What do you expect to see in the GH5?

Flynn

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

4K/60 or at least 4K/48. No or very minimal rolling shutter in all modes. Oversized s35 sensor ala JVC LS300. Internal 10-bit 4:2:2. A slightly larger body with a rotating grip ala XC10, and a tilting/extending EVF with a decent eyecup (like a bigger version of the GX8 EVF). 200Mbps across the board, with a burst mode for HFR at say 400Mbps (limited to a few seconds though). 1080 up to 240, stays clean all the way up to 120p.

Sounds like you want an FS5 :)

-internal super clean 10bit ALL I 1080p, with a perfect downscale from 4K like the Sony A7s, all that in 24 to 60p

-internal 10 bit 4K

-VLOG

-super clean 1080 120fps 8bit slowmo

- 2000 USD

-small battery grip like HDMI recorder with XLRs and HDMI connectivity for external monitors for around 800 USD

no supernatural feats, just great possible features:)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I can't see a close upgrade for the GH4 at all, not before the end of 2016 at least where a significantly improved sensor is introduced as the GH4 is a m43s camera/mount (and that's not going to change)

The GH4/EM1 sensor is the maximum of m43s right now as we see, quite suffering in low-light performance and pretty average dynamic range...

So I am NOT excited for anything about the GH5 unless they are able to produce a m43s sensor with high lowlight performance (at least 2 stops cleaner) and higher dynamic range of at least 12 full stops (GH4 V-Log is NOT). 

After they make such sensor, there are many other small things we can talk about. 

Make a great video m43s sensor and lets talk, maybe a native 8-megapixel sensor and make a video-oriented camera, since it's not really a major stills camera going from 16 to 12 (and 8.9mp 16:9) is the best compromise. Sufficiently high resolution stills, big pixels, better lowlight performance, and no additional crop for 4K mode (which goes APS-C/H with the GH4SB)

Make me a really good lowlight performer & DR otherwise I have 0 interest in the current GH4 image aesthetic. 

4K/60 or at least 4K/48. No or very minimal rolling shutter in all modes. Oversized s35 sensor ala JVC LS300. Internal 10-bit 4:2:2. A slightly larger body with a rotating grip ala XC10, and a tilting/extending EVF with a decent eyecup (like a bigger version of the GX8 EVF). 200Mbps across the board, with a burst mode for HFR at say 400Mbps (limited to a few seconds though). 1080 up to 240, stays clean all the way up to 120p.

Go a little larger with built-in XLR and HD-SDI connectors that would make pretty nice specs for an AF200!

Go a little larger with built-in XLR and HD-SDI connectors that would make pretty nice specs for an AF200!

Nah, that'd make it much larger. An updated YAAARRGH grip/box would be a good solution though- smaller than the current version, with a battery slot and SSD or CFast slot. Keep the camera smallish though, for stabilizers, drones, cranes, run-n-gun etc.

IF the GH5 is out sometime in the last quarter of 2016 (or later), I would wish for:

1. Digital Stabilization like that on the Moto X Play/ Style. Despite not having Optical Image Stabilization it does a much better job than mobile phones that do. So I am guessing, it is perfectly doable with video on DSLRs and DSLMs. I am guessing that internal stabilisation especially at 4k and on larger sensors may be an issue, with sensor shift technology, regarding heat. 

2. Better low light and better dynamic range. Panasonic have handled heating issues extremely well, and I don't believe anyone has heard of their cameras overheating. But I guess a lot of people feels their lowlight and dynamic range, especially for video could get better.

3. I wonder if they can have a larger than M4/3rd sensor inside that body (APSC or Full Frame), while maintaining the mount size. Much like the Metabones trick, but the other way around. It may help with low light.

4. That YAGH thing needs some serious makeover. They should add a recorder, preamps, XLRs and a battery in that unit.  And reduce the bulk and bad looks of that thing. Something not much larger than the JuicedLink units.

I guess most other things are pretty neat about Panasonic. 

• 11 months later...
On 19. September 2015 at 7:45 PM, wolf33d said:

Why buy a GH5 when with have full frame A7SII A7RII and soon A6100 with 4K? With better image, better low light, better DoF, better stills picture. 

On 19. September 2015 at 10:27 PM, Inazuma said:

Wolf has a point really. I didn't quite realise just how far Sony have pushed the bar.

