V-log unlocked for free!

Aragonnarun

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Aaron Chicago,

Basing on your screen grabs of the LUT creater, do you use a color picker to click on the area in the screen and the nodes on the color grid gets auto selected based on the area you clicked on?

I can also see the reddish "Y" on the framed pic in your sample also being affected slightly aside from the "magenta" and "greenish" blocks/stain on the wall being removed.

@Aaron Chicago,

Basing on your screen grabs of the LUT creater, do you use a color picker to click on the area in the screen and the nodes on the color grid gets auto selected based on the area you clicked on?

I can also see the reddish "Y" on the framed pic in your sample also being affected slightly aside from the "magenta" and "greenish" blocks/stain on the wall being removed.

yeah you click on a portion of the photo and it selects a point on the graph. From there you move the points around to affect the hues.

Maybe we should take a poll:

1. Is the VLog easy to nail regarding exposure?

2. Does it has noticeably more noise, and one that is not organic?

3. Should Panasonic have tested it before release?

4. What about all the Beta Testers who used it (CameraStoreTV, Driftwood, etc etc)? Were they Unaware of it, since Mat from NewsShooter actually said the highlights on the Panasonic DVX200 were pretty much clipped. Since they have similar Log Profiles I am guessing they have similar clipping issues. Though macro blocking seems more prominent on the gh4.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my key in the mail. It's literally a sheet of paper with a key printed on it.

IMG_3360.JPG

Just got mine in. Man. Overkill on the packaging much? A sleeve for the key (on cardboard back), the manual, both inside a box. With some air cushioning put in another box, weighing in at 210gr total... express shipping too. They could've spared the environment a bit by just mailing it to me electronically or something. Geez.

Oh well. Fully unlockage! Now just have to pick my APS-C covering C-mount lenses up from the post office and give both V-LOG and those a try.

A kind fella named Joonas T helped me figure out a solution to reduce the macro blocking (cyan/magenta). Using a program called 3D Lut Creator. It takes a little bit of work but it's a good solution for those particular shots that have a beige/grey surface.

Cyan.jpg

3DLutCreator1.jpg

So does this mean you've created a standard LUT that can now be applied to all v-log footage to help with this issue? ... and if so can we have it! :d

Does this 3D Lut Creator work with Davinci Resolve?

Kind of expensive, as I am just a hobbiest, doing this stuff just for personal family and friends.

Though I say expensive, as I just purchased a dongle for Davinci Resolve, and a new GH4 body.

Ive been out the loop all summer directing a film , back on here again now and excited to see this v log update -

for someone coming late to the party whats the verdict ? is it worth having?

Welcome back Andy.

I haven't tried v-log yet either, am taking a break.

What is the consensus on it?

I've used it quite a bit now and I'm loving it with 10 bit recording sans plain walls or sunset. Just shot part of a music video with it that I'll post some clips soon.

Welcome back Andy.

From what I understand, it's great with higher contrast scenes and drastically improved by 10- bit recording. It's flatter, lower contrast shots, especially internally recorded ones, where it struggles a bit. I've heard some people are intercutting it with CineV with good results.

what's the most difficult aspect of directing a film for you?

getting the money !! the rest of it is easy once you have a budget you need haha !!

Welcome back Andy.

Thank you Mr Reid , back with alot of excitment over this V Log update - I have another feature film to shoot in March next year and I'm now seriously thinking of doing it with 4 x GH4 with V Log .......will have to test it alot first

have any of you see this test : Its very interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX-7k_WswJU

to my eyes the Panny has more detail in the highlights than the Sony, the 'white areas' are alot less blown out,

BUT is this all at the expense of more noise in the blacks? can some of you that use it comment on this

are the dark areas now very very noisy??

I've used it quite a bit now and I'm loving it with 10 bit recording sans plain walls or sunset. Just shot part of a music video with it that I'll post some clips soon.

sounds interesting thanks for that .....are you now getting more banding on the plain walls? what is going on with walls?

Here are 5 clips from a shoot I did with a realtor. 10 bit V Log via Ninja Star. Please don't share! Password: GH4

There is detail in the sky and the highlights on the car , looks very useable...what the noise issue like? are you getting more noise and micro blocking in the blacks now with v log?

getting the money !! the rest of it is easy once you have a budget you need haha !!

Thank you Mr Reid , back with alot of excitment over this V Log update - I have another feature film to shoot in March next year and I'm now seriously thinking of doing it with 4 x GH4 with V Log .......will have to test it alot first

have any of you see this test : Its very interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX-7k_WswJU

to my eyes the Panny has more detail in the highlights than the Sony, the 'white areas' are alot less blown out,

BUT is this all at the expense of more noise in the blacks? can some of you that use it comment on this

are the dark areas now very very noisy??

sounds interesting thanks for that .....are you now getting more banding on the plain walls? what is going on with walls?

There is detail in the sky and the highlights on the car , looks very useable...what the noise issue like? are you getting more noise and micro blocking in the blacks now with v log?

The noise in 10 bit is okay. The cyan/magenta blocking is bad on smooth light colored walls. Sunsets show off some banding even in 10 bit for some reason. Other than that it's very usuable and the colors are great.