jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

Mates, I have fallen in love...

OK, you've fallen in love and still "entertaining the idea of buying?" I don't think your GF/wife is going to like that kind of attitude...get it already!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just believe this site should stay non-bias. Samsung is a big company.  They can stand on their own. 

I don't think there is any true bias here...actually your constant antagonizing of the company seems pretty bias. Camera manufacturers from leica,nikon,sony etc get reviewed and further discussed on this forum. People use these forums to get insight they can't find elsewhere so I don't see the bias. If everyone unanimously flaming Samsung for possibly shutting down or releasing a "failed" camera is a sign of non bias to you then I don't know what to tell you. In fact the way people are polarized between like the nx1 & hating it as well as some dismissing and some agreeing with the speculation Samsung is shutting down their nx line is a clear sign of unbiased coverage :-)

I don't think there is any true bias here...actually your constant antagonizing of the company seems pretty bias. Camera manufacturers from leica,nikon,sony etc get reviewed and further discussed on this forum. People use these forums to get insight they can't find elsewhere so I don't see the bias. If everyone unanimously flaming Samsung for possibly shutting down or releasing a "failed" camera is a sign of non bias to you then I don't know what to tell you. In fact the way people are polarized between like the nx1 & hating it as well as some dismissing and some agreeing with the speculation Samsung is shutting down their nx line is a clear sign of unbiased coverage :-)

hang on there... when have I been antagonistic? Please do show the post. FYI, I quite like the NX1. But that said, I do believe it is a dead end as far as a system goes. 

Well without the NX1 the NX is definitely dead.

True. Regardless, they've scuttled the whole operation. I'm sure they want to clear their existing inventory as best they can this holiday season, so delaying an announcement is sensible on their part (lunacy of killing the NX system aside). Maybe they will license their tech.....

Otherwise I would open a store tomorrow. Collect cash and free inventory from all the companies and then have a killer 97% sale.

The reason you wont find Samsung in stores is because inventory cost money for the STORE, not Samsung. If a shop has Samsung sitting on the shelves it means they bought it from Samsung. But they dont. Because they cant sell it. And thats kinda counter productive for a retail business.

I agree with the comments that I do not expect Samsung is paying for inventory space. That strikes me as very unlikely. 

But what I reckon Samsung should do is do a long term loan out (12 months) of their flagship camera (NX1) and a low end camera (NX300/NX500) and a couple of lenses to all camera retail stores. And to the high volume stores (which have a track record of selling Samsung cameras) they could loan out the entire range of cameras (so in this case, this just means the NX30 as well) and a couple more lenses. 

That way stores wouldn't need to pay for it out of their own pocket. 

Yes, this would mean Samsung themselves would have to carry much more stock (but stored at the retail stores, not Samsung's warehouses). And this is a cost which has to be carried by them...  however this is what needs to be done if they're to catch up with Canon/Nikon, or even simply catch up with Panasonic/Sony/Olympus!!

Because it gets them critical display space in front of the public. Thus it is a marketing investment which will pay off in the long term.

If a store is an official distributor they will be supplied with a demo model by the manufacturer. They will also be supplied with various sorts of marketing materials and may even have displays built for them by the manufacturer. They don't need to buy it themselves, contrary to what Mathias thinks.

Obviously they need to buy the stock they sell, but their agreement will allow for returns and reimbursement as well if they can't sell the product. They won't make any money of course, but they won't lose money either.

Also, contrary to what Mathias thinks, for high end items a store might not have anything more than the minimum amount of stock needed to satisfy demand on hand at any one time. Take Canon's 7DII for example, where I live I estimate that there can't be more than about half a dozen stocked in stores in the entire province. The stores can always get more if they need, but they don't have a warehouse of them out back. Unless something is a brisk seller, there won't be a lot of stock on hand.

If there is no risk for then distributor then it is very unlikely that they are going to refuse to stock a product "because Mathias says no one will buy it". Mathias says that no one stocks the NX1 because it doesn't sell, but misses the point that if no one stocks it, it CANT sell. It has to be there to sell, and if it isn't there it can't sell.

