jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

they monitor regions carefully and act accordingly.

Exactly, as does every company on the planet. The problem is people assume what happens where they live is what's happening everywhere. And we in the US are as guilty of that as anyone else, I'll admit.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is probably the statement they give all their retail stores a few weeks ago, when news of them shutting down first leaked (or leaked the 2nd time?). But all that says to me is that people are connecting dots that aren't necessarily there...

Here's what they did say: Samsung is phasing out sales and marketing of their cameras in Germany (and probably other countries as well).

Here's what they didn't say: Samsung is shutting down their camera business and will seize to manufacture any cameras in the future.

I know it sounds like wishful thinking, but until we hear Samsung say "our camera division is done!" I don't think we can know for sure until they say for sure what any of this actually means. This "official statement" says absolutely nothing that we didn't already know.  I think a lot of people have run with this and made it something it isn't... not yet, at least. But like I said, probably wishful thinking.

Samsung still has inventory to reduce and confirming that the camera division is dead would not help sales.  I'm waiting for the "After Christmas sales".  $500 for the a NX1 w/ lens.  Even if the NX1 would go to $500, not sure if it would be worth it.  If one buys an NX1, and it breaks, your expensive samsung lenses basically turn into bricks because there isn't really a marketplace for them.  yeah, you can get something for it, but not that much compared to lenses of other systems that are adaptable.  Also, one could buy another 2nd hand NX1... but as the years go on, there will be a diminishing amount of rapidly obsoleting stock of 2nd hand NX1.

If the price ever hits $300 for the NX1 w/lens, then I'll buy it.  Otherwise, I think it's better to save the money and buy something else. Sony a7000???  hahahaha...

Samsung still has inventory to reduce and confirming that the camera division is dead would not help sales.  I'm waiting for the "After Christmas sales".  $500 for the a NX1 w/ lens.  Even if the NX1 would go to $500, not sure if it would be worth it.  If one buys an NX1, and it breaks, your expensive samsung lenses basically turn into bricks because there isn't really a marketplace for them.  yeah, you can get something for it, but not that much compared to lenses of other systems that are adaptable.  Also, one could buy another 2nd hand NX1... but as the years go on, there will be a diminishing amount of rapidly obsoleting stock of 2nd hand NX1.

If the price ever hits $300 for the NX1 w/lens, then I'll buy it.  Otherwise, I think it's better to save the money and buy something else. Sony a7000???  hahahaha...

They might as well pay you to own it at this point :p

You know what, some of these comments remind me what Samsung are up against to educate potential customers about the benefits of their system.

It has some drawbacks but mainly it didn't sell because people just didn't "get it".

Philip Bloom didn't get it either... he bought the NX1, didn't like camera, didn't hear a squeak about it on his blog.

Am I the only one that actually thinks Samsung were hard done by in 2015??

I definitely think it has gotten a undeserved poor reception. Once the next Adobe update lands with H265 support, I think a large portion of the previous hold outs will buy. The 4K image is gorgeous out of it, I don't get why people keep attacking the thing.

BECAUSE IT DIDN'T SELL VERY WELL.

They didn't say their camera didn't sell well (or as expected), they refer to the "standalone cameras, camcorders and accessories as undergoing a gradual and sustained decline". They don't make camcorders and accessories however, so in other words from their point of view there was not much upside to the market in general in Germany for all cameras, not only Samsung ones, and that is the reason for pulling out.

Posters on DPReview who have spoken to sales people at a number of outlets commented that they were surprised by the decision because from their perspective the NX systems were selling well.

So I think it is more of a general view of Samsung regarding the future of cameras as a whole, rather than just their products. They might just think that the space simply isn't big enough to make the effort worthwhile. IMO they actually came to this conclusion even before the NX1 was released, and subsequent marketing essentially was to recover whatever investment they could.

If this is correct then the time for rapid innovation in the industry may be slowing down for all manufacturers, not just Samsung, which is not good for us.

Even if it breaks, at $500 an NX1 together with a full priced S lens would still be a lot cheaper than its nearest competition, the a7RII. The Sony could break as well, and even with the lens factored in, replacing it would be more expensive than the NX1 system at that price.

Anything under $1k is probably a pretty good deal. At that price you could treat the lens as a throwaway and still be ahead of the Sony.

I definitely think it has gotten a undeserved poor reception. Once the next Adobe update lands with H265 support, I think a large portion of the previous hold outs will buy. The 4K image is gorgeous out of it, I don't get why people keep attacking the thing.

