

Yeah could be the transcoding. It does look more compressed that what I get out of the NX1 on Pro setting H.265, transcoded to ProRes 422 using EditReady.

But hey - look at the eye... whites actually crystal clear white on the NX1 shot. On the GH4 side the white is grey due to noise. The colours jump out at you on the NX1 shot, brilliant blue, zero noise. On the GH4 it barely has a signal coming through... muddy blue to say the least.

I have not transcoded my footage, but if you don't see the issue on your files, very well. 
About the DIS, the combination with the 16-50S OIS is impressive but not so good @40-50mm if you pan, even a bit.
The DIS is excellent with the 45mm and 30mm pancakes, but you need to use a fast shutter speed.
IMO, i have never found the 16-50S OIS really good at the long end (maybe i have a bad sample), especially in comparison with the 12-35 Lumix (latest firmware) or the 16-50PZ. However, the 50-150S has a really excellent OIS, far better than the 35-100 Lumix,  it's a dream to use.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I bought an A7rii as my primary still/video camera, however I'm going to trade my GH4 in for an NX1 I think! Use it as my backup/video camera. Seems to do everything the GH4 does but better, and it will fit on my beholder DS1 better than the GH4 with adapted lens ...I really like the look of those S lens - simply brilliant images and videos.

I am just doing Normal picture profile, sharpness down -5 but not all the way down, black levels all the way up in the main menu and 16-235 for the luma range. You can shoot 0-255 as well but on my Mac in Premiere it is clipped to 16-235 and you have to add the Fast Colour Corrector to fix the clipping, so easier just to change it to 16-235 in-cam and avoid the clipping issue.

Thanks for that ... will try these settings as well.

Been messing around with many setting looking for a close to SOOC nice natural look and found on these OK with a little adjustment after ... Standard (Normal Gamma)  ... Green = 95%, Saturation = -2, Sharpness = -10, Contrast = 0, MBL +10.

Not a bad OOC look I reckon. I just lowered the shadows a bit after to give it some pop. I love the colours this cam produces, but sometimes find the blacks look too inky and too black.

It's amazing the full size frame grabs you can get from this cam .. they look you were shooting stills :) 

NX1.01.A.thumb.jpg.a70350539697bcb835d1cNX1.01.B.thumb.jpg.0f651b3c48529304ef5b1NX1.02.A.thumb.jpg.2ca4b531c26efc910f5b4NX1.02.B.thumb.jpg.c81214b379139aab6c637NX1.03.A.thumb.jpg.1188731439692cec49e66NX1.03.B.thumb.jpg.a8923490080ddb351e508

Hey all, just wanted to ask really quickly which setting everyone uses in camera between 4K DCI and UHD. I have heard that you get more resolution (ironically) in the UHD setting. I even believe I might have read that posted by Andrew a while back. I didn't know if maybe that was a firmware issue that was later fixed or not, and wanted to get your guys' thoughts. Thanks.

Yes apparently, and it's not firmware, it's just that apparently the sensor 4K is actually 3840x2160 and it's just digital conversion somehow to produce 4096x2160.

I'm curious if the same is true for the NX500, which only offers 24p in 4096x2160. The native 3840x2160 is only offered in 30p on the NX500.

OK now this is a real situation from a consumer that goes  to B&H at least once a month.. Every time I visit the samsung booth it's shoved in the back and only has a few cameras.. Theres also only 1 employee that acts like they dont want to be there..Everytime I speak to one of employees In the booth they new very little about the product and we're fiddling with there cell phone.. All the other camera booths had at least 4 employees that were very informative  and passionate about the products.. I have quit a few friends here in NY that are pro videographers and photographers and they all said if they showed up to a high end shoot with a samsung they'll be laughed out the door by there client..The only camera there interested in slightly is the sony a7s purely for its low light and that would be a b camera for certain situations.....just like beta was a better quality in video back in the day vhs won out...

Yes apparently, and it's not firmware, it's just that apparently the sensor 4K is actually 3840x2160 and it's just digital conversion somehow to produce 4096x2160.

I'm curious if the same is true for the NX500, which only offers 24p in 4096x2160. The native 3840x2160 is only offered in 30p on the NX500.

There is zero evidence for this, yet I see this stated everywhere, albeit with caveats like "apparently," "I read somewhere," and "someone told me." I've seen absolutely no difference in resolution between 4096 and 3840. Obviously shooting at 3840 at 23.976 is going to stress the codec a bit less than 4096 at 24, but the assertion that NX1 is shooting internally at 3840 and then converting to 4096 makes no sense as the sensor has a much bigger resolution than 4096 to begin with.

I am just doing Normal picture profile, sharpness down -5 but not all the way down, black levels all the way up in the main menu and 16-235 for the luma range. You can shoot 0-255 as well but on my Mac in Premiere it is clipped to 16-235 and you have to add the Fast Colour Corrector to fix the clipping, so easier just to change it to 16-235 in-cam and avoid the clipping issue.

