jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

this Samsung rumor gets more and more depressing by the minute. They'll retweet something I posted praising the NX1 but the minute I ask if the discontinuation rumors are true they go quiet. The only people close to having the facts are the retailers. It's still a good camera but like I've said numerous times, what worries me is the resale value. Looks like if I keep this camera it's totally going to be my workhorse cuz selling it in the future may be out the question. It wont hold value like a 5d

I have never sold any camera that I have owned, so "resale value" does not even register on my concerns. I have a box full of old cameras and lenses, there is little point in trying to sell them since they are all worth so little that it isn't worth my time and effort to do that.

My primary concern is that I have equipment that can do what I want it to do, and currently with the NX1 setup I have right now, that requirement is largely satisfied. One thing I would like though is a zoom with a longer telephoto range. Something like Canon's 100-400 F4. If Samsung made an S lens analog of that I would snap one up immediately.

I always find it baffling when people consider "resale value" as a primary consideration, or when they start tossing out terms like "investment". When did "capable of doing the job" cease to be the criteria for buying new stuff?

Its not just a matter of "if it does the job" it s also a matter of not having new lenses anymore (NX at least). And with sony putting out a new camera every 6 months... :/ 

Once you have the lenses you need it doesn't matter how many "new" lenses a manufacturer puts out. Canon have tons of lenses, but really you only need 3 or 4. The rest are just fluff.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I always find it baffling when people consider "resale value" as a primary consideration, or when they start tossing out terms like "investment". When did "capable of doing the job" cease to be the criteria for buying new stuff?

Cameras aren't an investment, but the problem is some of the issues that are dealbreakers get addressed in newer models instead of fixing the problem in the current model. This creates a constant gear churn when newer models are introduced. The dealbreaker for me with the NX1 (FW 1.3 was my last before selling) was the lack of back button AF - I shoot stills at a number of events and having the focus and shutter separate is something I've been doing for years and something virtually every other DSLR/Mirrorless camera is capable of doing. I just couldn't justify two different and expensive lens lineups and outside of the two S zooms, Samsung's lineup sucks - odd FL's and not very MF friendly. Samsung's lethargic pace with its lenses hasn't done it any favors either as the competition through all sensor sizes have released new lenses. But that's beside the point, in the end it just didn't work for me and it didn't look like Samsung was going to do anything about it. 

I have never sold any camera that I have owned, so "resale value" does not even register on my concerns. I have a box full of old cameras and lenses, there is little point in trying to sell them since they are all worth so little that it isn't worth my time and effort to do that.

My primary concern is that I have equipment that can do what I want it to do, and currently with the NX1 setup I have right now, that requirement is largely satisfied. One thing I would like though is a zoom with a longer telephoto range. Something like Canon's 100-400 F4. If Samsung made an S lens analog of that I would snap one up immediately.

Once you have the lenses you need it doesn't matter how many "new" lenses a manufacturer puts out. Canon have tons of lenses, but really you only need 3 or 4. The rest are just fluff.

different strokes for different folks. No need to be condescending. For one I am in the military so unfortunately we don't have enough space on the ship to stockpile a load of cameras. Plus im really not a hoarder, if I don't use something it makes no sense keeping it, so I like many see resale value as a logical factor in our $1000+ investment :-)

Cameras aren't an investment, but the problem is some of the issues that are dealbreakers get addressed in newer models instead of fixing the problem in the current model. This creates a constant gear churn when newer models are introduced. The dealbreaker for me with the NX1 (FW 1.3 was my last before selling) was the lack of back button AF - I shoot stills at a number of events and having the focus and shutter separate is something I've been doing for years and something virtually every other DSLR/Mirrorless camera is capable of doing. I just couldn't justify two different and expensive lens lineups and outside of the two S zooms, Samsung's lineup sucks - odd FL's and not very MF friendly. Samsung's lethargic pace with its lenses hasn't done it any favors either as the competition through all sensor sizes have released new lenses. But that's beside the point, in the end it just didn't work for me and it didn't look like Samsung was going to do anything about it. 

The NX1 does have a backbutton AF. In fact it has two customizable buttons outside of the shutter that can be used for a variety of related purposes.

What you really mean is that the specific functionality doesn't copy Canon. That is not a problem for me, since those buttons can be set up to do what I need.

I don't agree that the lenses are not MF friendly. They are vastly better than DSLR systems in that respect. When I used to use Canons (which I had prior to the NX1), manual focus was considerably more difficult and time consuming. For fine tuning critical focus a focus by wire system has a big advantage over dumb mechanical systems. Not to mention the revolutionary improvement things like DMF presents.

