jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

Also, someone posted something a couple pages back that I need to address: Samsung lenses are not overpriced. Like...at all. Most of them are in the $200-400 price range, and even cheaper on the used market. The only expensive ones are the 85mm f/1.4 and the two S zooms.

Unfortunately the really expensive 16-50mm f/2-2.8 S ED OIS would be the obvious choice for people wanting to make a lateral move over from Canon.  Unfortunately that lens is $1,300 vs less than $800 for the Canon.  The Canon is a constant 2.8 but it is a very good lens.  Spending $500 extra for a lens on a dead camera system="overpriced."

I don't have a problem with the Samsung lens but they should have come out with a $800 solid zoom like Canon.  Look at the excellent EF-S 10-18mm wide angle.  Only zoom Samsung makes in that neighborhood is hundreds of dollars more.  I'm not saying Samsung lenses aren't good or even perhaps higher quality.  But they don't give you affordable options in the basic meat and potato workhorse zoom lenses.  You either get slow lower quality consumer lenses or you pay $1,300.  There is a very obvious hole in their line up right where prosumers reside.

The headline on your article troubles me. Samsung didn't "announce" anything. This was a reply from someone (who?) in some (which?) department of Samsung. Now it is being shared as a matter of fact (mirrorless rumors, dpreview forums, etc.) that Samsung has officially announced this (which they haven't). Do you not feel you have responsibility, as a blog owner/operator, to check your facts and your sources before posting information? It reminds me of when FOX and CNN reported that the Boston marathon bomber had been caught and arrested when, in fact, that was not true.

Wow.  News stories move faster than facts on the interwebs.  Yeah the headline and the content don't match up.  Usually official announcements from multibillion dollar multinationals are at least checked for subject verb agreement.  We are really going to write Samsung off based on this cryptic message... with terrible grammar?

And let's examine that quote further...

In Europe, we will be discontinuing sales of NX1 cameras for now

So "In Europe" doesn't mean we are not ever going to sell another NX1 anywhere on the planet.  And "for now" doesn't mean they are never coming back to Europe.  That is just an odd sentence.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't know who Oliver Daniel talked to, but my Samsung Rep gave me the "we don't comment on rumors" response when I asked him about it today. 

So I think it's safe to say this is still a rumor and not an official announcement by Samsung. 

I've received a reply to my follow-up email. 

I'm not sure what to think as the logic of his response doesn't make any sense. Lots of errors.

"With regards to your concern, we discontinue producing NX1 cameras since there are several NX series cameras like NX3000 and NX500 that are improved and upgraded. The competition is also one of the factors why NX1 discontinued the productivity. You can discuss the compatibility of the lenses on our cameras to get more information and check the stock availability of the NX1 camera by sending an email at [email protected] or call our Sales advisors in SAMSHOP Monday - Saturday 9am-6pm 0330 726 7467."

Can anybody else make sense of this? Or has this Samsung person lost the plot? 

Strangely worded "official announcement." And who is the "Samsung Representative?" How do we know he's not some disgruntled employee on his way out just trying to cause a problem for an employer he hates? If he's an employee and likes his job, wouldn't letting that news slip before an official announcement be a quick way to lose your job?

Rumor.

Reorganizing a business isn't the same as shutting it down. 

I'm disappointed that Andrew jumped on this so quickly as though it's a fact. Your credibility with me just took a huge hit.

Just been into Media Markt in Berlin, biggest electronics retailer in Europe

The manager said Samsung contacted them this week saying they were pulling out of the camera market in its entirety.

He told me this as a customer who was just about to buy the 16-50mm F2 for 920 euros. Why would someone lie about that at the point of sale?

PS I'll open a thread in January 2016 called "Apologies owed to Andrew" where the rude posters can say "sorry, turns out you were right".

http://photorumors.com/2015/11/11/samsung-nx1-discontinued-in-europe-hong-kong-and-australia/

Oh look and their source is .... dadadadaa!: EOSHD

Aaand the source of EOSHD is ..... Member Oliver !!

I've just copied and pasted replies I've received from a member of staff of Samsung when questioning very low stock levels for NX cameras in Europe. I have written proof in email and a name. It's not my responsibility should this site and other sites wish to publish a news story on some correspondence I've received, nor is it my responsibility if a "representative" I've been passed to by Customer Support has made any inaccurate statements (unlikely). 

