jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just bought an NX1 a week ago. I have 30 days to return it for a full refund. 

Panasonic just came out with a vLog for their GH4, and I know there's a strong community behind that camera and support from the company. 

Question: should I return my NX1 and go for a camera that I know will continue to have improvements? I know the rumor mill is still debating that the NX1 may still continue, but let's say it doesn't...

If I knew that there would continue to be firmware improvements or hacks for the NX1 I would no question continue with it, but right now it just seems to be a dead end camera.

I just bought an NX1 a week ago. I have 30 days to return it for a full refund. 

Panasonic just came out with a vLog for their GH4, and I know there's a strong community behind that camera and support from the company. 

Question: should I return my NX1 and go for a camera that I know will continue to have improvements? I know the rumor mill is still debating that the NX1 may still continue, but let's say it doesn't...

If I knew that there would continue to be firmware improvements or hacks for the NX1 I would no question continue with it, but right now it just seems to be a dead end camera.

Look nobody else can make this decision for you, you're going to have to go on your gut instinct.

Do we know the GH4 will "continue to have improvements?" I don't think anything else is coming like V-LOG. The GH4 might soon be replaced by the GH5 and made obsolete. Doesn't mean it will suddenly stop shooting great footage for you though.

It's the same with the NX1. Even if it is a discontinued model, it shares the same fate with all cameras. They all die. A Nikon D800 from 2012 does not shoot improved video today compared to when it was released and it has been overtaken several times by newer models.

Same goes for Canon with the exception of Magic Lantern. Usually once a camera is released it has a few firmware updates and then, nothing.

The NX1 had a sequence of massive firmware updates, it is a really mature, stable, feature packed camera now.

For me if it is the last of it's kind then that makes it even more unique.

Yesterday when I heard the latest sources saying the NX1 was being discontinued, I went out and bought the 16-50 F2.0-F2.8

You may think I am mad, potentially "investing" in a "dead" system.

Personally (and others may differ and I am fine with that) it doesn't matter to me if it is dead or not. It is what it is.

I don't invest in cameras... that's a stupid idea. Investing for me is when you buy something that increases in value over time. Cameras don't do that.

I invest in an image... and the NX1 has a fucking great one.

A bold claim yes. Bet I don't get any credit at all when it turns out to be right.

This is a joke right? It doesn't seem like it so I'm asking. Because in reality you boldly claimed earlier in this same thread that Samsung 'isn't going anywhere'. Jacob Lewis started the thread. Daniel Oliver posted his correspondence from Samsung. Am I missing something? Yes, it must be British humor that's escaping me, sorry bout that.

This is a joke right? It doesn't seem like it so I'm asking. Because in reality you boldly claimed earlier in this same thread that Samsung 'isn't going anywhere'. Jacob Lewis started the thread. Daniel Oliver posted his correspondence from Samsung. Am I missing something? Yes, it must be British humor that's escaping me, sorry bout that.

1) I started the thread by asking if the rumors were true. 

2) Everyone started to speculate whether or not it could be true (including Andrew)

3) Daniel Oliver passed along his personal experience (several weeks after the thread began) which, when paired with new information and experience Andrew had gathered, pushed him over the edge to publish an official post / claim that Samsung is killing their camera department. 

4) EOSHD, as far as I know, is the only blog of its size making this "bold" claim publicly on its front page. 

Does that about sum it up?

Hmmm...... as I recall things have gone a bit differently

1) I started this thread with inside info from my secret source deep within samsung

2) people went crazy with wild speculation and talking about how pretty i am

3) i was challenged for the identity of my source

4) i revealed my source to be jasper the mastiff

5) i was ashamed and madness ensued 

Hmmm...... as I recall things have gone a bit differently

1) I started this thread with inside info from my secret source deep within samsung

2) people went crazy with wild speculation and talking about how pretty i am

3) i was challenged for the identity of my source

4) i revealed my source to be jasper the mastiff

5) i was ashamed and madness ensued 

You're funny.

But...

I think it all started when Andrew Reid put ZackGoodwin in a figure four leg lock over a Samsung 2/3 inch lens that Ed David thought was morally wrong to support.

While Ebrahim explained the technical nuances between the different algorithms of the figure four leg lock and the pile driver, I posted another bad Samsung NX500 video. 

And Tugela blamed Canon for the entire debacle. 

1) I started the thread by asking if the rumors were true. 

2) Everyone started to speculate whether or not it could be true (including Andrew)

3) Daniel Oliver passed along his personal experience (several weeks after the thread began) which, when paired with new information and experience Andrew had gathered, pushed him over the edge to publish an official post / claim that Samsung is killing their camera department. 

4) EOSHD, as far as I know, is the only blog of its size making this "bold" claim publicly on its front page. 

