V-log unlocked for free!

Aragonnarun

I've seen 3rd party VLog LUTs for the GH4, where did the official one come from? (Do you mean the Varicam35 one, it's just you said GH4-specific?)

Since it's completely out of the bag as of Erik's post here's the reddit link where they talk about the zebras (plus how to enable it):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Filmmakers/comments/3l1qab/panasonic_gh4_vlogl_available_for_free_just/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There's some horrible banding/colour artefacts going on in that video (as with my graded image on previous page). I'm going to make an early call and say V-Log is a ProRes friendly profile that's a danger zone for internal shooting. 

I am going to shoot a bunch of stuff tomorrow and see what I can see... I shot a few minutes earlier, just a few, then used the v-log to 709 LUT and it wasn't absurdly noisy, or artefact-y, and the colours looked really amazing... 

But I'm sure this will all wash out one way or the other in a few days :)

From my quick test it appears I need to really ETTR. Perhaps this will also help with everyone's noise? I did a quick shot of my parrot since nobody else is here and I look like hell. ;-) BTW, this wasn't exposed to the right so it appeared really dark when I tried Cineon Converter. AaronChicago, does your footage appear dark when you add Cineon, or are my defaults out of whack?

vlog-tosh.jpg

From my quick test it appears I need to really ETTR. Perhaps this will also help with everyone's noise? I did a quick shot of my parrot since nobody else is here and I look like hell. ;-) BTW, this wasn't exposed to the right so it appeared really dark when I tried Cineon Converter. AaronChicago, does your footage appear dark when you add Cineon, or are my defaults out of whack?

vlog-tosh.jpg

hey, it shouldn't be too dark. It does need some contrast and saturation added though. If it is too dark maybe bump the exposure up a stop or two.

hey, it shouldn't be too dark. It does need some contrast and saturation added though. If it is too dark maybe bump the exposure up a stop or two.

Yeah, I didn't do much but quick and dirty exposure boost and a little saturation.

Person on reddit said to over expose half a stop/stop and it will do wonders.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking.

So... first impressions.

V-Log is pretty underwhelming to say the least. I don't know if anyone's experience was different than mine, but I'll lay it out there.

V-Log in 1080p is unusable IMO. No matter how you do it, it's got a ton of noise and banding. A very undesirable image.

V-Log in UHD/4k is good. While I can still see noise and banding, it is spread out better (likely due to the increase of pixels) to the point where it is almost unnoticeable.

My verdict as of right now is that you really need an external recorder with 10bit for V-Log to really shine, but if you expose properly, you will be happy with V-Log color in 4k.

I was very pleased with the skin tones that I get out of this camera!

I am attaching a text document with a detailed exploration of exposure with V-Log, but the short version is this...

White Clips at 75 Gray is 43 Black Clips at 11

(Working on a video to demonstrate)

Also I have attached my first version of an improved VLog-709 LUT, would love if anyone would test it out and tell me what they think, like/dislike to improve it.

Exposure Research.pdf

DM_VLOGto709_V1.zip

So... first impressions.

V-Log is pretty underwhelming to say the least. I don't know if anyone's experience was different than mine, but I'll lay it out there.

V-Log in 1080p is unusable IMO. No matter how you do it, it's got a ton of noise and banding. A very undesirable image.

V-Log in UHD/4k is good. While I can still see noise and banding, it is spread out better (likely due to the increase of pixels) to the point where it is almost unnoticeable.

My verdict as of right now is that you really need an external recorder with 10bit for V-Log to really shine, but if you expose properly, you will be happy with V-Log color in 4k.

I was very pleased with the skin tones that I get out of this camera!

I am attaching a text document with a detailed exploration of exposure with V-Log, but the short version is this...

White Clips at 75 Gray is 43 Black Clips at 11

(Working on a video to demonstrate)

Also I have attached my first version of an improved VLog-709 LUT, would love if anyone would test it out and tell me what they think, like/dislike to improve it.

Exposure Research.pdf

DM_VLOGto709_V1.zip

Did you use your gray card to get the 18% gray at 42 IRE?

Here's a Pic of the short vid I shot with v-log and film convert.

Sequence 02.Still002.jpg