jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

WTF?!  Canon has been profitable forever.  Morningstar shows profitable years going back to 2005 and from what I remember they were profitable for years prior to that.  Sony has lost money six out of the last seven years.  And the recent ray of sunshine in its imaging department everyone is focused on isn't its full frame sensors it is the sensors it makes for cell phones!  Not sure what synergies one derives from tiny cell phone sensors that is going to dramatically change the cost structure of full frame sensors.  I mean the wafer yield problem is an issue for anyone making large sensors.  And if you come up with a cooling strategy for a full frame or APS-C 4k sensor what other applications does that apply to?  Cell phone 4k seems to be chugging along just fine even as people fry eggs on Sony cameras.  And Sony and Canon are about the same size.  Sometimes Canon is larger and sometimes Sony is larger.  And don't forget a chunk of Sony is movie studios that don't make any technology.

http://time.com/3892591/sony-turnaround/

What is with this camera fanboism?  They are just cameras.  No need to make stuff up people.

I have to imagine they lost money on the whole venture.  Frankly I would be surprised if in less than a year it was profitable.  Look at the Xbox 360.  It is ubiquitous here in the US and look how many YEARS that project took to turn a profit.  The people at Samsung are adults.  I'm sure they did not plan on necessarily being profitable in year one.  There is simply no way someone launches a whole new line of cameras and doesn't at least accept a few years of losses.  Maybe the losses were bigger than they expected or maybe everything is still on track and they are merely launching a new NX in January.

The mechanical aspects of cameras are mature technologies, and investment does not generate big advances. The future is in treating cameras like computers and the big gains are in silicon development.

Canon may be profitable, but it is largely due to volume, and that comes from trading off their brand image rather than what is actually in the cameras. They can afford to invest in tech development to some extent because of that, even though it is proportionally very expensive for them, but if volumes slip their ability to advance their tech will stall (I believe we are already seeing that).

Companies like Samsung and Sony on the other hand are developing silicon anyway for unrelated technologies, such as cell phones, computers, televisions, game stations etc etc. So their development costs in the areas where cameras see big improvements are largely leveraged by other industries. They will have to invest much less than Canonikon to get cutting edge tech as a result. Canon and Nikon on the other hand have no such advantage and they have to pay for all of that out of camera revenue, and it isn't  cheap.

That is why we see Canon and Nikon fall further and further behind the likes of Sony when it comes to sensors and processors. This process will continue. Given long enough eventually their businesses will be reduced to boutique enterprises catering off their brand but using hand me downs from the tech drivers, such as Sony and Samsung.

In the long run I think that Sony is going to win this battle, if they stick it out. They cannot lose because of the dynamics of the business.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Same reason. It cost money to maintain a presence in a store, even a speciality store. Display space doesn't come free you know, the manufacturer has to pay for it.

Not where I live. They dont have to pay a single dime. All they need to do is sell. Which they did not.

Yes right. You of course are completely familiar with distribution arrangements.

Lol. Are you for real?

You said that companies like Samsung pay to be displayed in small specialized camera stores. Since I know its complete BS I called you on it.

And instead of showing me proof or admiting that you rarely if ever read the posts you quote, thats your reply??

Ok. Tug. Enjoy your Sunday.

Otherwise I would open a store tomorrow. Collect cash and free inventory from all the companies and then have a killer 97% sale.

The reason you wont find Samsung in stores is because inventory cost money for the STORE, not Samsung. If a shop has Samsung sitting on the shelves it means they bought it from Samsung. But they dont. Because they cant sell it. And thats kinda counter productive for a retail business.

Got this response from an email I sent Samsung Customer Service in HK. According to them the NX1 is definitely been discontinued there will be no replacement. Obviously the English isn't great (probably better than mine though. lol) but the point comes across well enough.

Your question
Hello. 

I tried to buy a NX1 and the person in Telford Centre Samsung Shop, Hong Kong said that the camera was no longer in production and has been discontinued. 

Is the NX1 being replaced with a new camera? 

Thanks, 

Dean

Counselor answer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Please do not reply this email as this email was sent by system. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Dear Dean, 

Thank you for your email to Samsung Hong Kong dated 13 Nov 2015. 

With reference to your email, we see that you would like to buy NX1 but was told that it being discontinued. We apologize if our service and products did not meet your expectations, and appreciate you taking your time to share your concerns. 

According to our information, it is found that there is no any substitute model currently for NX1 camera. By the way, we strongly suggest you to look for it from other retailers, such as Wing Shing Photo. You can feel free to find the contact information from the following link. 

Wing Shing Photo: 
http://www.wingshingphoto.com/contact.php 

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies and we look forward to serve you. Should you require any further assistance, you are welcome to contact our customer service hotline at 3698 4698. 

Yours Sincerely 
Customer Service Department 
Samsung Electronics Hong Kong Co. Ltd. 

The word "currently" is vital in that sentence.

Nothing in that email suggests "there will be no replacement".

Think you're grasping at straws here.  Taken in its entirety, it seems pretty clear that Samsung is done with the NX series. They maybe back with something different (perhaps new mobile sensors) but NX line is finished.  

