New still/video camera for 1000E

Fontao

Hi guys;

Been lurking EOSHD for a long time now, and what a brilliant video site it has become.

I've been shooting with Oly E-P1 and Canon 60d, and it is time to buy a new camera. I'm a m. doctor so this camera will also be used to record my patients.

Budget: 1000-1200 euros

Priorities: 60% Stills (indoors, portraits, and few low-light situations); 40% Video (indoor, no uber need for 4k although good 1080p would be appreciated). 

Detailed 1080p and still IQ are what i'm looking for.

Current Glass: Oly 17mm f2.8; Canon EF-S kit zoom 17-55 and 10-18.

I'm thinking this is a good time to buy some micro 4/3 and Sony gear, due to price reductions in gx7, G6 and a7 - what do you think?

Which one do you think it is a better deal and why?

. GX7 14-42 - 500 euro

. G7 14-42 - 700 euro

. G7 14-140mm - 850 euro

. Sony a7 body only - 1000 euro

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi guys;

Been lurking EOSHD for a long time now, and what a brilliant video site it has become.

I've been shooting with Oly E-P1 and Canon 60d, and it is time to buy a new camera. I'm a m. doctor so this camera will also be used to record my patients.

Budget: 1000-1200 euros

Priorities: 60% Stills (indoors, portraits, and few low-light situations); 40% Video (indoor, no uber need for 4k although good 1080p would be appreciated). 

Detailed 1080p and still IQ are what i'm looking for.

Current Glass: Oly 17mm f2.8; Canon EF-S kit zoom 17-55 and 10-18.

I'm thinking this is a good time to buy some micro 4/3 and Sony gear, due to price reductions in gx7, G6 and a7 - what do you think?

Which one do you think it is a better deal and why?

. GX7 14-42 - 500 euro

. G7 14-42 - 700 euro

. G7 14-140mm - 850 euro

. Sony a7 body only - 1000 euro

Thanks!

I got my A7 last week and i love it, not the sharpest 1080p but the Dynamic range with portrait -3-3-3 its very good. Get Film convert and you have a lovely image.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I say D5300/5500 too but that's if you didn't have the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 (expensive) and 10-18mm STM (has no nikon equivalent) so a mirrorless that takes your lenses is the best choice, A panasonic G7. SONY a7 won't take any of your glass and video quality is quite bad (similar or a tad worse than your 60D, but much better stills of course).

Edit: If by Canon 17-55mm you meant 18-55mm,

Then you have no high investment in lenses weighing you to one brand so sell your glass/bodies and get a D5300 + 18-105mm + 50mm 1.8 and/or 35mm 1.8. 

I say D5300/5500 too but that's if you didn't have the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 (expensive) and 10-18mm STM (has no nikon equivalent) so a mirrorless that takes your lenses is the best choice, A panasonic G7. SONY a7 won't take any of your glass and video quality is quite bad (similar or a tad worse than your 60D, but much better stills of course).

Edit: If by Canon 17-55mm you meant 18-55mm,

Then you have no high investment in lenses weighing you to one brand so sell your glass/bodies and get a D5300 + 18-105mm + 50mm 1.8 and/or 35mm 1.8. 

The Nikon D550 looks like a great camera, with a Flat profile for video and great low light too. But, for video it has a strange color shift between various ISOs. From a red to a yelow tint, vacillating between various ISO settings. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The Nikon D550 looks like a great camera, with a Flat profile for video and great low light too. But, for video it has a strange color shift between various ISOs. From a red to a yelow tint, vacillating between various ISO settings. 

Really? My D5300 doesn't have that. Sounds like a bug

How bad is it? Does it look like a WB shift?

Perhaps it's an Auto WB error so can be fixed by setting a custom WB (which I hate to do, AWB always worked for me) but worth to check

Really? My D5300 doesn't have that. Sounds like a bug

How bad is it? Does it look like a WB shift?

Perhaps it's an Auto WB error so can be fixed by setting a custom WB (which I hate to do, AWB always worked for me) but worth to check

I seem to be a little lost. Maybe it was the D5300 instead of the D5500, or I am unable to find the video. Anyway, please check this video first.  I will try and find the D5500 video too:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Nikon+D5300+extreme+low+light+video+test&view=detail&mid=9040F02122116092FAE19040F02122116092FAE1&FORM=VRRTAP

Sony a6000 is also a kind of ghost in my conscience: it's now very cheap, good vídeo with updated xavc s and larger sensor than micro 43. Handling it, i didn t enjoy the ergonomics, specially evf placement. 

So gx7+ new glass, a6000, g7 or crippled glassed a7?