Canon to release a mirorless camera very soon

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Canon clearly mentioned that 4k is not coming any time soon due to "Cost" issues.

MM: Well, historically, I think that Canon was the first in the world to come out with a 4K product. In 2011, we had the Canon EOS 1D C, and then we had the Canon Cinema EOS C500 for professional use. For the consumer models, I think that we still need to work a little bit more on the balance between the cost and the sensor sensitivity before we can come out in the market. As you may know, Canon's main point of difficulty is to reduce costs.

[Ed. note: This is interesting, in that Canon views cost competitiveness as their main point of challenge in the market. It's also interesting in that it sounds like we won't see much in the way of 4K video in their SLR lineup for a little while yet.]

If they can release a mirrorless camera with XC10/C100-level image quality in 1080p without Sony's RS and overheating issues, I'd be a happy camper. 

From the interview, something like that seems like the only possibility. Unless, their gonna go the Pentax Q route and make a small, "fun," selfie camera. So, since that makes the least sense, that's probably what they'll do. 

Well, if they're not ready for 4K, then what could they possibly do to make a really enticing mirrorless? Full Frame? Doubtful, because it seems like they are boosting their ef-m lens line up. Maybe a cine-mirrorless that shoots 1080p CLog? 

I think the issue for them is that their processors are not up to the task, and in order to produce competitive 4K they will need multiple processors. That would be fine for something like the 5D line, bit not for more consumer orientated products, where the cost would be prohibitive. So, rather than release substandard 4K they don't release it at all.

There are people who constantly say the C100 triumphs the DSLRs. I may be the only saying this, but I think the C100 is overrated. Even the C100 Mark II is overrated to me as well.  Especially when there is Magic and Tragic Lantern.

Magic Lantern is not really a comparison. You are comparing a camera with insanely terrible work flow and reliability, vs a full fledged documentary camera… I own the 5D3 and shoot MLV, but I wish I owned a c100mkii for a lot of things. 

Canon clearly mentioned that 4k is not coming any time soon due to "Cost" issues.

MM: Well, historically, I think that Canon was the first in the world to come out with a 4K product. In 2011, we had the Canon EOS 1D C, and then we had the Canon Cinema EOS C500 for professional use. For the consumer models, I think that we still need to work a little bit more on the balance between the cost and the sensor sensitivity before we can come out in the market. As you may know, Canon's main point of difficulty is to reduce costs.

[Ed. note: This is interesting, in that Canon views cost competitiveness as their main point of challenge in the market. It's also interesting in that it sounds like we won't see much in the way of 4K video in their SLR lineup for a little while yet.]

Thanks for posting this.  OP should have included the link to the whole interview in his post...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/09/16/canon-maeda-promises-eos-m-enthusiasts-more-aps-c-lenses-new-printers

It's pretty clear from what Maeda is saying in the original source that there is no consumer 4k on the horizon.  We know Canon can make mirrorless cameras.  The question is can they make one with compelling video features.  This article would seem to say no.

I'm not sure why you have a vendetta against the c100 Zach but the points you make are pretty wild. And pretty strange coming from a guy who baffled everyone here with his inability to understand lighting.

Yeh fair enough you shouldn't upgrade until you feel you could make best use of the new gear. But a lot of people here are way above 7D territory here Zach, both financially and skill-level wise.