jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

My Canon FD collection has gone up in price in the past two years. By more than double. So I'm not sure where he's coming from there. 

Maybe it was practical to use cameras until they fell apart in the past, but with cameras being replaced by new models so often and the used market being as robust as it is, there's very little reason not to sell cameras you don't intend to use. Potential resale value isn't the main reason I buy a camera, but when it makes my ownership of a dope-ass camera into (essentially) a $50 three-year loan, it's definitely a consideration.

Food for thought: http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/11/04/staying-on-the-bleeding-edge-an-economic-strategy/

There is a store near where I live that sells used equipment. FD mount lenses they sell are priced at between $30-$130, and that is what they sell them at. Probably they pay half that when buying them. So if you consider that to be an "investment", more power to you. If you look at the old Nikon, Minolta and Pentax mount manual lenses it isn't much different.

More recent lenses sell at roughly around 50-67% of the original price. Again, they probably pay you half that to buy it off you. In other words most of your "investment" disappears the moment you walk out the store with your shiny brand new product.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

In what way, please elaborate?

Also do you have a link backing what you said about Samsung dropping the P&S but not the NX line?

Precision as in precise. Focus by wire allows you to make much finer adjustments than mechanical rings are capable of because the throw is a function of speed rather than distance. The manual focusing on my old Canon EF lenses have a throw of about 90-150 degrees, depending on the lens. On my S lenses it can be as much as two turns, depending on the focal length being used. Precision is a function of the throw angle, and if you don't have much throw angle to work with, getting critical focus is more difficult. Sure, you can get it in a rough zone quickly, but getting it exactly where you want it - not so easy (and with a DSLR, virtually impossible).

My comments about Samsung's future are my assessment of what is happening based on Samsung's statements, what they have reportedly told users at tradeshows and retail outlets, and what is going on more generally in the retail world. Since all of the claims that Samsung are shutting down are based on total rumors as well, I don't see why their assessment carries any more weight than mine.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/09/23/rumor-busted-samsung-is-not-exiting-the-camera-business-at-least-not-the-on

You can dig around on the DPReview forums for what people who has spoken to Samsung reps about all of this have to say. There are tons of posts there, so I'm not going to do it for you. IIRC there are at least two separate people there who claim to have spoken to Samsung reps and the gist of the response is that we need to wait until CES/Photokina.

There is a store near where I live that sells used equipment. FD mount lenses they sell are priced at between $30-$130, and that is what they sell them at. Probably they pay half that when buying them. So if you consider that to be an "investment", more power to you. If you look at the old Nikon, Minolta and Pentax mount manual lenses it isn't much different.

More recent lenses sell at roughly around 50-67% of the original price. Again, they probably pay you half that to buy it off you. In other words most of your "investment" disappears the moment you walk out the store with your shiny brand new product.

whatever dude lol you aint gotta lie to make a point. Give me the name and number to this store so I can buy out their Canon FD lens collection and sell it on ebay for $300-$2000

1. Most of us aren't buying and selling our lenses through local stores for that very reason. Not relevant to informed users who are selling through forums, Craigslist, and local sales.

2. Yeah, except no one's buying FD lenses new. We're buying used and selling used. And since supply is constant and demand is only rising, used prices are actually going up. This isn't a theory. This is easily observable fact. 

3. When it comes to new lenses, we're also buying used and selling used. So even if the used price of the lens depreciates $50 over the course of 2-4 years of use, that's a lot of value you're getting from essentially just paying for depreciation. 

In what way, please elaborate?

Also do you have a link backing what you said about Samsung dropping the P&S but not the NX line?

I read something about this a while back when people complained that every mirrorless lens was focus by wire. My understanding is that focus by wire lenses are better suited to contrast-detect AF systems because they're able to move back and forth in smaller increments, more quickly, with less backlash.

At a major french shop (fnac) they re having a sales on all their nx lenses  : 45mm for 149€... They have also the 20mm for 200€ the 16mm and the zoom 50-200mm (250€ i think). 

Well, I now have the answer by Samsung themselves with the rumours of the NX1. 

I wrote to them with this: 

"Hello,

Customer service asked me to contact you regarding the availability and future of the Samsung NX1.

I'm interested in the Samsung NX1 camera, however there are reports that the camera division at Samsung is shutting down leaving the NX series obsolete.

I've noticed that stock for the NX1 is very low/out of stock all over Europe and that Samsung haven't done anything to market the camera in the last 4 months.

I'm wondering if you know anything about it?

I don't want to invest money into a potentially "dead" system.

Thank you for your help, I look forward to your reply."

The response I received was this: 

"We quickly adapt to market needs and demands. In Europe, we will be discontinuing sales of NX1 cameras  for now since there is already much better and upgraded cameras. This is specific to the region – and is not necessarily reflective of conditions in other markets. We will continue to thoroughly evaluate market conditions and will make further adjustments to maintain our competitiveness in emerging Camera categories." 

My analysis... NX1 sales have taken a hit due to new camera releases by other brands. The NX1 is discontinued but it seems likely they will return with an NX2 which offers innovation above and beyond competitive cameras (until the next 500 Sony cameras released in the next 6 months). 

Some retailers have responded that they have confirmed they can still order stock of the camera and it's been quite popular. 

I will ask this representative about the lenses and future systems, although I'm sure he will be tight lipped and extremely vague. 

Well, I now have the answer by Samsung themselves with the rumours of the NX1. 

I wrote to them with this: 

"Hello,

Customer service asked me to contact you regarding the availability and future of the Samsung NX1.