Wrong logo on the faceplate, that's why.

The mount may be a factor but I don't think that was the main factor.

The problem is what came before the NX1 and Samsung simply paid for their lack of competence. Samsung was the first to bring WiFi to mirrorless cameras but aside from that, they didn't do anything right. Their first cameras had all sort of issues, laggy camera, poor low light performance, slow everything. They took too long to fix any of that and even the next models didn't bring anything that could work properly. Samsung's NX is just as old as Sony's NEX, Sony took a generation or two to really start to gain traction, that's when they came up with the NEX-6, NEX-7, 50mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/1.8 - and not much for APS-C ever since.

It wasn't until the NX1 that Samsung started to do something right and by that time it was kind of too late. All of that beside the fact that for all that time Samsung kept talking about how they were going to be #1 in the mirrorless market. During the time Samsung was developing the NX1, Fuji got into mirrorless and got a solid niche for themselves, Sony put APS-C completely aside and moved on to FF. Had Samsung acted quicker, trying to secure APS-C mirrorless video market they could had some success. Sony was making a test with the RX1, if Samsung had seen the potential and prepared for FF mirrorless, they could had been there right after Sony, had they offered something like the NX1 in a FF body, they would have internal 4K before Sony. Samsung even threw a Hail Mary with a 1" interchangeable lens system that went nowhere, had they went after the RX100 with something similar, they may had better success as well. Samsung insisted in not having EVF on their mid-range cameras when Panasonic was investing in the GX series, Olympus with the E-M series and Fuji came up with the X-T series.

It wasn't just one mistake but a series of it and unfortunately, although it proved to be a very interesting camera, the NX1 came a bit too late. Hopefully they might take all of these lessons and apply that into a new camera system, maybe a FF one, who knows? But I would like to see the good things they've done with the NX1 into some new cameras and do it right this time. Samsung has very interesting tech and they were pretty active with their firmware updates and it's great to have someone as big as Samsung doing that since Sony is not so much into smaller but great practical improvements.

Why do people keep ignoring the fact that this is not unprecedented.

Samsung Chromebooks are discontinued in Europe, but sell very well in Asia and USA and are highly rated.

Unless the NX range is tanking wordlwide, this is just what Samsung has said from the start... they monitor regions carefully and act accordingly.

Yes, the statement says "digital cameras and camcorder and accessories"  They didn't really say anything that isn't already known, that they're pulling their retail displays in Germany.  In an interview with one of the top Canon executives the Canon exec intimated that even he couldn't control what markets the marketing division sold their cameras in (the EOS-M in that case).  It's probably the same with Samsung.  The exec in charge of global marketing decided to pull back from Germany.  He probably has little idea what Samsung wants to do, R&D/Manufacturing wise.  All he looks at is the numbers and spends his budget int he markets that make the most sense to him.  My 2-cent opinion remains that Samsung will continue to make and develop digital cameras.    

You know what, some of these comments remind me what Samsung are up against to educate potential customers about the benefits of their system.

It has some drawbacks but mainly it didn't sell because people just didn't "get it".

Philip Bloom didn't get it either... he bought the NX1, didn't like camera, didn't hear a squeak about it on his blog.

Am I the only one that actually thinks Samsung were hard done by in 2015??

Agreed. And I have not seen ANY blogger/reviewer extol NX1's capabilities the way you've done without reservation...big props to you for having the guts to go out on a limb in support of an underdog like Samsung. Having said that, you haven't always been all out for NX1 yourself, especially in your (IMO biased) comparison with the 1Dc, which you painted as pretty much a direct gift from the heavens.

Most commercial video shoots I've crewed on have C300's and 5D Mk III's. 

The photographers also shoot Canon....1D, 5D, 7D. Everybody has EF lenses. Every single person with a camera. 

If Samsung wanted to make a big impact, they should sell or package up an electronic EF adapter with the camera and market the hell out of it. 

Even if it breaks, at $500 an NX1 together with a full priced S lens would still be a lot cheaper than its nearest competition, the a7RII. The Sony could break as well, and even with the lens factored in, replacing it would be more expensive than the NX1 system at that price.