Hard to figure out here just what Samsung is thinking. I know the camera was hard to find in specialty stores in the states. I called many stores in the Las Vegas area and the reply was "we don't have the NX1". I did see it at NAB, but not where you would expect such as B&H or Adorama. Although, they carried them because I ended up buying mine from Adorama. The only NX1 I saw at NAB was at a very small foreign vender selling camera stabilizers. I also saw just one ad for the NX1 in Post magazine. To get noticed most companies run at least three ads in a row. Marketing 101 stuff.

So Samsung seems a bit divided. You could accuse them of being stupid given the recent news, but you don't engineer the brilliant NX1 by being stupid. However, the label seems to fit the marketing decisions made. My take is the camera just did not get enough and proper exposure. It takes time to develop market share. People by nature resist change until everyone and their taxi driver is taking about it. I hope Samsung will rethink their strategy because the NX1 is truly a great camera that nobody knows about.

For whatever reason(s) it seems that the NX cameras didn't sell. The members of this forum see the camera market in moving pictures, which is only a small percentage of what the camera market is.

As a relative newcomer, the NX1 seems to have pimarily resonated with video enthusiasts, and Samsungs firmware updates have seemed to cater to their video customers as well.

With their tech and production, Samsung could easily shift their NX line into a consumer/prosumer, cinema camera giant.

Or their tech is worth more to the company than their camera line. With Nikon using Sony sensors, maybe Canon wants an exclusivity deal for Samsung sensors?

Or maybe, they just decided to get out of the camera business all together, but I would assume a shift with their existing tech would be logical, why waste the millions in R&D they've already spent?

Whatever the reason(s) are, the NX1 and NX500 are amazing cameras, and like others have said, the tech will be future proof for the next couple of years, at least, so enjoy what you have and make some effin movies. 

Think you're grasping at straws here.  Taken in its entirety, it seems pretty clear that Samsung is done with the NX series. They maybe back with something different (perhaps new mobile sensors) but NX line is finished.  

Nothing to do with grasping at straws... They may well close down and I will not lose sleep.

But that email says nothing of the sort and Dean's interpretation was well off. No point adding fuel to the fire with misinformation.

For whatever reason(s) it seems that the NX cameras didn't sell. 

I got the NX500 with kit lens online, + 30mm lens,  with a little difficulty.  I believe that one of the main reasons the cameras have not sold so well was the strategic decision to go exclusively with hevc for both cameras.

People in this community can probably live with the extra work/steps, but hevc with the NX500 was a big mistake, h264 should have been used on the NX500.

The NX500 has no viewfinder, a large 4K crop, sure, but otherwise it is all in all a great camera, fab. picture and 4K in a lightweight and attractive body.  At the lower prices it's now going for its a bargain, if you can live with its limitations.  The screen alone has to be one of the very best out there.  Photo quality with the kit lens is superb!

Talk about echo chamber: I have a feeling NX1 is selling well -> Obviously it must mean NX1/NX500 aren't selling -> Clearly, Samsung isn't making money (I have zero stats, but who cares?) -> And somebody said Samsung is suspending sales in Europe/HK/Australia, so must be true -> Means of course they're shutting it down everywhere -> NX1 is therefore dead -> Samsung is done with cameras -> And all this happened because H.265, etc. (your favorite critique here). I guess idle speculation is like junk food, hard to stop indulging in.

If it is discontinued, I would not expect any more updates. If it is not discontinued, I still wouldn't expect any updates. That have upgraded this camera tremendously... What more do you want? When you bought the camera, you were happy with the specs for the price, any update is just gravy at that point. If they're staying in the camera business and they're releasing an NX2 or NX1 Mark II, then maybe you will get some more, but who knows. 

If it is discontinued, I would not expect any more updates. If it is not discontinued, I still wouldn't expect any updates. That have upgraded this camera tremendously... What more do you want? When you bought the camera, you were happy with the specs for the price, any update is just gravy at that point. If they're staying in the camera business and they're releasing an NX2 or NX1 Mark II, then maybe you will get some more, but who knows. 

One thing I can't stand, when I use digital Samsung lenses I have to manually select manual focus at every shot. Pretty annoying and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I don't see how reverting when you're dong recording to auto focus is considered a feature and not a bug since in photo mode it doesn't happen.

One thing I can't stand, when I use digital Samsung lenses I have to manually select manual focus at every shot. Pretty annoying and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I don't see how reverting when you're dong recording to auto focus is considered a feature and not a bug since in photo mode it doesn't happen.

On the tiny pancakes it's an issue as the lenses lack an AF/MF switch.

On the S lenses they have the switch so you can permanently keep them in MF mode in both stills live view and movie standby / recording. Problem solved.

Another trick is to let the focus take care of itself then in movie mode hit the AEL button providing AFL is assigned, that will lock focus during the shot. Update to V1.40 as not sure if this worked beforehand. You might also try masking off a pin to disable AF. I've not tried this, it might stop comms with the lens altogether.

But yeah for the pancakes the situation isn't ideal and should have been fixed.

Slap a Nikon on there instead.

Slap a Nikon on there instead.

Exactly. If you're using AF for video, you're probably doing projects that would be more suited to a "video" camera than a DSLR. 

I've done plenty of projects where I have a Nikon body on a crane, ceiling rig, or steadicam, and use a wired remote and a monitor to hit the initial focus point. But I don't rely on AF once I start rolling.