jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

The NX1 is a very good 4K camera. It is stable, does not have black sun, it does not overheat, it snaps pics 15 fps for sports etc. I have migrated from Canon 5D mark III to the NX1 since summer, use it for sports photography and filming. It adapts almost any lens, Contax Zeiss, Canon FD, EF manual focus etc and I use Canon B4 broadcast lenses for Live streaming sports events. I am very happy with it:) Get one while you still can !!!

It's marvellous.

And they fixed so much in the firmware updates.

Camera doesn't lock up with an HDMI monitor now, if you select 1080p.

Don't forget it has an uncompressed 4K HDMI output too, which is not just Ultra HD but DCI academy 4096 x 2160! Even Sony doesn't have that and the 1D C's HDMI is capped at 1080!

Gamma DR brings the shadows up nicely, bit like Nikon flat profile on the D750. It's dead easy to grade.

People criticise the mount but hang on... it takes 10x more than Nikon's mount and that is far from dead! Jorgen with his CY Zeiss, C FD, EF, etc. seems happy!! And I with my Zeiss ZF Nikon mount 85mm F1.4 on it with a $30 adapter too.

I really think a lot of people are underrating it because they haven't tried it and just look at the badge. "Samsung" not "Canon".

It is cleaner in low light than the GH4. ISO 3200 is more usable. ISO 1600 is way less muddy than the GH4. ISO 800 has virtually no noise whatsoever, it looks almost identical to ISO 200 in the mids!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You can like posts by sending me a beer if you prefer?! :)

I love the 16-50mm F2.0-F2.8 as well...

The OIS is very stable. The AF is super fast in all but the dimmest light. You can lock onto a subject then switch AF to MF on the lens to keep it there during recording. Samsung never fixed the AEL/AFL thing sadly, but this lens gets round it.

Great for quick shot setup in fast moving real world situation. No more faffing with MF assist.

It does have peaking though.

The lens has a programmable function button it too... which I have assigned to ISO and white balance, brings up a special quick access menu separate to the one on the camera's Fn button.

And the lens is built like a tank but not massively heavy.

What other F2.0-F2.8 Super 35mm lenses on a 4K system can you think of for this price? There are none!

It's way nicer than a mushy Canon 17-55mm F2.8 EF-S on a C300 in plain old 1080.

The Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 is lovely but it lacks the 50mm long end, the OIS and the AF on the Samsung.

It's marvellous.

And they fixed so much in the firmware updates.

Camera doesn't lock up with an HDMI monitor now, if you select 1080p.

Don't forget it has an uncompressed 4K HDMI output too, which is not just Ultra HD but DCI academy 4096 x 2160! Even Sony doesn't have that and the 1D C's HDMI is capped at 1080!

Gamma DR brings the shadows up nicely, bit like Nikon flat profile on the D750. It's dead easy to grade.

People criticise the mount but hang on... it takes 10x more than Nikon's mount and that is far from dead! Jorgen with his CY Zeiss, C FD, EF, etc. seems happy!! And I with my Zeiss ZF Nikon mount 85mm F1.4 on it with a $30 adapter too.

I really think a lot of people are underrating it because they haven't tried it and just look at the badge. "Samsung" not "Canon".

It is cleaner in low light than the GH4. ISO 3200 is more usable. ISO 1600 is way less muddy than the GH4. ISO 800 has virtually no noise whatsoever, it looks almost identical to ISO 200 in the mids!

and dont forget Canon FD ! My L series lenses  are singing gospel with this thing ! Even with 28mp stills

Yeah Canon FD 50mm F1.2L is a thing of beauty.

Great to have manual aperture ring on the old Canons.

I like the 35mm F2.0 as well... the non radioactive version that is ;)

i have that as well...its sharper than even the L glass ! Im hunting for the 14mm f2.8 L then my life will be complete !

You can like posts by sending me a beer if you prefer?! :)

I love the 16-50mm F2.0-F2.8 as well...

The OIS is very stable. The AF is super fast in all but the dimmest light. You can lock onto a subject then switch AF to MF on the lens to keep it there during recording. Samsung never fixed the AEL/AFL thing sadly, but this lens gets round it.

Great for quick shot setup in fast moving real world situation. No more faffing with MF assist.

It does have peaking though.

The lens has a programmable function button it too... which I have assigned to ISO and white balance, brings up a special quick access menu separate to the one on the camera's Fn button.

What other F2.0-F2.8 Super 35mm lenses on a 4K system can you think of for this price? There are none!

