Huge Olympus update, E-M1 getting 24/25p, E-M5 II get flat profile

ntblowz

If you have the time, light and skills the camera really doesn't matter.  Me, I'm often taking vids while travelling, and rigging a camera with external recorders etc just doesn't work for me most of the time.  It would be great to see the E-M1 mark ii with a robust codec like the XC10 (which I am using as my grab and go video cam).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

As a documentarian, I've totally let go of big rigging.  While I love to shoot on an Alexa, if I'm rolling through the day with a subject and need to keep a low profile, these stabilized M43 cams are just so incredibly practical.  No, the IQ isn't as perfect as other cameras.  But, as seen above, it doesn't really need to be.  Shoot wise and your footage will look great.

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

As a documentarian, I've totally let go of big rigging.  While I love to shoot on an Alexa, if I'm rolling through the day with a subject and need to keep a low profile, these stabilized M43 cams are just so incredibly practical.  No, the IQ isn't as perfect as other cameras.  But, as seen above, it doesn't really need to be.  Shoot wise and your footage will look great.

I bet Olympus will be able to make the stabilization just a little better with the EM1 mkii. Imagine a camera with their stabilization combined with Canon's dual pixel autofocus. It would be an incredible tool for documentarians wanting to use a small form factor. 

2 hours ago, Flynn said:

I bet Olympus will be able to make the stabilization just a little better with the EM1 mkii. Imagine a camera with their stabilization combined with Canon's dual pixel autofocus. It would be an incredible tool for documentarians wanting to use a small form factor. 

Amen to that.  Include 4k for a little post-cropping and things just keep getting better.  Fun times.

4 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Amen to that.  Include 4k for a little post-cropping and things just keep getting better.  Fun times.

Yeah, Olympus is definitely moving in the right direction, and all of this proves the salient point you have made numerous times before... It's amazing what these consumer cameras can do in the right hands. 

4 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Would be cool if they'd include trackmapping as well. I found the following rather interesting: http://petapixel.com/2016/08/11/sd-card-built-gyro-sensor-stabilize-shots/ ! Something like that must then come out crazy smooth! :grin:

Olympus is actually quite innovative with functionality like live time, live composite, high-res mode.  I'm interested in what they will come up with.

If 43rumours are right they will have a fast read 4K sensor in the Em-1ii that should have little rolling shutter.  If they just improve their internal codec a bit to get closer to Panasonic...

People complain about the Olympus menus but I like how you can tweak anything and there are enough function buttons for needed features. The one touch WB is also handy.

That being said, I've really enjoyed shooting with my gx80 this summer. The dual stabilisation (with even the 100-400 that I borrowed) is fantastic.

On 8/12/2016 at 7:55 AM, Inazuma said:

The 5 axis gives more of a weighty shoulder camera feel than a general optical stabilised lens seems to :)

How is he getting such shallow DOF with that 12mm f2??

Hi, thanks for the feedback.  I had some Zeiss MK3 Superspeeds that are T1.3.  Perhaps you're thinking of those ?  If you have specific shots you want to know about I can probably remember what I was doing.

Thanks again.

JB

On 8/13/2016 at 8:07 AM, sgreszcz said:

People complain about the Olympus menus but I like how you can tweak anything and there are enough function buttons for needed features. The one touch WB is also handy.

I agree, I think the Olympus cameras are highly customizable, once you spend the time to set them up and understand them.

JB

On 8/13/2016 at 8:15 PM, Flynn said:

One thing that's not well know is that there IS a difference in the construction of the IS between the various bodies (some are magentic and fully float)  The EM5II is the most advanced of all the current bodies :-)

JB