My honest opinion is the translation isn't perfect to English (hence the bad grammar), but the fundamental comments made are very likely to be true. The fact that Samsung Camera haven't updated their Youtube channel in 4 months, the Twitter is inactive, reports are everywhere and now people in retail are confirming it - it's definitely more likely that the NX system for the foreseeable future is over. 

I was very interested in picking up the NX1, and I may still do it if I can get a bargain. :)

Let's chill out everyone... It is true, nobody is trying to deceive.

I didn't jump immediately on the rumours bandwagon.

The rumours have been going on from various sources for over a month.

Let's face it, they have turned out to be true.

When multiple people all over the world including store managers and Samsung's own customer services team are saying THE SAME THING it doesn't take Einstein to work out what's happening does it...

I was very interested in picking up the NX1, and I may still do it if I can get a bargain. :)

Go for it. I am sure they will still honour the 1 year warranty anyway.

The NX1 has only been around a year and it was well ahead of its time.

If you get the 16-50mm F2.0-F2.8 OIS just look what the package does...

Superb 4K, crisper detail than the A7R II in 4K with smaller file sizes

Super 35mm sensor with 16-50mm F2.0-F2.8

The OIS is very good on that lens

The AF is very fast and superb for quickly establishing 4K shots of live subjects (if locked before recording by flicking the AF switch to MF)

Virtually zero noise at ISO 800, and usable 1600 / 3200

4K is oversampled from 6K sensor readout

Superb Rec.709 colour, as good as C300

Improved GammaDR profile brings up shadow detail nicely

Great handling, OLED screen and nice EVF

Small but rugged metal body

USB charging

Top panel LCD which lights up ORANGE baby!!

What cinema cameras are there like this? None

I still don't believe any of the rumors about the NX1 being dead.  Just weighing the facts, here is how I see it.  Samsung cameras had a very large presence at the at the last two big camera shows in the U.S. (Pix and PhotoPlus Expo), which were both within the last month!  At Pix they stole the show with their "Ditch the DSLR" promotion where they traded over 400 NX500s for DSLRs and at PhotoPlus they had one of the top 10 booths by size at the expo with branding and sponsorship of Samsung cameras all over the venue.  When asked about the rumors of Samsung dropping out of the camera business, the Samsung reps at the expo said they were not true and said to wait for good things to come at the big CES show in January.  On the other side of the coin we have (1) a few badly worded emails from "Samsung" customer service reps (Oliver's email chain which states they are retreating from the Eurpoean market only and an earlier one in Asia that seems like they were moving out of the point and shoot market); (2) lack of stock in Europe; (3) lack of activity on Samsung's NX web pages; and, most importantly, (4) no official response to these rumors from Samsung corporate.

I understand the "where there is smoke, there is fire" theories, but they don't match up with what we've seen in the U.S.. I think the NX1 is alive and well and positioning for a new push and marketing strategy.  Of course, I'll eat crow if an official announcement of the end comes out soon. :pensive:

Let's chill out everyone... It is true, nobody is trying to deceive.

I didn't jump immediately on the rumours bandwagon.

The rumours have been going on from various sources for over a month.

Let's face it, they have turned out to be true.

When multiple people all over the world including store managers and Samsung's own customer services team are saying THE SAME THING it doesn't take Einstein to work out what's happening does it...

Go for it. I am sure they will still honour the 1 year warranty anyway.

The NX1 has only been around a year and it was well ahead of its time.

If you get the 16-50mm F2.0-F2.8 OIS just look what the package does...

Superb 4K, crisper detail than the A7R II in 4K with smaller file sizes

Super 35mm sensor with 16-50mm F2.0-F2.8

The OIS is very good on that lens

The AF is very fast and superb for quickly establishing 4K shots of live subjects (if locked before recording by flicking the AF switch to MF)

Virtually zero noise at ISO 800, and usable 1600 / 3200

4K is oversampled from 6K sensor readout

Superb Rec.709 colour, as good as C300

Improved GammaDR profile brings up shadow detail nicely

Great handling, OLED screen and nice EVF

Small but rugged metal body

USB charging

Top panel LCD which lights up ORANGE baby!!

What cinema cameras are there like this? None

I'm keeping an eye on prices. 

Today I convinced a friend to buy the NX500 for his girlfriend as she wants a new "compact camera." £335 brand new with 16-50 kit lens. Ridiculous. 

The features are great on the NX1 - the video and stills functionality is brilliant. 