Andrew,

Appeciate this info on firmware 1.4 settings. A question arises though. If you are using "Normal" picture profile, how do adjust sharpness? You can adjust it if in "Gamma DR" or "Gamma C, but not in "Normal". Also, on blacks are you referring to master black level at "0" or pushed higher? Lastly, are you still recommending backing off green to x0.95?

The NX1 does shoot internally only to 3840 then up converts to 4096 horizontally and crops the aspect ratio vertically.

Samsung themselves told me this and all the resolutions tests verify this.

Can you point to these resolution tests? I wouldn't believe any word from any Samsung or other rep till we can actually see the evidence, they've been wrong too many times before. Doing a down-res to 3840 and then up-res to 4096 makes no sense to me.

I have quit a few friends here in NY that are pro videographers and photographers and they all said if they showed up to a high end shoot with a samsung they'll be laughed out the door by there client..The only camera there interested in slightly is the sony a7s purely for its low light and that would be a b camera for certain situations.....just like beta was a better quality in video back in the day vhs won out...

Well the photography thing is easy.  There is no system.  The lack of lenses has been mentioned multiple times in this thread.  Also it isn't full frame.  And of course the support network is lacking.  With Canon you can get it repaired in a lot of major cities and of course you can rent a Canon lens almost anywhere.

just like beta was a better quality in video back in the day vhs won out...

Actually it is the exact opposite of Beta.  Beta lived for years amongst pros long after it died amongst consumers.  And the NX1 could live years amongst amateurs long after pro photographers drive the final nail into its coffin.

Can you point to these resolution tests? I wouldn't believe any word from any Samsung or other rep till we can actually see the evidence, they've been wrong too many times before. Doing a down-res to 3840 and then up-res to 4096 makes no sense to me.

At the NX1 launch, DCI 4k mode was really soft in comparison with UHD mode. However, with the recents firmwares, it is sharper than before but possibly still upscaled.

DCI 4k :

5650aded0ed0a_SAM_8237.MP4_snapshot_00.0

UHD :

5650ae235bcad_SAM_8238.MP4_snapshot_00.0

Thanks for that. Well, I just did a test to check it out for myself (firmware 1.40). Below are the original UHD and DCI frames, along with a comparison of the center of the frame, which I created by up-scaling UHD in Photoshop.

The DCI is in fact a tad sharper from the up-res version of UHD (meaning it's better than a simple in-camera crop/up-res from UHD). Still, I'm not claiming it is conclusive, and till we know for sure, people shouldn't be throwing around claims one way or another.

UHD.png

DCI.png

UHD-DCI.jpg

NX1 is back on the market in Norway (JapanPhoto, didn't notice them leaving any other store) after their announcement of discontinuing sales (as mentioned earlier in the thread) - guess they sold well on discount (albeit still at a discount, lying at 7999 NOK (~870 eur))

Didn't really talk to any of the storeowners about the situation. Last time I did they implied samsung products were never sold, and that was the day before I picked up my NX1 from the same cashier. A PR-stunt perhaps? :p

NX1 is back on the market in Norway (JapanPhoto, didn't notice them leaving any other store) after their announcement of discontinuing sales (as mentioned earlier in the thread) - guess they sold well on discount (albeit still at a discount, lying at 7999 NOK (~870 eur))

Didn't really talk to any of the storeowners about the situation. Last time I did they implied samsung products were never sold, and that was the day before I picked up my NX1 from the same cashier. A PR-stunt perhaps? :p

Nice deal!! 870 Euro for Body Only, Body + PowerZoom kit lens, or Body + S lens??

I'm a Samsung Engineer (computer, not camera!), curious how well they are selling now compared to our 'employee discount' price ;)

I can say that during the midst of all this rumor confusion the employee price has changed a few times -- adds to the confusion!

Andrew,

Appeciate this info on firmware 1.4 settings. A question arises though. If you are using "Normal" picture profile, how do adjust sharpness? You can adjust it if in "Gamma DR" or "Gamma C, but not in "Normal". Also, on blacks are you referring to master black level at "0" or pushed higher? Lastly, are you still recommending backing off green to x0.95?

If you choose "Normal" Gamma the camera will default to the "Picture Wizard" settings you have in the photo menu for the video settings. You can then adjust the standard settings the same way as you would the gamma settings.

Nice deal!! 870 Euro for Body Only, Body + PowerZoom kit lens, or Body + S lens??

I'm a Samsung Engineer (computer, not camera!), curious how well they are selling now compared to our 'employee discount' price ;)

I can say that during the midst of all this rumor confusion the employee price has changed a few times -- adds to the confusion!

Then give us a custom software :)

https://www.cinema5d.com/lab-review-samsung-nx1-video-mode-frustrating/

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=www.slashcam.de%2Fartikel%2FTest%2FErste-Schaerfe-Charts-der-Samsung-NX1---Starker-4K-Konkurrent-.html&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&sl=de&tl=en

these two tests clearly show UHD is better, it's not just internet conjecture, it's been a known fact for awhile