jacoblewis

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business?

http://photorumors.com/2015/09/18/is-samsung-shutting-down-their-camera-business/

Is it true? I'm a bit concerned. NX1 and NX500 are on a big discount at B&H right now.  And we haven't seen any new product announcements from Samsung in a while.  Especially in their professional lens department.  But it also seems odd that they've been pushing firmware update after update with the NX1, with some pretty big improvements.  And H265 is finally being supported in Premiere, so I'm conflicted in what to believe.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think you should believe an obscure Korean blog even though Samsung themselves have denied it. I mean, just because some guy heard something from someone who says he might or might not be an "insider", that can't possibly be made up, can it? I has to be 110% true!!

Samsung has these promos all the time (I bought the NX1/16-50S package during the NAB demo myself). In fact, the NX1/16-50S combo seems to have actually gone UP to $2,799 on B&H (from the usual $2,699), which is odd.

That is because they are going out of business. They have to increase prices to get their money back. Everyone does it.

I also find it hard to believe. Despite their alien mount, with the NX1 Samsung has shown they have to potential to distrupt the market with unique products. Moreover, NX1 form is what Canikons DSLR bodies will tranform into in the near future. 

Not to mention that they cannot abandon the market before they release the video oriented NX1... 

I bought my nx1 back in early spring with a 20% discount. The nx500 is currently also 20% off.

Sales comes and goes, specially on cameras that arent doing well like Samsung. 

I think you should believe an obscure Korean blog even though Samsung themselves have denied it. I mean, just because some guy heard something from someone who says he might or might not be an "insider", that can't possibly be made up, can it? I has to be 110% true!!

That is because they are going out of business. They have to increase prices to get their money back. Everyone does it.

And he wrote it on the internet, that has to be legit.

How do you know they didn't do well relative to projections? The NX1 was frequently backordered after it was released, which indicates that that it was selling considerably better than what they had planned for. That doesn't happen with cameras no one wants.

Currently at [email protected] the NX1 has a $200 off special. The 7D mark 2 has $300 off. By your logic we would have to conclude that the 7D mark2 is also in trouble and sales aren't doing well. The 5D3 is reduced by $300 as well. Clearly Canon is in the toilet....sell your Canon gear ASAP while you still can!! :persevere:

All the electronics stores were I live (ie currys) never have any new cameras. Its all stuff thats like four years old and boring. Its like no-one who works at the company actually gives a shit about electronics.  It seems they just want to flog old stock to people who haven't learnt how to use the internet.  This is in a highly populated area of the uk with a population larger than the entirety of Sweden. The nx1 not appearing in an sweedish camera shop I would imagine means absolutely zero.

All the electronics stores were I live (ie currys) never have any new cameras. Its all stuff thats like four years old and boring. Its like no-one who works at the company actually gives a shit about electronics.  It seems they just want to flog old stock to people who haven't learnt how to use the internet.  This is in a highly populated area of the uk with a population larger than the entirety of Sweden. The nx1 not appearing in an sweedish camera shop I would imagine means absolutely zero.

But the stores here always get the new sony, nikon, canon, panasonic cameras really fast but they haven't even got any samsung camera.

They have the g7, e-m5ii, 5ds, lx100, d750, rx10ii, rx100iv, fz1000, a7rii, gh4.

And you missed, They are not carrying it ANY MORE.

They used to, but it didnt sell.

How do you know they didn't do well relative to projections? The NX1 was frequently backordered after it was released, which indicates that that it was selling considerably better than what they had planned for. That doesn't happen with cameras no one wants.

Currently at [email protected] the NX1 has a $200 off special. The 7D mark 2 has $300 off. By your logic we would have to conclude that the 7D mark2 is also in trouble and sales aren't doing well. The 5D3 is reduced by $300 as well. Clearly Canon is in the toilet....sell your Canon gear ASAP while you still can!! :persevere:

Good point, but I didn't write the blog. I'm just making other observations surrounding the rumor that they are shutting down their camera biz.  Did you read the link?

They have the g7, e-m5ii, 5ds, lx100, d750, rx10ii, rx100iv, fz1000, a7rii, gh4.

And you missed, They are not carrying it ANY MORE.

They used to, but it didnt sell.

NX1 is probably not getting traction in Sweden, but I don't think Sweden either represents the world market or is big enough to affect Samsung's global strategy. Also, Samsung is a big company, they can absorb billions of losses if they are set on a long term strategy...they're surely not going to freak out because Sweden stores don't have them in stock.

NX1 is probably not getting traction in Sweden, but I don't think Sweden either represents the world market or is big enough to affect Samsung's global strategy. Also, Samsung is a big company, they can absorb billions of losses if they are set on a long term strategy...they're surely not going to freak out because Sweden stores don't have them in stock.

Don't know who told you they should...

So where is the new NX1mkii? 

all the nx models till now have been announced on a 2 years base. Nx1 is still the best apsc camera on the market by a wide margin. Why should they release a substitute?

My take is: nx50 in november 2015, nx1-mkii in november 2016.

My take is: nx50 in november 2015, nx1-mkii in november 2016.

nx1-mkii in november 2016?  Just in time to compete with the a7sIII.  Samsung better have 8k video by that time.  For a company that releases new cell phones every year, a 2 year camera cycle is just to too long.  People are already financially getting tapped out from Sony.  People are also starting to get entrenched in the sony "system". 

Time for Samsung to keep up, or go home.  2 year cycles are NOT going to cut it.  Perhaps it's just a rumor that Samsung is pulling out.. but if they go with long cycles, they minus well...

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Samsung is too big to shutdown the camera division especially at the moment they're developing cutting-edge imaging sensors, the first industry-acclaimed product (nx1) and their continuation of working on consumer feedback and firmware development. I don't believe for a second the company will suddenly ''shut off' the camera manufacturing, laying off everyone working on them, abandoning all their endless camera models and their users and just suddenly shut out all their lens design/manufacturing holds and their customers. Not gonna happen and it's not a rumor I'd look at unless Samsung publicly announces such actions.