3AM LA // Shot at ISO 1600 in V-Log L

Zak Forsman

I used one of James Miller's new V-Log LUTs (AA20) for a moody look. This was shot at ISO 1600 because I wanted to see how bad it would look, given all the complaints about noise. To my surprise, this LUT does a fine job of suppressing it. It's a darker grade but there is more going on than that. A pass of the same clips with the Varicam V709 LUT follows for comparison. That's also the LUT I had loaded into the Odyssey 7Q+ while I was shooting. 

GH4 + Helios 44 + Metabones Speed Booster + ISO 1600 + V-Log L (-5, -5) + Captured in 10bit ProRes HQ + LUT AA20 by James Miller

GRADED

V709

So while Vimeo compression has hidden half the noise, I gotta say I'm kinda okay with how the noise looks. It gets pretty disgusting when you move NR above -5, in my opinion. But leaving NR all the way down let's the noise be fine and detailed, which I prefer to murky and glompy. I rarely shoot above ISO 800 but given the right context, the right kind of movie, I think it works.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Also there's some really bad rolling shutter in those shots, that wobbly footage imo is one of the worst things I see in "amateur" footage.....

It's better than any of the other 4K hybrids. By a mile. 

Looks like the GH4 still shows those weird blobby artifacts around point light sources at high ISO. I really hope they work on that for the GH5. It's so wacky-looking and impossible to correct in post. 

Otherwise, great vid! Even though it's a throwaway test, your skill shines through in the editing, atmosphere, and music choice. 

Speaking of which...anyone who's played a Valve game should find the music familiar. It's from Half-Life, but now plays over Valve's studio logo when loading any of their titles.

My biggest concern with V-Log right now is I'm seeing Magenta/Cyan blocking. It's easiest to see against a flat gray gradient, like a wall. Someone posted a comparison with Cinelike D that illustrated the difference pretty well, but I can't find it now. It's more apparent in the V709 version of my video. The DELUT verision seems to suppress it.

My biggest concern with V-Log right now is I'm seeing Magenta/Cyan blocking. It's easiest to see against a flat gray gradient, like a wall. Someone posted a comparison with Cinelike D that illustrated the difference pretty well, but I can't find it now. It's more apparent in the V709 version of my video. The DELUT verision seems to suppress it.

Really? Even in 10-bit? And is this mainly at higher ISOs, or are you seeing it at all sensitivities?

it's possible they're not related. here's the post about the magenta/cyan thing. i'll do my own test to see if it exists in 10 bit. from my night footage, with the V709 LUT applied, the reds would go berserk with chunky noise and this unevenness looked like a similar/related issue.

here's the post I read about the issue in 8 bit. http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?340370-Exposing-V-LOG-L&p=1986577386&viewfull=1#post1986577386

A video game.......

Also there's some really bad rolling shutter in those shots, that wobbly footage imo is one of the worst things I see in "amateur" footage.....

haha, yeah, if I had left the soundtrack intact on the cut video, you would hear me mumbling "jesus fucking christ" every time it revealed itself. but last night I was more interested in color and dynamic range, so i let it slide.