I really like the iFn button as well, that makes adjustments on the fly a breeze.

The two S lenses and the macro lens satisfy about 90% of my needs. The remaining 10% would be satisfied with something like Canon's 100-400mm F4. I agree that space is a hole in their lineup, but outside of that most realistic needs are satisfied. Making 101 different subtle flavours of lenses does not make a better line up. It is not a numbers game.

cameras aren't an investment ? Some of us make money off of our cameras. By definition an investment is : "the action or process of investing money for profit or material result."

So I dont know if you do video by trade or as a hobby but for the lot of us that aim to turn a profit...yeah this is an investment.

cameras aren't an investment ? Some of us make money off of our cameras. By definition an investment is : "the action or process of investing money for profit or material result."

So I dont know if you do video by trade or as a hobby but for the lot of us that aim to turn a profit...yeah this is an investment.

I make money from my cameras as well. I was only looking at it from a finance standpoint, stocks are an investment, cameras are not, I should have clarified. But yes your definition fits as well. 

The NX1 does have a backbutton AF. In fact it has two customizable buttons outside of the shutter that can be used for a variety of related purposes.

What you really mean is that the specific functionality doesn't copy Canon. That is not a problem for me, since those buttons can be set up to do what I need.

I don't agree that the lenses are not MF friendly. They are vastly better than DSLR systems in that respect. When I used to use Canons (which I had prior to the NX1), manual focus was considerably more difficult and time consuming. For fine tuning critical focus a focus by wire system has a big advantage over dumb mechanical systems. Not to mention the revolutionary improvement things like DMF presents.

I really like the iFn button as well, that makes adjustments on the fly a breeze.

The two S lenses and the macro lens satisfy about 90% of my needs. The remaining 10% would be satisfied with something like Canon's 100-400mm F4. I agree that space is a hole in their lineup, but outside of that most realistic needs are satisfied. Making 101 different subtle flavours of lenses does not make a better line up. It is not a numbers game.

I don't agree with anything you're saying, which ultimately is why I sold the camera. FW 1.3 couldn't do proper BB AF, the way its been done on many other cameras for years. For me, fly by wire makes it tougher to fine tune focus since its inconsistent and when you shut off the camera (something I do frequently to preserve batteries since mirrorless cameras really chew through them) many lenses reset. I can leave my A7rII/Canon 16-35 on my tripod and focus will be at the same spot when I turn the camera back on. The two S zooms are nice, the rest of the zooms are incredibly mediocre, and there's little beyond that - no ultrawide primes and no 35, 50 or 85mm equiv primes - you know the standard lenses across all lens lineups? I'm not saying they need three 35's, just one, and I'm doubtful we'll ever see one. I would help if there were an electronic adapter for Canon lenses to open up options, but that's not in the cards as well. I believe the rumors of the camera division staff getting reassigned, I think sales of the NX1 didn't meet expectations and Samsung isn't making money so they're going to shutter the NX line. Meanwhile they can't crank out high margin/high volume smartphones fast enough, go where the money is, R.I.P.

Turn a profit by selling your services, not turn a profit by selling your cameras, which is what these people are talking about. To them, the "investment" is not the enablement of their business/hobby, but is the physical items themselves.

I don't agree with anything you're saying, which ultimately is why I sold the camera. FW 1.3 couldn't do proper BB AF, the way its been done on many other cameras for years. For me, fly by wire makes it tougher to fine tune focus since its inconsistent and when you shut off the camera (something I do frequently to preserve batteries since mirrorless cameras really chew through them) many lenses reset. I can leave my A7rII/Canon 16-35 on my tripod and focus will be at the same spot when I turn the camera back on. The two S zooms are nice, the rest of the zooms are incredibly mediocre, and there's little beyond that - no ultrawide primes and no 35, 50 or 85mm equiv primes - you know the standard lenses across all lens lineups? I'm not saying they need three 35's, just one, and I'm doubtful we'll ever see one. I would help if there were an electronic adapter for Canon lenses to open up options, but that's not in the cards as well. I believe the rumors of the camera division staff getting reassigned, I think sales of the NX1 didn't meet expectations and Samsung isn't making money so they're going to shutter the NX line. Meanwhile they can't crank out high margin/high volume smartphones fast enough, go where the money is, R.I.P.

As I said before, you don't like the way they have implemented the back button, because it is not exactly like Canon/Nikon, and you can't adjust. That is a problem with you, not the camera. I happen to like the way it is.

Samsung are shutting down the point and shoots, which have never sold well and the sector overall is declining. Doing that makes business sense because there is no point in reinvesting in that particular market under those circumstances. That doesn't mean they are shutting down the NX line.