Anything under $1k is probably a pretty good deal. At that price you could treat the lens as a throwaway and still be ahead of the Sony.

a7RII is not a competitor to the NX1 (full frame vs. crop).  Whole different league.  Right now NX1 is probably the best camera in it's niche (crop, video/pictures camera).  However, for $1000, it's going to be competing against a6000 w/pretty good lens (and the upcoming a7000, not to mention dark horses that we don't see).  I would also put the gh4 in the mix.  And isn't the gh5 going to be showing up soon?  A lot of these cameras are "slightly worse" and some slightly more expense than the NX1, but these slightly worse" cameras will have a better lens selection, more serviceable, have new accessories, better resale value, etc.  Also, the lenses of these "slightly worse" cameras can be used in newer camera models.

Unless you are a professional that needs something that the NX1 has that other cameras can't give you, I personally think NX1 with a good lens is worth no more than $500.  Personally,  I would rather take that $500 put it towards something in the Sony camp so for me, $300 or bust ;-P  hahahaa..  At the end of the day, the NX1/samsung system should be treated as disposable.  If it breaks, the odds are you aren't going to be fixing it (if the parts are even available in the future).  In any case, the price of the NX1 system will also depend on the level of supply which we don't know.  However, samsung did basically give away the nx500 for free during Pix Photo so perhaps there are a lot of NX1 sitting around somewhere in which case I will have my hard earned $300 ready :-) hahhaahha

a7RII is not a competitor to the NX1 (full frame vs. crop).  Whole different league.

Dear Sony fan boy.

Are you speaking for video or stills?

Because it certainly isn't a "whole different league" we're talking about for video between the NX1 and A7R II. I should know, I have both!

The A7R II does the best quality 4K in Super 35mm crop mode.

The quality of the full frame 4K is worse than the NX1's 4K.

Right now NX1 is probably the best camera in it's niche (crop, video/pictures camera).  However, for $1000, it's going to be competing against a6000 w/pretty good lens

A6000 is a NX1 rival for video?

NOW we can talk different leagues!! Mushy 1080p vs crystal clear 4K. Aliasing and moire vs none. 60fps max vs 120fps 1080p. H.264 vs H.265. And does Sony have a 16-50mm F2.0-F2.8 OIS for it? Nope.

Then there's the body... NX1 is far higher build quality and has top panel LCD, more comfortable EVF and far more physical control.

Unless you are a professional that needs something that the NX1 has that other cameras can't give you, I personally think NX1 with a good lens is worth no more than $500.

You my friend are making deluded statements.

The NX1 is $1499 and it shoots better quality video than a $10,000 Canon C300.

By good lens you must mean the 16-50mm F2.0-F2.8

If you think a lens of that quality can be bundled with a camera like the NX1 for 500 dollars you are truly deluded.

The lens alone is $1000 of pure quality.

The NX1 is a 6.5K Super 35mm sensor doing oversampled 4K from that full 6.5K readout on a new copper process, cutting edge CMOS in it, cutting edge logic chips. The AF and many features are actually custom chips. NOT software run. The thing is expensive to make and packs more sophisticated tech into it than just about any other camera on the market. It is about 5 years in advance of Canon's highest end consumer DSLR for pure processing power alone.

Personally,  I would rather take that $500 and buy something in the Sony camp so for me, $300 or bust ;-P  hahahaa..

Idiotic.

The NX1 is about to be a secret weapon for me im glad it didn't sell LOL ! An NX1 coupled with some vintage lenses and you get loads of character. Super 35 in my opinion is a happy medium between super shallow dof of full frame and the "everything in focus look" of micro 4/3. I can easily shoot news style documentaries or a stylish short with it no problem. The ISO performance aint that big of a deal and most of all charts can't measure aesthetics....just resolution...and it's got plenty of res with a 6.5k sensor

A lot of people are overthinking this ;)  The latest statistics I've seen is that about 10 million high-end DSLR are sold every year.  The Magic Lantern site has about 46,000 registered users, many who have probably moved onto other things.  EOSHD may have about 26,000 users, but my sense is that only about 1,000, if that, engage in comments, so figure about 10,000 have any meaningful interest.  Even at 26K, you're talking 0.25% of the market.   Samsung probably sells more camera on its own website that it sells to EOSHD members through any channel.  I just went to their site and read I could order the NX1 with the high-end lens, but it was "backordered".  If they were going to discontinue the camera wouldn't now be a good time?  

Samsung has assets of half a trillion dollars.  It has revenues of almost $200 billion a year.  They don't care what independent filmmakers think.  They only care what products they can bundle with their TVs, tablets, laptops, smartphones, projectors, etc.  When 4K TVs take off you can bet the Samsung retail displays will be back and the cameras will sell to people who don't know, and never want to know, the difference between MFT, crop-sensor or full-frame, or any of that.  

