jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

There is no way to turn off noise reduction in video with the NX1, a lot of fine details are removed  even at ISO 400 in low light.

The codec preserves fine detail at ISO 400, noise reduction doesn't play a part.

What you are probably seeing... you don't show us an example (why?)... is a badly underexposed and underlit shot with large areas of low contrast, low detail that the codec has compressed more than the better lit parts of the frame. Nothing to do with NR and you show me a camera shooting compressed video that DOESN'T do that!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The codec preserves fine detail at ISO 400, noise reduction doesn't play a part.

What you are probably seeing... you don't show us an example (why?)... is a badly underexposed and underlit shot with large areas of low contrast, low detail that the codec has compressed more than the better lit parts of the frame. Nothing to do with NR and you show me a camera shooting compressed video that DOESN'T do that!

Yes, it could be the codec or both.
Here is a frame grab in 4k cropped with the 16-50S @ 50mm and the 12-35 @ 35mm  @ 800 ISO.

Test.thumb.jpg.78bb1aefd0eaad3ab0a6a6e14e872d9b.jpg

By pure chance, I just posted this on DPR:

"But the best thing would be...selling to Canon the whole NX1 technology, so that they could start making it under Canon name, keeping compatibility with NX lenses."

Sheesh. NX1 with the kit zoom, $1400 or so last week. Gives you that F 4 wide you want on steadicams or gimbals, with useable AF. For regular video shooting, stick anything on it, old Nikkors in my case. Yum.

My understanding: to market a product in the US, consumer laws favor having a parts & service chain for x-number of years. For cars it's 10. So if the NX1 breaks, it's likely fixable for some time.

If you're just out of school and every penny counts, go ahead and agonize. But if you make a living with this stuff? I generally hope to get a year or two from a camera purchase. By the time owning the NX1 gets dicey, I'll have bought whatever new thing has come along (and it may be a while until we see something that hits all the buttons the NX1 does for close to $1k). Doesn't seem like a big deal to drop $2k or so into a "I own it" camera setup for non-rental gigs that can do a hell of a lot of stuff and is years ahead of the competition at that price point. (And I have zero interest in full frame for video. Hollywood flicks don't have that look, and "Hollywood" is the look I follow for business video clients. F4 is usually just fine.) 

I still use a Panasonic AC 130 for event shooting. I'm, what, 3 or 4 years in on that for under $4k? It paid for itself in a couple weeks, and every time I use it, I'm thinking "damn, they got it right with this camera". Yeah, I may go 4K for a "video" camera for events, but it's gonna have to be really good to replace that Panny.  I could see the NX1 holding that same spot for my "pretty/planned shooting" camera. Sounds like a great deal regardless of Samsung's future (though a month ago, I could have seen replacing my stills business Nikons with NX. Maybe not now…)

Yes, it could be the codec or both.
Here is a frame grab in 4k cropped with the 16-50S @ 50mm and the 12-35 @ 35mm  @ 800 ISO.

Test.thumb.jpg.78bb1aefd0eaad3ab0a6a6e14e872d9b.jpg

You are shooting at 50mm with the S lens. Resolution is softer at that particular focal length.

Shoot at 35mm like the other camera.

Also, apertures are you using? That will affect things such as depth of field and resolution as well.

There is no way to turn off noise reduction in video with the NX1, a lot of fine details are removed  even at ISO 400 in low light.

im not seeing that at all. There's so much fine detail that even at 1600 I have to use heavy diffusion filtration or gaussian blur...maybe its your transcoding ? Lens ? Idk. The fact that the camera doesn't have an aliasing filter puts even more detail into the image...but I would agree there is some noise reduction going on but not to the level where it becomes obtrusive 

The NX1 clearly has some additional noise reduction going on internally that we don't control, you can tell this from how high ISO looks. It reminds me of that aggressive NR they apply on their TV systems.

I thought you weren't a fan of the DIS(?)

When I first tried it with the Samsung pancake lenses that doesn't have OIS, didn't perform well at all.

With the 16-50mm S, it combines with the OIS and is utterly amazing.

im not seeing that at all. There's so much fine detail that even at 1600 I have to use heavy diffusion filtration or gaussian blur...maybe its your transcoding?

Yeah could be the transcoding. It does look more compressed that what I get out of the NX1 on Pro setting H.265, transcoded to ProRes 422 using EditReady.

But hey - look at the eye... whites actually crystal clear white on the NX1 shot. On the GH4 side the white is grey due to noise. The colours jump out at you on the NX1 shot, brilliant blue, zero noise. On the GH4 it barely has a signal coming through... muddy blue to say the least.

When I first tried it with the Samsung pancake lenses that doesn't have OIS, didn't perform well at all.

With the 16-50mm S, it combines with the OIS and is utterly amazing.

Yeah could be the transcoding. It does look more compressed that what I get out of the NX1 on Pro setting H.265, transcoded to ProRes 422 using EditReady.

I have the two S lens, but yes, it is pretty impressive. Handheld the footage looks almost like you have it set up on a tripod.

Andrew, can you please post the latest settings you are trying again on 1.4? I know you mentioned them somewhere on one of these threads but I can't find them. Cheers.

Would be nice to have one of those "post your settings" threads for the NX1. Lot's of people are tweaking the camera settings for different situations ... good to have them in a central thread. Not sure if a thread like this already exists?

I am just doing Normal picture profile, sharpness down -5 but not all the way down, black levels all the way up in the main menu and 16-235 for the luma range. You can shoot 0-255 as well but on my Mac in Premiere it is clipped to 16-235 and you have to add the Fast Colour Corrector to fix the clipping, so easier just to change it to 16-235 in-cam and avoid the clipping issue.

Folks shouldn't be hesitating on the camera. I got mine two weeks back and the initial tests have been amazing. I'm also baffled by how a 300mb-ish file becomes 2GB when converted to Prores LT. 

ISO1600, straight off the camera:
Screenshot_(3).thumb.jpg.f8de271f12e288d

ISO 800 maybe, I'm not sure (indoor lighting was primarily florescent tubes):
Screenshot_(27).thumb.jpg.6e098596b1e549

Andrew, you have absolutely right, if you say to Samsung making two adapters: 1) nx1 to eos with eletronics; 2) nx1 to Oct19; I purchase immediately NX1;

You can immediately turn my request to Samsung!!!

Today:

The secret of sucess is good camera, (nx1 it already),it has a mount very near the sensor with electronics easy to adapt for adapters Eos, or any other

theres tons of awesome stuff about the nx1, and in terms of color samsung is WAY ahead of the game with this as their FIRST 'serious' camera (!!!!) amazing!

i was really looking forward to an nx2, and i hope that still happens. clearly im not alone as we're on page 27 of this thread rn

Hey all, just wanted to ask really quickly which setting everyone uses in camera between 4K DCI and UHD. I have heard that you get more resolution (ironically) in the UHD setting. I even believe I might have read that posted by Andrew a while back. I didn't know if maybe that was a firmware issue that was later fixed or not, and wanted to get your guys' thoughts. Thanks.