V-log unlocked for free!

Aragonnarun

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I see NOISEEEE (yes in caps)

Anyone else?? 

LOTS of banding too (also in caps),

something isn't right the image tonality is too weak and compressed squished into a tiny area and when I spread it back, not enough information, just blank waveform bands.

Colours are also boosted yellow. I prefer Cine-V neutral colour channels.

Are we sure this is the paid 99$ V-LOG? Perhaps a developmental version? If some has the paid version please flick between them to see any change.

If it is V-Log, then maybe I need to wait for sunrise and test at base 400 ISO and ETTR. 

Not nearly tested enough but I have a feeling V-log needs a ninja star/2 to record 10bit HD 4:2:2 440mbps ProRes HQ. I do have a BM video-assist on pre-order for a couple of years now, maybe I'll live long enough to test V-Log on it.

Anyhow EOSHD FTW. Brings back the ML and RAW and GH2 spirit.

Do you also feel, that they should let the VLog trickle down to the other Panasonic Cameras (FZ1000, LX100, G7 and GX8) ?

They should but they will not do it seeing how they treat is in the GH4 (a professional paid license) and oon the Varicam. Best chance is having it on the next generation line (FZ2000, LX200, G8, GX9). But no It will not be offered on the existing ones.

however if anybody has one of these try opening the Panasonic app, you might find V-Log or 8K or something.

Anyone else?? 

something isn't right the image tonality is too weak and compressed squished into a tiny area and when I spread it back, not enough information, just blank waveform bands.

Are we sure this is the paid 99$ V-LOG? Perhaps a developmental version? If some has the paid version please flick between them to see any change.

If it is V-Log, then maybe I need to wait for sunrise and test at base 400 ISO and ETTR. 

Not nearly tested enough but I have a feeling V-log needs a ninja star/2 to record 10bit HD 4:2:2 440mbps ProRes HQ. I do have a BM video-assist on pre-order for a couple of years now, maybe I'll live long enough to test V-Log on it.

Anyhow EOSHD FTW. Brings back the ML and RAW and GH2 spirit.

They should but they will not do it seeing how they treat is in the GH4 (a professional paid license) and oon the Varicam. Best chance is having it on the next generation line (FZ2000, LX200, G8, GX9). But no It will not be offered on the existing ones.

however if anybody has one of these try opening the Panasonic app, you might find V-Log or 8K or something.

Log profiles generally retain way more noise in shadows than other gammas. If you prefer other profiles that's totally fine. It's all up to your workflow and personal preference anyway. In terms of this being not the actual version of the V log gamma, I hardly think that will be the case because its from their official firmware and Panasonic has already admitted that this was a mess up on their part

If I were Panasonic I'd be tempted to do a 2.4 firmware with some nice goodies in and locked-down V-Log, some of the stuff Olympus just announced for their next firmware upgrades would be nice. Giving people their money back would be tricky, but the stable door is still wide open and the Horse already in another time-zone...

dwijip - Where did Panasonic admit their mistake?

Where can I get this LUT for Final Cut Pro X?

If you have LUT Utility or Color Finale, you can use LUTS with FCPX. You can get a Cineon LUT from VisionColor through their Impulz Collection, but I think you have to get the Ultimate Package. There probably  is a solo Cineon LUT floating around the super highway but I couldn't find one after 10 pages of Google search. Ed David had a whole post on Cineon last week. 

Anyone else?? 

How are you exposing the camera? What's the dynamic range of your scene? And how are you handling the camera in post? Are you using the V-LOG LUT, or something else?

Properly exposing and grading a LOG image is tricky, so I wouldn't get too down on first impressions. 10-bit out should definitely help, though. I'm not sure the internal codec is up to encoding a LOG curve this aggressive. 

If you have LUT Utility or Color Finale, you can use LUTS with FCPX. You can get a Cineon LUT from VisionColor through their Impulz Collection, but I think you have to get the Ultimate Package. There probably  is a solo Cineon LUT floating around the super highway but I couldn't find one after 10 pages of Google search. Ed David had a whole post on Cineon last week. 

Thanks. I have the Impulz Pro package, so I am out of luck. Maybe I'll look around and see if that particular LUT maybe, you know, fell off an Internet truck.

http://store.pixelfilmstudios.com/plugin/fcpx-lut-loader

This is free for a limited time ^^^ normally $50.

If I were Panasonic I'd be tempted to do a 2.4 firmware with some nice goodies in and locked-down V-Log, some of the stuff Olympus just announced for their next firmware upgrades would be nice. Giving people their money back would be tricky, but the stable door is still wide open and the Horse already in another time-zone...

dwijip - Where did Panasonic admit their mistake?

If I were Panasonic, I would release another firmware upgrade, this time for free, but only allow it to be installed on cameras with legal free or paid firmware already on board. Then increase the cost of the paid firmware 5 fold at the same time.

That would leave the people with the hack locked out of further firmware enhancements unless they ponied up $500 :).

I understand from reddit the Histograms don't work correctly if it's on a custom setting (so that's a reason for a 2.4 firmware on its own, I assume but don't know they are okay in VLog-L). However if you set the manual video mode to VLog-L it will remember it until you change it (through power offs, etc.) and allow a different style in the still image modes.

I think the app isn't so bad, provided you remember to connect the WiFi to the camera first.

1: V-Log straight from camera (800ISO; tungsten WB).

2: Panasonic's GH4-specific 709 LUT applied

3: Curves tweaked a little in Color Finale

I'm in the same place as Ebrahim - finding it very noisy but the sun was going down when I got a chance to shoot so light was poor and ISO was up at 800 (is 400 native?). However the Panasonic LUT is currently making my V-Log footage look way better than I am managing grading from scratch. Not surprising really ...

One thing we need to know is if the histogram is calibrated properly for V-Log. Otherwise it may be necessary to set zebras at about 70% (and stay away from the left as well?). edit: dr_john just said the same :)

VLog_800ISO_tungsten.jpg

VLog_to_709_GH4_Panny.jpg

VLog_LUT_curves.jpg

Yuck I've just noticed the banding and colour artefacts on the wall in my final, graded image. They are there in the original video too. Guess it's time to start saving for a 10bit recorder!

Anyone want to buy a BMPCC so I can buy a BM Video Assist and get a high-dynamic-range, 10bit HD image out of my GH4. Wait a minute ...