Again, you have half a trillion dollars in assets, you're worried about one (cameras) of hundred of products you manufacture?   

As for them putting an EF mount, or anything to appeal to EOSHD users, again, WE ARE NOT THEIR MARKET!  I'm sure Samsung engineers are thrilled indie filmmakers like their cameras, but at top, they only care if someone takes one home with their new Samsung TV.  Eventually, they will.

Dear Sony fan boy.

Are you speaking for video or stills?

Because it certainly isn't a "whole different league" we're talking about for video between the NX1 and A7R II. I should know, I have both!

The A7R II does the best quality 4K in Super 35mm crop mode.

The quality of the full frame 4K is worse than the NX1's 4K.

A6000 is a NX1 rival for video?

NOW we can talk different leagues!! Mushy 1080p vs crystal clear 4K. Aliasing and moire vs none. 60fps max vs 120fps 1080p. H.264 vs H.265. And does Sony have a 16-50mm F2.0-F2.8 OIS for it? Nope.

Then there's the body... NX1 is far higher build quality and has top panel LCD, more comfortable EVF and far more physical control.

You my friend are making deluded statements.

The NX1 is $1499 and it shoots better quality video than a $10,000 Canon C300.

By good lens you must mean the 16-50mm F2.0-F2.8

If you think a lens of that quality can be bundled with a camera like the NX1 for 500 dollars you are truly deluded.

The lens alone is $1000 of pure quality.

The NX1 is a 6.5K Super 35mm sensor doing oversampled 4K from that full 6.5K readout on a new copper process, cutting edge CMOS in it, cutting edge logic chips. The AF and many features are actually custom chips. NOT software run. The thing is expensive to make and packs more sophisticated tech into it than just about any other camera on the market. It is about 5 years in advance of Canon's highest end consumer DSLR for pure processing power alone.

Idiotic.

Not everyone in the market for a new camera is an Andrew Reid, most can probably be regarded as idiots.   I wallow in my ignorance and lower standards but at the end of the day, companies have to cater to people like me or else they have to shutter their stores.   $300 or bust.  Take it or leave it samsung. :)  

For a dying system and in a world where a feature movie can be created by an iphone(tangerine), this offer is more than fair..... to me, the unwashed masses. :)

A lot of people are overthinking this ;)  The latest statistics I've seen is that about 10 million high-end DSLR are sold every year.  The Magic Lantern site has about 46,000 registered users, many who have probably moved onto other things.  EOSHD may have about 26,000 users, but my sense is that only about 1,000, if that, engage in comments, so figure about 10,000 have any meaningful interest.  Even at 26K, you're talking 0.25% of the market.   Samsung probably sells more camera on its own website that it sells to EOSHD members through any channel.  I just went to their site and read I could order the NX1 with the high-end lens, but it was "backordered".  If they were going to discontinue the camera wouldn't now be a good time?  

Samsung has assets of half a trillion dollars.  It has revenues of almost $200 billion a year.  They don't care what independent filmmakers think.  They only care what products they can bundle with their TVs, tablets, laptops, smartphones, projectors, etc.  When 4K TVs take off you can bet the Samsung retail displays will be back and the cameras will sell to people who don't know, and never want to know, the difference between MFT, crop-sensor or full-frame, or any of that.  

Again, you have half a trillion dollars in assets, you're worried about one (cameras) of hundred of products you manufacture?   

As for them putting an EF mount, or anything to appeal to EOSHD users, again, WE ARE NOT THEIR MARKET!  I'm sure Samsung engineers are thrilled indie filmmakers like their cameras, but at top, they only care if someone takes one home with their new Samsung TV.  Eventually, they will.

absolutely. Heard a samsung rep in an interview say that the nx1 works natively with their 4k tv's. After seeing the sharpness and color of the camera I knew it was more so designed for their 4k tv's...the needs of the filmmaker were secondary but I am not complaining...if it's sharp enough for a huge 4k tv it will work for other applications especially when Canon 5D footage has made it to the big screen for years now from Red Wings to the Green Inferno

there are much worse cameras costing 1500+ $. Why shoukd the nx1 be so cheap?? I'd be happy if these rumors were not true just for ppl like you.

I see a lot of people on this forum that are either NX1 owners or potential NX1 owners. Honestly...we should just shoot with the damn thing,post our work to a new thread and shutup lol. I am about to do the pepsi challenge and tell people my NX1 footage is from an A7sii and watch the fan boys go "wow ! The sony color science is so beautiful !" Etc. etc.