The NX1 cameras and at least some of the S lenses have been in short supply ever since release, which means they definitely have been selling more than they projected. That is hardly a failure. It is not that easy to just ramp up production either, since the camera probably has a 2 year product cycle and there is not enough time to make it worthwhile. Production planning is done well in advance and is limited by the physical resources available to do it. If factory capacity has not been planned to meet demand, they can't just push a "faster" button to churn out more, the rate of production will remain the same. This is pretty much the same challenge Nikon are facing with their P900. Short supply is a valid reason for why the cameras were in so few physical store locations and why retailers are dropping the line. The reason they usually cite, when people ask, is because they can't get the cameras.

In addition, most likely there will be an NX2 rolling in at around Photokina 2016. NX1 production will be scaled down and turned over to NX2 production in the lead up, further reducing supply in the short term. Because they can't supply everyone they have apparently taken the decision to centralize distribution and focus on a limited number of markets.

The bottom line is, we won't know for sure what is going on with the camera division until CES (perhaps) or Photokina (for sure).

I expect that we will see a NX50 being released at CES, which will basically be the electronics of the NX1 in a body with a consumer build. Then at Photokina I expect that there will be a NX2 with updated sensors and processors. And probably at both trade shows a few lenses will be released.

And most likely you are not going to be able to get these cameras easily outside of a few central markets, such as Korea, Germany and the US. As the brand becomes more established they will slowly expand into the smaller markets.

Turn a profit by selling your services, not turn a profit by selling your cameras, which is what these people are talking about. To them, the "investment" is not the enablement of their business/hobby, but is the physical items themselves.

oh ok. Another thing we can hope for is that these clients who only know and equate "canon 5d" as quality judge the professional by his work and not the fact that he's shooting on a dead system lol

I hear a lot of people talking about the NX lenses and saying the lack of a lineup is an issue. For me personally I liked what I seen from the NX lenses but no matter the brand I absolutely hate autofocus for video. I know it has improved dramatically but to me the look you get from adapted lenses are just priceless. I am using a set of Canon FD L lenses and they are sharp enough especially stopped down to resolve the 28mp of detail yet still have that distinct aesthetic from the film era. The era where people cared about how the lens rendered an image instead of how sharp it could make the lines on a chart look. Lol sometimes I swear people shoot charts for a living and if so I would love to know where to get started as a chart photographer/videographer so I can make some of that money ! Seriously though I personally never judged this camera for their line of lenses, all I needed to know was that they can take lenses from canon & nikon mount and it was a go ! You could jump body to body and brand to brand, as long as you can use your existing line of lenses I think that's more than plenty for any camera system. Just my opinion/perspective not trying to pass it off as fact

WTF are you talking about?  I buy cameras used or refurbished and sometimes sell them for the exact same price I bought them for.  If you want to mismanage your money that is your choice by why tell us to?  You're living in a parallel universe.  You only have two hands.  You can only use one or maybe two cameras at a time.  What is the point of a closet full of depreciating cameras?  I mean it's a free country.  You can do what you want.  But no way I would just sit on the 50D I picked up for $300.  After a year I sold it and used the money to buy a $500 BMPCC NEW.  And I could turn around and sell that camera for the same price I bought it for.  This isn't even something to argue about.  You can go on ebay and see the prices yourself.  If you go out on day one when a camera hits store shelves and pay full price that is your own fault.  But if you wait and pick it up for a solid discount it's not going to lose a substantial amount of value in a year or two if it is a solid camera.  Now if the entire system gets canceled... well yeah.  Sure that could definitely result in some painful loses.

I mean if you put in 2 hours worth of work to sell a $300 body you aren't using that is an excellent return.  How many people on this forum make $150 an hour after tax?!

Once you take it out the shop, and have used it for a year or two, most lenses are worth practically nothing.

Are you buying lensbabies?!  I've got several Rollei PQ lenses I bought years ago and they are still selling for the same price I got mine for.

WTF are you talking about?  I buy cameras used or refurbished and sometimes sell them for the exact same price I bought them for.  If you want to mismanage your money that is your choice by why tell us to?  You're living in a parallel universe.  You only have two hands.  You can only use one or maybe two cameras at a time.  What is the point of a closet full of depreciating cameras?  I mean it's a free country.  You can do what you want.  But no way I would just sit on the 50D I picked up for $300.  After a year I sold it and used the money to buy a $500 BMPCC NEW.  And I could turn around and sell that camera for the same price I bought it for.  This isn't even something to argue about.  You can go on ebay and see the prices yourself.  If you go out on day one when a camera hits store shelves and pay full price that is your own fault.  But if you wait and pick it up for a solid discount it's not going to lose a substantial amount of value in a year or two if it is a solid camera.  Now if the entire system gets canceled... well yeah.  Sure that could definitely result in some painful loses.