It's way nicer than a mushy Canon 17-55mm F2.8 EF-S on a C300 in plain old 1080.

The Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 is lovely but it lacks the 50mm long end, the OIS and the AF on the Samsung.

It's about time you tried this lens out!

I find the AF in video mode superior to Canon's Dual Pixel. Mostly, in part, to its very responsive touch screen. You're not restricted to focusing on objects center-frame only. You can also adjust the speed of the video AF and have useable rack-focuses by using the touch screen. It's not perfect, but I find it to be more innovative than any other AF system for video out there. It's useable. That's my point.

And In a recent update, they also gave us the ability to change the speed of the focus ring while shooting MF. I've come around to fly-by-wire. At least Samsung's implementation of it. It doesn't beat the feel of cinema glass. But you have to hand it to Samsung for innovating in ways no other companies have yet. 

I haven't tried V1.4 yet, will give it a go http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3558764819/samsung-nx1-firmware-1-40-now-available

Adds a lot, 3rd time in a row.

Maybe camera companies only really push when they know their jobs are on the line!?

i really really really think you should do another review if you have the time. Maybe wait for the new Adobe update supposedly coming in the fall. This would generate a better impression of the quality of the camera since the update

I haven't tried V1.4 yet, will give it a go http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3558764819/samsung-nx1-firmware-1-40-now-available

Adds a lot, 3rd time in a row.

Maybe camera companies only really push when they know their jobs are on the line!?

Yeah, check out the quality on 1080p60 and 1080p120 stuff too.  It's quite an improvement on earlier firmware.

Example of 1080p60 / 1080p120 and Video AF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzochr2p7ww7dhd/391070213.mp4?dl=0 (we used AF excessively on riding shots, as we were hanging out of a van going 40mph and had the NX1 on a Ronin-M).  Footage is ungraded.

PS - Here's some 50-150 footage: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rytyrzju8ho9cdu/50 to 150.zip?dl=0 (footage is ungraded)

I suggest you have a look at this link: http://hexus.net/business/news/system-builders/75077-samsung-exit-european-pc-market-now/

Note some similarities?

I think Samsung reps use an email template and just swap the names of the products for certain types of queries. 

I questioned the "since there are many upgraded or better cameras". 

The he said this: 

"Let me rephrase what I've mentioned a while ago that we discontinued manufacturing nx1 since we already producing a much better or upgraded version, and it was developed by taking consideration some of the faults or issue from the nx1 model." 

So from this, he is saying the NX1 is in fact dead (discontinued) BUT the reason it is discontinued is because of a new NX1 camera that is being manufactured? 

My head is really starting to hurt now. 

Just checked the top 100 most popular cameras currently at B&H. Not the Nx1 nor the NX500 are in it.
Number one is a 1 year old camera and the 5dmiii is still in the top.
Even the NX30 and Lytro made top 100.

That was top Digital Cameras. If we look at mirrorless system cameras its in 51place.

Just to give you an idea of how small of a player Samsung is in this game.

I think Samsung reps use an email template and just swap the names of the products for certain types of queries. 

The he said this: 

"Let me rephrase what I've mentioned a while ago that we discontinued manufacturing nx1 since we already producing a much better or upgraded version, and it was developed by taking consideration some of the faults or issue from the nx1 model." 

So from this, he is saying the NX1 is in fact dead (discontinued) BUT the reason it is discontinued is because of a new NX1 camera that is being manufactured? 

Well that's a totally different story than before. So now there's a new NX1? Bizarre.

I wish Samsung would release an official press release.

The he said this: 

NX1s ?! NX2 ? Im gonna pass out lmao

The Canon 17-55mm 2.8 EF-S is a well rated lens and it sells for under $800.  None of the reviews I've read over the years call it "mushy".  You may have a bad copy.

The problem with Samsung is you either accept the kit lens or you have to pay $1,300.  It's strange to me that this blog no longer likes consumer choice.  Why should the consumer be forced to pay $1,300?  Why no $800 option?

Maybe start checking some facts instead of taking every word some rep - who's name and function is uknown - says for 'official Samsung statement'

This person is a Customer Service Representative and I have a name too. 

I think they are using a translator which is the reason for the odd grammar and strange logic.

I've written a reply with very direct questioning. After that, I'm calling it quits and moving on. 

Some others may want to try contacting Samsung to see if you get a similar response. Some people think I'm making it up and sending trolling messages. The internet eh?