V-log unlocked for free!

Aragonnarun

From the info that has been shared here and in the article linked on the other page, shouldn't it be enough most of the time to ETTR using zebras at 75% (or 80% - need to test this) almost all the time and then pull down as needed? Shouldn't that do the trick as well or even better than the 18%/42 IRE/greycard/waveform with external recorder thingie majingie magic? Anyway it will be fun to figure this all out. Can't wait for the 2.4 firmware update with 4:2:2 ;)

10 bit 4:2:2 in camera would be game over. I couldn't see using any other camera for a long time.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Did anyone work out if the histograms work correctly in any combination, i.e. VLog-L paid upgrade, VLog-L selected by App, VLog-L on Custom (the last one apparently doesn't)?

Oh and for the record I do like Cinelike-D, not so sure about VLog-L and waiting to see how people get on.

v-LOG

55UY9Y8.jpg

Varicam v-LOG to REC709 

nUSF3ng.jpg

Modified v-LOG to REC709 (as posted in this thread by Marshal Davis)

1AOxVHD.jpg

Varicam v-LOG to REC709 followed by a 709 to FUJI LUT

XqA3d0y.jpg 

ISO 400, Speed 50fps, f5.6 - it was very overcast when I shot this and "original v-LOG to REC709" looks pretty accurate to what I was seeing when shooting...

No additional curves tweaked, colour correction, etc.

Well, nice of Panasonic to give us a free, err, preview of V-Log while we all wait for our pieces of paper with a number on it...!

I've just shot a little at 1600 ISO and the noise seems to be more obtrusive than with the Cinelike profiles, but then I'm also getting better looking skin straight out of the camera. Colours look very accurate using Panasonic's VLog to rec709 LUT. Can't wait until morning so I can shoot some outdoor stuff!

Did anyone work out if the histograms work correctly in any combination, i.e. VLog-L paid upgrade, VLog-L selected by App, VLog-L on Custom (the last one apparently doesn't)?

Oh and for the record I do like Cinelike-D, not so sure about VLog-L and waiting to see how people get on.

Don't quote me on any of this, I am not an expert and this is pure conjecture...

...but I think the Zebras are working as it's supposed to. The V-Log curve, if I understand correctly, pulls the highlights down so that what used to be 255/100% now sits at more like 80%. I came to that conclusion by pointing the camera at a bright light and adjusting the zebra threshold in settings until I showed that I was over -- zebras would show at 80%, but not show at 85%. So basically with V-Log 80% is the new 100%, so we all have to adjust the camera settings accordingly. I'm willing to bet that the zebras will function the same way when activated using the key. The only thing this workaround did was to "unhide" the V-Log profile in the camera, because the Panasonic Image App wasn't updated to read whether the camera has V-Log activated, and it shows every profile that is installed on the camera.

Panasonic pulled the firmware upgrade because that's easier to do than to patch and update both the iOS and Android apps. I'm guessing there will be new versions of the app coming out very soon, with the workaround disabled. 

I do wonder if the reason it's a paid upgrade isn't so much about making money but that it's tricky to use well and if they gave it to everybody there'd be lots of people saying bad things about the GH4. Hence this way they restrict it to people who might have a vague clue what they are doing...

I do like the free trial option though, as I was very 50:50 on whether to just stick with Cinelike-D. Also it looks like there are some things needing sorting in another firmware version (e.g. histograms, zebras) so they should be able to charge all the people that seriously want to use it at some point and as a bonus not leave people who don't like it feeling slightly ripped off.

Thanks. I used Cineon Log to Linear LUT, slight RGB curves adjustment. That's it. Uploading the video soon.

Hi Aaron,

I have been looking around for the Cineon to Linear LUT, would it be possible to post it up or to provide a link, thanks, your footage looks great to my eyes :) 

Edit: No worries found solution :)

Tried this test with a harsh backlight, mainly iso1000, 1250. See any noise people? I can't assess the image properly at the moment, my eyes are going funny with all the pixel peeping today 

Looks fantastic.  I was doubting the practicality of v log because all the images thus far seemed like there was too much noise to deal with, but it looks like with the right settings and lighting situations, it's fantastic.

Well I was going to buy it, but after everything I read and some of what I saw...I became doubtful and not in any rush.
But I decided to try it out since they overlooked the image app activation, and at first I was really underwhelmed, then later on I started doing some serious tests with video lights and just filming a guitar with highlights on the neck and stuff.
I reset the Zebras to 75 and 65 respectively so I can get a good exposure etc...with the 79 IRE rolloff.
I then did a ton of A/Bs with Natural, Portrait and other settings...shooting the same scene under lighting, the difference is staggering actually
V-Log has depth somehow (not talking about DOF) just the look of it, I am actually quietly blown away, it definitely has the X factor and somehow the other profiles
look a bit plastic to my eyes compared to it, it just somehow looks more organic...a lot more organic.
I did not expect it to look this much better...so far I have only used the Varicam LUT, a little bit of experimenting...not much, there is some noise in the shadows but nothing serious that neat video could not fix, personally I expected it to be a lot noisier, but it isnt if you push the exposure right...

So anyway Panasonic doing this stuff up has given me a chance to try it and I will buy it happily, before I was a bit on the fence...not now.
Images attached...yes the guitars under Port/ NAT etc...was overexposed, but even with the exact exposure the difference is vast in all areas.

3rd Image is the VLOG Cap...exact same lighting etc...

GTR3-NAT.jpg

GTR3-Port.jpg

GTR-VL+LUT.jpg

I'm about to post a mega test... to the EXTREME... lol

I wonder what people will think... one thing I think is pretty obvious though is that the v-LOG with the REC709 LUT is superior to vanilla Cinelike D. OBVIOUSLY, you can colour correct things a million ways, but even just as a starting point, the colours are a lot more accurate IMO.

EDIT: Saying that I haven't really done much work AFTER applying the LUTs; I know there's some colour banding issues, so bear that in mind, YMMV, etc.

Hi Aaron,

I have been looking around for the Cineon to Linear LUT, would it be possible to post it up or to provide a link, thanks, your footage looks great to my eyes :) 

Edit: No worries found solution :)

In Premiere/AE it's actually an effect converter instead of a 3D LUT. I know that Impulz makes a Cineon LUT if I'm not mistaken.

I tried a little more today after work. Filmed a clock on a white wall. When I tried to pull down the mids, the color bandings are showing clearly. It's quite severe. I over exposed around 0.5 stop. There's not much room to play in post due to the color banding.. Obviously the 8bit bottle is not enough for v log.. 00860941_V1-0001.thumb.png.546e5a3d7b8e3

In Premiere/AE it's actually an effect converter instead of a 3D LUT. I know that Impulz makes a Cineon LUT if I'm not mistaken.

yeah. I used it. It's not bad but I think the Arri Log C lut works better in impulse. 

I have 2 pleas: can anyone tell me if it's necessary to use an external monitor with LUT; and can anyone point me to a video on how exactly to download V2.3? I can't seem to find the bin files anywhere, just a cube file. Screen shots of the firmware upgrade V2.3 would be invaluable. I've upgraded several times at Panasonic's page, but this update is confusing as heck. Thanks in advance!

I have 2 pleas: can anyone tell me if it's necessary to use an external monitor with LUT; and can anyone point me to a video on how exactly to download V2.3? I can't seem to find the bin files anywhere, just a cube file. Screen shots of the firmware upgrade V2.3 would be invaluable. I've upgraded several times at Panasonic's page, but this update is confusing as heck. Thanks in advance!

I don't think it's necessary if you get used to LOG and how to judge exposure. Using zebras, and the exposure meter on the screen helps get a good starting point.