For an official distributor the risks are relatively small. They don't have to sell hundreds of cameras, even being able to sell a few will be worth their while because the margins for such products are high. If no one is stocking the cameras it means that Samsung has not set up a distribution network, not that the stores don't want to stock it. But if Samsung does not take them on as part of their distribution network, the store sure as hell isn't going to order in a whole bunch because then they have to take on the risk, and few want to do that. And that applies to any high end camera, including Canons, Nikons and Sonys. Which is why you generally will not see those specific cameras in most outlets. You will only see the lower end stuff that sells more frequently to consumers. If the manufacturer wants those products to be distributed in [email protected] stores, they will have to reach an agreement with at least some of the stores in question. Otherwise it won't happen.

This is the problem with Samsung, they don't appear to be doing that at all in most of the world. It sounds like the only place they are doing it to some extent is Germany. They sure as hell are not doing it in Canada. At all.

If you don't market your product you can't sell them. And marketing is more than a fancy PR campaign. It includes setting up distribution as well. The PR campaign is the facade, but behind that you need the machinery to get your product to the customer as well. In Samsung's case it seems they figuratively have a big poster announcing their product, but behind that there is just an empty room. You can't do business like that.

Actually I see it not so much as a store space, distribution or marketing exposure problem.

The problem is Samsung seem to be experts at coming up with new technology, then forcing it into a customer solution nobody asked for.

Nobody cried out for curved TVs or curved OLED edges on their phones. Yet Samsung came up with the curved panels and had to somehow sell them.

On the NX1 nobody asked for H.265. The market wasn't ready for it. The software wasn't ready to handle it.

A lot of technology companies make this mistake.

They see the market from the window of the engineers office and think that what is advanced engineering will surely be good for the market.

They really do need better management. They need to start thinking about solving the problems of consumers in an innovative way THEN developing the technology necessary to do that, not the other way round.

Obviously they need to buy the stock they sell,

Exactly what I called you on. You said small specialized stores get paid by Samsung to have inventory which is total BS.

Either way, I don't care enough to debate the rest of your post. You only read selective parts of others posts anyway, so I will do the same to you.
Have a good one.

Exactly what I called you on. You said small specialized stores get paid by Samsung to have inventory which is total BS.

Either way, I don't care enough to debate the rest of your post. You only read selective parts of others posts anyway, so I will do the same to you.
Have a good one.

I agree with this, I don't think Samsung pay smaller stores to stock inventory.

Smaller stores will stock what sells.

And it would make zero sense for Samsung to pay them to stock something that wouldn't sell anyway. That's how you lose money twice.

I'm still on the fence with regards to my NX1 purchase. I really don't want to drop nearly a £1k more on the Sony A7 series for the same capabilities of the NX1 with the 2 s Lenses, my backup body is the GH4 which is great but I really want something which can cover the stills side, shoots 4k and is light enough to go on my beholder ds1. The rumours don't worry me too much but I really want to use these lenses on an updated body one day!

Well without the NX1 the NX is definitely dead.

Not if a MK-ii comes out in 2016 ;) just dreaming...

0-255 files of original firmware were clipped in Premiere. You can fix this in post by remapping to 16-235 in the Fast Color Corrector but now you can do this in-camera. Result is more highlight details and blacks that don't crush as much. Better dynamic range and smoother roll off.

The black gamma control really helps bring out the shadows as does gammaDR.

What do you exactly mean with these? I don't understand what changed with 1.4 in this respect. Thanks! 

Have a good one.

I never said they get paid to carry inventory, that is something you made up through selective reading of posts. I said that manufacturers pay to get their products promoted in store, through a variety of mechanisms. Such as supplying demos, providing marketing materials, buying prime display space, building displays, and accepting returns (thereby eliminating the risk for the vendor).

I never said they get paid to carry inventory, that is something you made up through selective reading of posts. I said that manufacturers pay to get their products promoted in store, through a variety of mechanisms. Such as supplying demos, providing marketing materials, buying prime display space, building displays, and accepting returns (thereby eliminating the risk for the vendor).

Will somone pleeeeeease start a new thread for those who want to argue about retail display policies? I really want to discuss how laundry detergent is stocked... :grin: