jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

No. The A7S-series is the best for lowlight perhaps. New A7-cameras feature in-body stabilization too, which is nice to have. Then there's S-Log and so on, sure...

But there's an inherent Sony look... the Sony colors. The display brightness issue. The overheating. The fact the screen is only tiltable. Record buttons. But mainly just the look I'd say.

The NX1 has a fantastic vibe about it. You don't need messing around with it that much to get it to your likings. It has a look that just seems right. As long as Canon keeps 4K restricted to bodies with a 'C' on it and Nikon lacks courage to go there... the NX1 has 4K and the look down.

No. The A7S-series is the best for lowlight perhaps. New A7-cameras feature in-body stabilization too, which is nice to have. Then there's S-Log and so on, sure...

But there's an inherent Sony look... the Sony colors. The display brightness issue. The overheating. The fact the screen is only tiltable. Record buttons. But mainly just the look I'd say.

The NX1 has a fantastic vibe about it. You don't need messing around with it that much to get it to your likings. It has a look that just seems right. As long as Canon keeps 4K restricted to bodies with a 'C' on it and Nikon lacks courage to go there... the NX1 has 4K and the look down.

I approve this message:-)

I think they're saying at that price point with those specs. The a7s ll is twice as much. 

Yeah.  It's for sale on B&H for under $1.2K.  That's pretty nice.  I'd happily buy that and use it for a year or two.  It's a lot of motion picture camera for not a lot of money.

I bought my EM5II for the same price and the IQ (compared to the NX1 files I've downloaded) isn't in the same league.  I bought the EM5II for run and gun hand-held corporate vid production though --and in that regard the EM5II has been killer.

Still, discontinued or not, NX1 really seems like one of the best low-budget solution for 4K s35.  A Lumix with a speedbooster is another option, of course.

Dang...I tell y'all what, modern gear and the specs you get with it is frickin' CHEAP!  To think of what I paid a few decades ago and what it couldn't do...

Everyone is clamouring for an official statement.... they already made one about two weeks ago!

Official statement from Samsung:

"Withdrawing from the camera business is not true and there is no official plan to stop production of cameras and lenses.  Samsung continuously analyzes the varying needs and requirements of consumers in each market and region very carefully.  However, we do not officially comment on rumors or speculation."

Yeah, but speculation is so much more fun. In any case this is all for you Europe folks, for us in the US we just watch the fun, and to quote the great Alfred E. Newman, "What me worry?" :)

The low light though...:heart_eyes:

That's an issue to some, but many of us can light our work - I've never had to shoot an outdoor-night action scene with 12k HMIs, but even when I first started low light wasn't that big an issue. It doesn't take much gear to shoot the average night scene. or light a set to F4 and 400iso. Maybe for documentary guys or people who shoot cityscapes/landscapes it's more of an issue? But for bread & butter corporate/commercial/music video, which DSLRs are great for, an "I own it" camera this capable (the camera you own vs. rent, that allows you to do some lower budget gigs and say "yes" to things just to fill a day in your schedule) is pretty amazing for $1100 (today's price anyway).

You're right, also it seems to me t has a lower native performance than my old Canon 550D which didn't look that dark at ISO1600. Does it really have a lower native sensitivity?

If this camera had a sensor with less MP it would have been a king even for low light...or close. But they went with the marketing trend so...

We need to stop using the word "dead".  In all my time in the camera game "dead" meant the system is getting killed.  It did not mean a camera is merely being replaced by an upgrade.  I think that is where a lot of the confusion came in.  The Canon 5D MK II has been discontinued and replaced by the Canon 5D MK III.  It is however not "dead".  New lenses and accessories are still being made for it.

Lowlight performance was the biggest disappointment for me with the NX1, and I really hated the focus by wire lenses. But the noise above 1600, ugh.

you ever try using neat video ? Get some fast lenses as well

Why are you all saying there's nothing better than the NX1 right now? Isn't the Sony A7S II the best for video right? At least on paper. 

just on paper. I owned the a7s and felt like it could've been a lot better but its still a great cam. I just hate hate hate these small rangefinder bodies. Even with a battery grip its ugly and unbalanced for handheld work which I primarily use. Nx1 aint touching it in low light but up to 1600 with an f1.2-1.8 lens its golden

We need to stop using the word "dead".  In all my time in the camera game "dead" meant the system is getting killed.  It did not mean a camera is merely being replaced by an upgrade.  I think that is where a lot of the confusion came in.  The Canon 5D MK II has been discontinued and replaced by the Canon 5D MK III.  It is however not "dead".  New lenses and accessories are still being made for it.

Who are you to say what words we can and can't use exactly?

you ever try using neat video ? Get some fast lenses as well

just on paper. I owned the a7s and felt like it could've been a lot better but its still a great cam. I just hate hate hate these small rangefinder bodies. Even with a battery grip its ugly and unbalanced for handheld work which I primarily use. Nx1 aint touching it in low light but up to 1600 with an f1.2-1.8 lens its golden

I have fast lenses, shooting at 1.2, 1.4 and such isn't always practical and you lose IQ.

Yeah.  It's for sale on B&H for under $1.2K.  That's pretty nice.  I'd happily buy that and use it for a year or two.  It's a lot of motion picture camera for not a lot of money.

I bought my EM5II for the same price and the IQ (compared to the NX1 files I've downloaded) isn't in the same league.  I bought the EM5II for run and gun hand-held corporate vid production though --and in that regard the EM5II has been killer.

Still, discontinued or not, NX1 really seems like one of the best low-budget solution for 4K s35.  A Lumix with a speedbooster is another option, of course.

Dang...I tell y'all what, modern gear and the specs you get with it is frickin' CHEAP!  To think of what I paid a few decades ago and what it couldn't do...

Yeah, it is pretty amazing what kids have access to now. I would wait until Black Friday to buy one, I have a feeling they are going to go closer to a grand. If you have the money, it doesn't make sense not to get one. Their pancake lenses are nice and cheap and vintage lenses softens the 4K nicely. 

I have fast lenses, shooting at 1.2, 1.4 and such isn't always practical and you lose IQ.

I understand. If it doesn't work for you fine...I've been shooting wide open with micro 4/3, super 35 and full frame sensors with good results. Great composition, post sharpening and sometimes stopping down from 1.2 to f1.8-2 works wonders but to each his own

Adorama has an even better deal.  Also $1.2K, but includes a free Audio-Technica microphone that sells for $200. http://www.adorama.com/ISGNX1AK.htmlhttp://www.adorama.com/ISGNX1AK.html.  Sell the mic on eBay and you have an NX1 for ~$1K.