From this thread:

"First of all on the topic, I personally don't think Samsung are going anywhere. They have one of the biggest CMOS sensor facilities in the world for starters." Oct 23

"And I don't think they are going to stop after all that work on a market leading APS-C sensor. Can you imagine the boss of their CMOS factory after billions of dollars worth of investment accepting a complete shut down of the camera business? Nah. Not going to happen." Nov 4

"So what if a few stores are dropping Samsung and a few rumours are flying as a result that they are ending camera development? I don't believe it." Nov 7

"This is very unlikely and anyway even if they do, your camera doesn't stop shooting amazing 4K video does it?" Nov 10

"Well well well. Unbelievable. Samsung saying their own flagship is superseded by "much better and upgraded cameras", presumably full frame stuff like the Sony A7R II is a disastrous policy." Nov 11

"I certainly hope so and think they will bounce back but when combined with the rumours of them shifting staff internally out of the camera division into other parts of the company and then read this news from Oliver about the NX1, you have to wonder..." Nov 11

"PS I'll open a thread in January 2016 called "Apologies owed to Andrew" where the rude posters can say "sorry, turns out you were right"." Nov 11

"The rumours have been going on from various sources for over a month. Let's face it, they have turned out to be true. When multiple people all over the world including store managers and Samsung's own customer services team are saying THE SAME THING it doesn't take Einstein to work out what's happening does it..." Nov 11

"A bold claim yes. Bet I don't get any credit at all when it turns out to be right." Nov 12

From this thread:

"First of all on the topic, I personally don't think Samsung are going anywhere. They have one of the biggest CMOS sensor facilities in the world for starters." Oct 23

"And I don't think they are going to stop after all that work on a market leading APS-C sensor. Can you imagine the boss of their CMOS factory after billions of dollars worth of investment accepting a complete shut down of the camera business? Nah. Not going to happen." Nov 4

"So what if a few stores are dropping Samsung and a few rumours are flying as a result that they are ending camera development? I don't believe it." Nov 7

"This is very unlikely and anyway even if they do, your camera doesn't stop shooting amazing 4K video does it?" Nov 10

"Well well well. Unbelievable. Samsung saying their own flagship is superseded by "much better and upgraded cameras", presumably full frame stuff like the Sony A7R II is a disastrous policy." Nov 11

"I certainly hope so and think they will bounce back but when combined with the rumours of them shifting staff internally out of the camera division into other parts of the company and then read this news from Oliver about the NX1, you have to wonder..." Nov 11

"PS I'll open a thread in January 2016 called "Apologies owed to Andrew" where the rude posters can say "sorry, turns out you were right"." Nov 11

"The rumours have been going on from various sources for over a month. Let's face it, they have turned out to be true. When multiple people all over the world including store managers and Samsung's own customer services team are saying THE SAME THING it doesn't take Einstein to work out what's happening does it..." Nov 11

"A bold claim yes. Bet I don't get any credit at all when it turns out to be right." Nov 12

well damn...

You're funny.

But...

I think it all started when Andrew Reid put ZackGoodwin in a figure four leg lock over a Samsung 2/3 inch lens that Ed David thought was morally wrong to support.

While Ebrahim explained the technical nuances between the different algorithms of the figure four leg lock and the pile driver, I posted another bad Samsung NX500 video. 

Spot on!

You're funny.

But...

omg ?

You're funny.

But...

And Mattias danced with glee :)

You're right, I am wondering why owners aren't being more positive, they have easily the best image from a Super 35mm / APS-C camera for the price. The S lenses are the best for APS-C as well. 16-50mm... superb. You have to go up to the A7R II's Super 35mm mode at $3500 go one better than it... and even then, not by much and in some ways the NX1 is better. Especially ergonomically. Also, for how good the fine detail and Rec.709 profile colours are straight off the card.

For me, it being discontinued makes it even more special. Rarer, fewer people shooting with it, nice to have. What a gem.

Scarcity value people!!

Keep it for a few years and you will get your resale value back, as it will be so rare.

In 20 years it might even be like gold dust.

Some of the SNES games that had short production runs just before the system was discontinued go for over £1000 on eBay, people don't realise how the market treats rare consumer electronics. They are valued.

Agree. Bought myself an NX1 & 16-50S a couple of days back ... for the second time. Also bought one of those X3 ND filters that I'm looking forward to using on it. Looking for a used 50-150 second hand over here as well.

All this Samsung going out of business business seems to have enthused you with the NX1. Looking forward to seeing the 16-50 review. I really like this lens.

I'd really love to see hackers have at it with this camera. Looks like it has a lot of potential. Will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

Why on earth would a major company like Samsung respond to crazy, unsubstantiated rumors? That's basically what we have here: crazy, unsubstantiated rumors. Except with a lot of idle speculation everywhere to keep them alive. IMO, it only goes to show NX1's clout and success. BTW, are you referring to this official intro video on YouTube?

No it was the TV (or online) commercial.

Everyone is clamouring for an official statement.... they already made one about two weeks ago!

Official statement from Samsung:

"Withdrawing from the camera business is not true and there is no official plan to stop production of cameras and lenses.  Samsung continuously analyzes the varying needs and requirements of consumers in each market and region very carefully.  However, we do not officially comment on rumors or speculation."