Selling on my RX10 II's. They are great but artistically not for me. 

Just been into Media Markt in Berlin, biggest electronics retailer in Europe

The manager said Samsung contacted them this week saying they were pulling out of the camera market in its entirety.

He told me this as a customer who was just about to buy the 16-50mm F2 for 920 euros. Why would someone lie about that at the point of sale?

PS I'll open a thread in January 2016 called "Apologies owed to Andrew" where the rude posters can say "sorry, turns out you were right".

http://photorumors.com/2015/11/11/samsung-nx1-discontinued-in-europe-hong-kong-and-australia/

So did you end up buying that lens?

The 50-150 f/2.8 is a superb lens as well.  Such a shame if this all pans out to be true. 

To the NX1 people... if it didn't have 4K and the 1080p was kinda crap, would you still have bought it?

Because... they want to mass market this, but does the mass market want amazing video? I think not. I think most are just looking for a great stills system. And for that, it's a very expensive system. I'd be looking at spending 2299 EUR on a NX1 with the 16-50mm S ED kitlens by the looks of Geizhals. Now. For that kind of money I can have the Nikon D750 with 24-120mm 4.0G ED kitlens which is a much more viable system. Takes great video too btw, albeit not sporting 4K or some nice mirrorless features.

What I'm getting at... the few people getting this specifically for video is just a too small of an audience for Samsung. So, really, I'm getting that they would step out or atleast take a step back and reconsider the options here. It's a pity for those who love where they were taking this, especially what video concerned, but as already has been said before: it's not like you're losing the capability to stop using the NX1 you love so much.

Also, I don't think you should disregard the rumors just because of events or sponsorships. A decision to cut something might be a deadline kind of thing and maybe they just didn't manage to flip things around in time. That means they were prepared for things to possibly go south, but proceeded to continue trying to still get it together. Kind of like that movie: 172 hours. He knew he was stuck and had to make a harsh decision to let a part of himself go in order to stay alive. And he made that cut.

I still don't believe any of the rumors about the NX1 being dead.

That's OK. I didn't at first either.

Just weighing the facts, here is how I see it.  Samsung cameras had a very large presence at the at the last two big camera shows in the U.S. (Pix and PhotoPlus Expo), which were both within the last month!

But probably organised and planned at least 6 months ago, before any decision was made... and contractually obliged to go ahead. Not to mention the show slots were probably already paid for.

At Pix they stole the show with their "Ditch the DSLR" promotion where they traded over 400 NX500s for DSLRs

Dumping of stock that wasn't selling.

and at PhotoPlus they had one of the top 10 booths by size at the expo with branding and sponsorship of Samsung cameras all over the venue.  When asked about the rumors of Samsung dropping out of the camera business, the Samsung reps at the expo said they were not true and said to wait for good things to come at the big CES show in January.

There are two kinds of reps at shows

Those product managers and marketing people who work internally at the company (Samsung)

Those PR people who work for a PR agency hired by the company (Samsung)

The PR people at the agency would either A - not know or B - not want to upset Samsung for fear of losing further work, it is their job to only say nice things.

On the other side of the coin we have (1) a few badly worded emails from "Samsung" customer service reps (Oliver's email chain which states they are retreating from the Eurpoean market only and an earlier one in Asia that seems like they were moving out of the point and shoot market); (2) lack of stock in Europe; (3) lack of activity on Samsung's NX web pages; and, most importantly, (4) no official response to these rumors from Samsung corporate.

It's a bit more than that.

I understand the "where there is smoke, there is fire" theories, but they don't match up with what we've seen in the U.S.. I think the NX1 is alive and well and positioning for a new push and marketing strategy.  Of course, I'll eat crow if an official announcement of the end comes out soon. :pensive:

And it could be that they are just pulling out of retail. To a shop owner retail is "the market." Did any of you ever play telephone/Chinese whispers when you were a kid? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers

It could be that Samsung is getting out of the camera business, it could be that they are getting out in some markets, it could be that they are re-organizing. It's not prudent to make final conclusions based on second and third-hand and information. (see double hearsay: Hearsay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

So did you end up buying that lens?

The 50-150 f/2.8 is a superb lens as well.  Such a shame if this all pans out to be true. 

It would be a shame, the NX1 is one of the most interesting releases in the past year. 

I'm even being directly trolled because of this news, kinda funny really! Sorry for finding info on the NX1!