Because even people using (first A7S, then A7rii) the Sonys didn't initially realize it fully. Better image? Well, for stills of course. But for video, the expectations had been set so high, most were disappointed at first. For a feature known as 'worse colors', which proved to be hard to overcome. But it can, and then you are rewarded with a feature that was advertised but never actually showed: stunning fifteen stops of DR! 

DR couldn't be used to show off because of  >ridiculous 8-bit with >poor color science >a log-profile utterly inuseable in combination with the corresponding official LUT.

Images never look HDR. You just have little clipping on both ends of the spectrum, much less, in fact, than with most other cameras. To a degree where you don't accept that this shadow has no detail as it would have had with the Sony, but it looked okay in the display (6-bit typically).

Another point is, for video the ergonomics are bad, pushing the bar for the most difficult to use video camera of the millennium. 

Full frame has advantages and disadvantages. For instance, I'd like to adapt more glass. 

50 minutes ago, Axel said:

Because even people using (first A7S, then A7rii) the Sonys didn't initially realize it fully. Better image? Well, for stills of course. But for video, the expectations had been set so high, most were disappointed at first. For a feature known as 'worse colors', which proved to be hard to overcome. But it can, and then you are rewarded with a feature that was advertised but never actually showed: stunning fifteen stops of DR! 

DR couldn't be used to show off because of  >ridiculous 8-bit with >poor color science >a log-profile utterly inuseable in combination with the corresponding official LUT.

Images never look HDR. You just have little clipping on both ends of the spectrum, much less, in fact, than with most other cameras. To a degree where you don't accept that this shadow has no detail as it would have had with the Sony, but it looked okay in the display (6-bit typically).

Another point is, for video the ergonomics are bad, pushing the bar for the most difficult to use video camera of the millennium. 

Full frame has advantages and disadvantages. For instance, I'd like to adapt more glass. 

Have you used the recent Sony's? (a6300, a7s ii, a7r ii). As much as I love to use Panasonics, I find their skintones aggressively processed (causing blotchy skin) - a problem which the a6300 doesn't have. And SLOG2 with the narrower gamut of SGamut3.cine gives extremely nice tonality with noticeably wider DR than Panasonics. Yeh the ergonomics of Sonys are bad but I forgive them for the image they produce. I ended up selling my a6300 because of the soft 1080p and jello 4k. I'd get a a7s ii if it was in my price range and it was a bit smaller physically. 

2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

As much as I love to use Panasonics, I find their skintones aggressively processed (causing blotchy skin)

Then poor skintones have survived the evolution from GH2, the last time I used Panasonic. Funny enough, I have said the exact same thing about Sony skintones, those of the A7S and the FS7. Now I mostly get footage from the A7rii (I own none of the cameras myself), and the colors are much improved, FS7 as well - due to intensive research of the operators.. That said, the skintones in particular are really nothing to write home about. Nowhere even close to what I had with the Pocket back then, let alone what can be depicted with Ursa mini. Nobody has done that, as far as I can see, so I guess it's not possible. 

Right now, comparing from what is available to me, I think I would prefer A7S/Sii/rii over GH4, and then because of DR and colors. Lowlight capabilities are not so important (don't like night-for-day-shots. On the other hand, the aforementioned detail in the shadows of a normal shot also has to do with this), too shallow DoF is not desirable (but then again, you can close the aperture inside a room because of good lowlight).

Back on topic, for the GH5 to be attractive for me, it had to have good colors in 10-bit.

Expect: IBIS, LOG profile with ability to monitor with Rec709 LUT in camera. Anamorphic monitering of some kind.

Maybe: 6K in 24 fps only.

Want: 10-bit 4:2:2 in camera, better DR and rolling shutter.

In my dreams: Super 35 size sensor that crops when using panasonic glass.

6 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

240fps in 1080p 

lowlight

ibis

10bit 

id pay 5k easy for this 

I'd like to add 

DPAF

better skin tones (it should nail the skin tones each time rather than manual adjustments to WB even after white card white balancing).

5k....I guess I would but that puts a damper on things, and I'd demand more features.

I really hope they are specific with the announcement today which is a lot to demand for a pre-announcement.  Not something like "revolutionary features with the new chip! then list all the specs that we don't need"