When is "Good Enough" Enough? The rise of mirrorless and the jump to 4K.

Lintelfilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Oh boy. A few hours in and you're already involved in a ruckus :p

I know!!!!

Am I to blame? Seriously? I know I could have just not "fed" them ... but they threw the first punch right? I just posted an article I wrote! I expected disagreement ... but character assassination? Why?

I think I'm having a dejavu.

Ha ha. :) 

I suppose I should be flattered that people remember me.

What do you think araucaria? Do I deserve the aggression? I get that there's history here but we're all (mostly?) adults right? And it's just a freaking camera forum...

How should I have dealt with this? Or is the general message just "go away, whatever you're selling"? :(

Again you failed to read what I said. I said she didn't want used equipment listed.

If someone asked me to write an article with arbitrary and meaningless criteria I would say no.  I would write an article that is best for the consumer.  That is what this website is all about.  Suggesting a noob go out at spend $540 on a G6 kit in 2015 is to me as big a crime as telling someone to purchase a t5i.

I talked about the GH4, NX1 etc. I don't remember praising them particularly.

Umm... you used them as a comparison to show how bad Canon is.  So I don't see what is wrong with me mentioning the 5D MK III raw and the 1DC.  From a noobs point of view what you wrote simply says "Canon bad."  I don't know what you meant to say.  All I can tell you is how it is perceived.

I don't think it's misrepresentative to say those cameras broke Canon's near-monopolising of hybrid video though. They did. Outside of a few forums like this Canons are the go-to cameras for cheap large sensor video. How do you see the current camera landscape?

I see in the lower market segments people using all sorts of alternatives to Canon.  And I see when money is no object people flocking to Canon.

The problem is you don't present an up to date holistic view of the camera market.  You don't even cover sensor size.  I really wouldn't have a problem with the article, there are tons of incomplete articles on the internet, but to post this on this forum as a "correction" article really invites a lot of criticism.  That's what really bothered me about it.  And the fact the target market is noobs working with limited information already.

If someone asked me to write an article with arbitrary and meaningless criteria I would say no.  I would write an article that is best for the consumer.  market is noobs working with limited information already.

How is it arbitrary and meaningless? It's for noob documentary makers who only have so much money. There are thousands of them based on the response to the article.

Umm... you used them as a comparison to show how bad Canon is.  So I don't see what is wrong with me mentioning the 5D MK III raw and the 1DC.  From a noobs point of view what you wrote simply says "Canon bad."  I don't know what you meant to say.  All I can tell you is how it is perceived.

Yawn I already answered this. And you're not telling me how IT is percieved - you're telling me how YOU percieve it. Very different.

The problem is you don't present an up to date holistic view of the camera market.  You don't even cover sensor size.  

The brief wasn't to tell people about how cameras work. That stuff is already on the site. 

I suggest you come up with an alternative to my brief or stop talking.

Personally I would have skipped the whole gh2 stuff and gone directly to a few options, one of them being the panasonic.

Yeah I thought about that. I wanted to write something though - not just list gear. And most of the audience is completely in the dark about Panasonic as far as I can tell. 

I do not think that G6 is old hat. It is still very capable camera. This adventure movie from Venezuela Ayuan Tepui was all shot on G6 (except of some GoPro shots):

Wow! Awesome work, midloch! Can you share your camera settings and some info on how you graded this? And what lenses did you use?

I guess this confirms the old budget filmmaker addage of "buy something cheap and functional, master it completely, then go out and learn to not suck with it."

Wow! Awesome work, midloch! Can you share your camera settings and some info on how you graded this? And what lenses did you use?
I guess this confirms the old budget filmmaker addage of "buy something cheap and functional, master it completely, then go out and learn to not suck with it."

Thanx a lot TheRenaissanceMan!  My settings on G6 is -5,-5,-2,-2. The picture is really very flat. I do not use any LUTs or Magic Bullets looks etc. in Sony Vegas, all is graded shot by shot manually. Firstly I decrase colors by "black and white" function then use Color Corector + saturation+gain+gamma+offset, after I play with RGB color curves. I also use the film grain background to make the picture more "organic".

The lenses I mostly use are Panasonic 25mm F1,4 then Panasonic 14mm F 2,5, for longer shots Canon FD 85mm F1,8 and also Practicar Pentacon 135mm F 2,8. It is very important to use correct ND, I use only fixed ND 8 and 4 and 12. As G6 and also my lenses are not stabilised it is somertimes hard to make proper shots when climbing the Tepuy or when wading through the swamp in the jungle :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

so the adventure movie Tepui Dream about journey to the highest waterfall on the Earth is ready now and  with english subtitles :-)

This expedition will lead you through the jungle to the Ayuan Tepui the mesa in wild Venezuela shot on Panasonic DMC G6 and edited in Sony Vegas 12 Pro. I hope you will like it.

Hi Guys,

so the adventure movie Tepui Dream about journey to the highest waterfall on the Earth is ready now and  with english subtitles :-)

This expedition will lead you through the jungle to the Ayuan Tepui the mesa in wild Venezuela shot on Panasonic DMC G6 and edited in Sony Vegas 12 Pro. I hope you will like it.

Awesome job on that! Great sense of pulling your audience in with story, visuals and sound. All the puzzle bits just fall in place. I loved in particular the sequence at 14:13-14:19. Well implemented use of motion and composition for the shots. The look came out looking great! Nothing 'meh, M43!' about it. Well done.

Well, I shared the piece with my class as they are all on the Canon t5i train and clueless about other options. So thanks for the article. I don't care what they choose as long as they're informed and aren't just choosing a camera because they know the brand is popular. Whatever they chose, there should be a reason, a feature, that makes it right for their project.

If someone asked me to write an article with arbitrary and meaningless criteria I would say no.  I would write an article that is best for the consumer.  That is what this website is all about.  Suggesting a noob go out at spend $540 on a G6 kit in 2015 is to me as big a crime as telling someone to purchase a t5i.

Nah! Recommending buying a T5i is a far far greater crime. 

And like the other guy said, not everybody is comfortable buying second hand. Unfortunate, but true. 

But for them, it can make sense paying new prices then for a G6 / A6000 / NX500 / whatever.

Awesome job on that! Great sense of pulling your audience in with story, visuals and sound. All the puzzle bits just fall in place. I loved in particular the sequence at 14:13-14:19. Well implemented use of motion and composition for the shots. The look came out looking great! Nothing 'meh, M43!' about it. Well done.

Thank you a lot and I send the best regards to Vienna from Brno! :-)