Also, I don't think you should disregard the rumors just because of events or sponsorships. A decision to cut something might be a deadline kind of thing and maybe they just didn't manage to flip things around in time. That means they were prepared for things to possibly go south, but proceeded to continue trying to still get it together. Kind of like that movie: 172 hours. He knew he was stuck and had to make a harsh decision to let a part of himself go in order to stay alive. And he made that cut.

Yep... the same principle applies to video production. 

Band approaches you to produce video to be released in 6 months. Band signs video agreement contract. Video is produced, shot, and edited. Band emails to say they have split up. Bands pays for video as they are contracted to do so. Band release video anyway to see what happens, if anything. Band remain split up and get on with their lives. 

I've received a reply to my follow-up email. 

I'm not sure what to think as the logic of his response doesn't make any sense. Lots of errors.

"With regards to your concern, we discontinue producing NX1 cameras since there are several NX series cameras like NX3000 and NX500 that are improved and upgraded. The competition is also one of the factors why NX1 discontinued the productivity. You can discuss the compatibility of the lenses on our cameras to get more information and check the stock availability of the NX1 camera by sending an email at [email protected] or call our Sales advisors in SAMSHOP Monday - Saturday 9am-6pm 0330 726 7467."

Can anybody else make sense of this? Or has this Samsung person lost the plot? 

Haha. I think we're getting worked-up by an email from a "rep" who doesn't know what he's talking about. It sounds like he's saying the NX1 has been discontinued / replaced by the NX3000 and NX500.

Which goes back to an earlier thread where I discussed how incompetent the Samsung Customer support staff can be: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/17212-nx1-wins-at-the-dpreview-awards-2015/?do=findComment&comment=117171

This guy sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about. Until we hear an official announcement from Samsung, this is all speculation. And I don't think this guy qualifies as an official spokesperson for Samsung. 

The NX1 is a very good 4K camera. It is stable, does not have black sun, it does not overheat, it snaps pics 15 fps for sports etc. I have migrated from Canon 5D mark III to the NX1 since summer, use it for sports photography and filming. It adapts almost any lens, Contax Zeiss, Canon FD, EF manual focus etc and I use Canon B4 broadcast lenses for Live streaming sports events. I am very happy with it:) Get one while you still can !!!

Go home or go BIG.. The Samsung mount is a dead end.  From what I understand, it's not full frame.  Perhaps, Samsung is just ditching the NX1 because of the mounting issue and starting from scratch.  It's either that, or Samsung is really leaving the imaging space.  After all, full frame is where all the $$ is being made right now.  Smaller sensors, not really.  Either Samsung is leaving the field or they are going to do something that is going to blow our minds.

Samsung won accolades for the NX1 from multiple online magazines.  Some of these rags even put the NX1 as one of the "years best".  Samsung has also gotten more traction this year with photographers than in the previous years.  It's hard to believe Samsung is really leaving.  However, if you really think about it, the Samsung mount is a dead end.  The NX1 will never be a market leader.  Perhaps Samsung wants to start over, "NOT follow", but lead.  Perhaps they are going to create something new.  Something like an 8k, medium format camera with a universal mount that can be adapted for full frame canon or Nikon lenses with fast auto focus and the ability to see in low light or no light :-)  That would definitely be market leading... just like how they created "phablet", 12 inch tablets, high-rez curved tv... and many other innovative products.

However, occam's razor.... I think they are exiting the camera biz....  Too many assumptions for them to continue even though they have the skillz and the expertise :-(

This is grim news but to be optimistic, I am keeping my NX1. If they are scrapping the NX system hopefully it's for something better. The NX1 reminded me of when Panasonic added a ton of features to the GH2-GH3 and became a competitor. My gut is that they are coming out with full frame units because you know a lot of people assume if it aint full frame it's trash lol. In all seriousness the h.265 is the achiles heel. There's ways around the "too sharp" image people seem to hate and ways to get smoother roll off to highlights without touching the contrast settings (I am working on an article/video about workarounds for these issues). 

Like i've been saying when adobe releases native support for h.265 there is going to be a rush for it. We are not seeing the full quality of The cam due to transcoding ! I am convinced !  Either way if prices do plummet the NX1 could gain a cult following due to filmmakers or even still shooters getting a great camera for cheap....then demand will shootup since it's now antiquated. May be able to pick up NX lenses for dirt cheap ! Bad for samsung great for us I gues