I'm interested in the Samsung NX1 camera, however there are reports that the camera division at Samsung is shutting down leaving the NX series obsolete.

I've noticed that stock for the NX1 is very low/out of stock all over Europe and that Samsung haven't done anything to market the camera in the last 4 months.

I'm wondering if you know anything about it?

I don't want to invest money into a potentially "dead" system.

Thank you for your help, I look forward to your reply."

The response I received was this: 

"We quickly adapt to market needs and demands. In Europe, we will be discontinuing sales of NX1 cameras  for now since there is already much better and upgraded cameras. This is specific to the region – and is not necessarily reflective of conditions in other markets. We will continue to thoroughly evaluate market conditions and will make further adjustments to maintain our competitiveness in emerging Camera categories." 

My analysis... NX1 sales have taken a hit due to new camera releases by other brands. The NX1 is discontinued but it seems likely they will return with an NX2 which offers innovation above and beyond competitive cameras (until the next 500 Sony cameras released in the next 6 months). 

Some retailers have responded that they have confirmed they can still order stock of the camera and it's been quite popular. 

I will ask this representative about the lenses and future systems, although I'm sure he will be tight lipped and extremely vague. 

And with this news the nx system is done.  Prepare for the dumping to begin in Europe, and US sales to tank. They clearly intend to compete in only emerging Camera categories and plainly state that the competition has superior products in the existing categories. As such, they will withdraw their efforts to avoid the competition.

This is also proof that when the initial rumors started to circulate Samsung lied by saying everything was fine. 

I move for a vote of no confidence.

And its just wrong. There is no better deal in the price range of the nx1. Come on irs better than the gh4 and I dont hear panasonic complaining that there are better cameras out there. Its a marketing and communication failure - the product is fantastic.

Well well well.

Unbelievable.

Samsung saying their own flagship is superseded by "much better and upgraded cameras", presumably full frame stuff like the Sony A7R II is a disastrous policy.

Thanks for the news Oliver.

I hope they will be back with a kick ass 4K full frame camera. How can they have sensor tech this good and not make use of it?

I certainly hope so and think they will bounce back but when combined with the rumours of them shifting staff internally out of the camera division into other parts of the company and then read this news from Oliver about the NX1, you have to wonder...

Is this the end of Samsung cameras?

PS I find it interesting that it's a regional announcement. Europe traditionally strong market for mirrorless. I wonder if in Asia and America they still have a lot of stock sitting on shelves to shift before they announce they've killed it there too!?

Samsung is too big to shutdown the camera division especially at the moment they're developing cutting-edge imaging sensors, the first industry-acclaimed product (nx1) and their continuation of working on consumer feedback and firmware development. I don't believe for a second the company will suddenly ''shut off' the camera manufacturing, laying off everyone working on them, abandoning all their endless camera models and their users and just suddenly shut out all their lens design/manufacturing holds and their customers. Not gonna happen and it's not a rumor I'd look at unless Samsung publicly announces such actions.

Didn't believe it much until I saw my close-by store getting rid of all the NX lenses. Just bought a 45mm for 250€ two weeks ago. Now everything's on sales from 150-200€ for all 16,20,45 prime lenses... 

for now since there is already much better and upgraded cameras.

There is no way this comment would be an officially sanctioned comment by a company like Samsung. Not a chance.

I have no doubt that they are finishing, but I find it hard to believe Samsung would officially say something like this ... unless there about to buyout Sony. LOL

If they are comparing their 1500€ camera, vs the less detailed and less capable (videowise) 2500€ a7rII then they are dead wrong.

Anyway, this changes nothing, Ill probably end up selling my 30mm though, bought it for 150€, will try and sell it for 150€, get my money back. But im keeping my prescious NX1, no other camera comes close to it, videowise.

Well well well.

Unbelievable.

Samsung saying their own flagship is superseded by "much better and upgraded cameras", presumably full frame stuff like the Sony A7R II is a disastrous policy.

Thanks for the news Oliver.

I hope they will be back with a kick ass 4K full frame camera. How can they have sensor tech this good and not make use of it?

The headline on your article troubles me. Samsung didn't "announce" anything. This was a reply from someone (who?) in some (which?) department of Samsung. Now it is being shared as a matter of fact (mirrorless rumors, dpreview forums, etc.) that Samsung has officially announced this (which they haven't). Do you not feel you have responsibility, as a blog owner/operator, to check your facts and your sources before posting information? It reminds me of when FOX and CNN reported that the Boston marathon bomber had been caught and arrested when, in fact, that was not true.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

for now since there is already much better and upgraded cameras.

No way Samsung says that. 

There are people (Vitaly) talking with some dealers and they are confirming that Samsung is pulling away.

These rumours are already floating around for some time, and it is about time for Samsung release and official statement confirming and denying it.

(but they could stay quiet until the inventories are somewhat cleared)

If true, is a very sad decision. NX1 and NX500 are great cameras. 

I don't know who Oliver Daniel talked to, but my Samsung Rep gave me the "we don't comment on rumors" response when I asked him about it today. 

So I think it's safe to say this is still a rumor and not an official announcement by Samsung. 

No way Samsung says that. 

My business is looking for a low cost option for multi-cam 4k video with 120fps slow motion, and the NX1 is an option. So I've contacted retailers and Samsung to see if there's any smoke with the rumours.

A representative at Samsung responded with this to my email inbox. I agree some of the language seems a little weird, so I've asked again for him to clarify what exactly he means - and whether NX lenses will be compatible with future products. No reply yet. 

Retailers such as Wex in the UK responded by saying the cameras are still being manufactured, however stock is very low.