I mean if you put in 2 hours worth of work to sell a $300 body you aren't using that is an excellent return.  How many people on this forum make $150 an hour after tax?!

Are you buying lensbabies?!  I've got several Rollei PQ lenses I bought years ago and they are still selling for the same price I got mine for.

either I missed the point or he doesn't know what he's talking about. I go Canon FD lens shopping and watch on a bi-weekly basis lenses from the 70's going up in price. Soooo idk where @tugela is getting this from but again...maybe im missing the point

My Canon FD collection has gone up in price in the past two years. By more than double. So I'm not sure where he's coming from there. 

Maybe it was practical to use cameras until they fell apart in the past, but with cameras being replaced by new models so often and the used market being as robust as it is, there's very little reason not to sell cameras you don't intend to use. Potential resale value isn't the main reason I buy a camera, but when it makes my ownership of a dope-ass camera into (essentially) a $50 three-year loan, it's definitely a consideration.

Food for thought: http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/11/04/staying-on-the-bleeding-edge-an-economic-strategy/

My Canon FD collection has gone up in price in the past two years. By more than double. So I'm not sure where he's coming from there. 

Maybe it was practical to use cameras until they fell apart in the past, but with cameras being replaced by new models so often and the used market being as robust as it is, there's very little reason not to sell cameras you don't intend to use. Potential resale value isn't the main reason I buy a camera, but when it makes my ownership of a dope-ass camera into (essentially) a $50 three-year loan, it's definitely a consideration.

Food for thought: http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/11/04/staying-on-the-bleeding-edge-an-economic-strategy/

you nailed it !

Looks like it can either go two ways : whether the rumor is true or false we abandon the nx system namely the nx1 and sell while we can OR we hold onto it and magically the camera goes up or stabilizes in value because it's the last product from Samsung, a great camera & h.265 support from major NLE's increases the quality of our productions & streamlines our workflows. Its a big gamble...I wanna see who's willing to take the risk

Looks like it can either go two ways : whether the rumor is true or false we abandon the nx system namely the nx1 and sell while we can OR we hold onto it and magically the camera goes up or stabilizes in value because it's the last product from Samsung, a great camera & h.265 support from major NLE's increases the quality of our productions & streamlines our workflows. 

Or you can buy it because you love what it can do and just use it until it falls apart. There's very little you can't shoot with an NX1, and adapted glass will always be an option. 

Also, someone posted something a couple pages back that I need to address: Samsung lenses are not overpriced. Like...at all. Most of them are in the $200-400 price range, and even cheaper on the used market. The only expensive ones are the 85mm f/1.4 and the two S zooms. All three are amazing pieces of glass. Most of the pancakes are excellent as well, on top of being small and cheap. The focal lengths aren't that strange. You've got (equivalent): 24mm, 30mm (close enough to 28), 45mm, 67.5mm (admittedly weird for stills, but classic for cinema), 90mm, and 127.5mm (close enough to 135).

So I honestly have no idea what that dude is talking about. That's a more comprehensive lens line-up than Sony's APS-C by far

Or you can buy it because you love what it can do and just use it until it falls apart. There's very little you can't shoot with an NX1, and adapted glass will always be an option. 
Also, someone posted something a couple pages back that I need to address: Samsung lenses are not overpriced. Like...at all. Most of them are in the $200-400 price range, and even cheaper on the used market. The only expensive ones are the 85mm f/1.4 and the two S zooms. All three are amazing pieces of glass. Most of the pancakes are excellent as well, on top of being small and cheap. The focal lengths aren't that strange. You've got (equivalent): 24mm, 30mm (close enough to 28), 45mm, 67.5mm (admittedly weird for stills, but classic for cinema), 90mm, and 127.5mm (close enough to 135).

So I honestly have no idea what that dude is talking about. That's a more comprehensive lens line-up than Sony's APS-C by far

dude im keeping mine. I was worried about support but im done letting this rumor get to me. Im sick of people saying what a camera can and can't do. In the hands of someone who KNOWS what they are doing and loves the aesthetic you can make a masterpiece. I love the look of the NX1 and thankfully I haven't ran into any of the issues people speak on and yeah my adapted glass on it looks good even wide open. I'm going to edit & upload some footage just to prove a point. Im sticking with this cam lol