Huge Olympus update, E-M1 getting 24/25p, E-M5 II get flat profile

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Why would you go with the EM1? The EM5ii is the more video focused of the two. Also, if you could hold off I'd wait to see if they come out with a new sensor for the EM1ii.

E-M1 seems to have less moire/aliasing than E-M5 II since it uses GH4 sensor, even though bitrate is not high.  The sensor on E-M5 II is the same as E-M5 which is not really for video..

But E-M5 II with flat profile would be easier for color matching/grading though, with E-M1 have that too

Incorrect. The GH4 sensor doesn't have phase detection AF points on it. We know Panasonic fabricated the sensor, but it isn't the same as the sensor in any other Panasonic camera.

The MN34231 in the E-M1 is a variation of the GH4's MN34230 chip, even though on die itching it said MN34230 on the E-M1 sensor, but the rest of the spec should be the same (4K capable, high speed recording)

John Brawley said Olympus told him that beginning with the EM5ii they intended for it to be the more video focused of their cameras and the EM1 more for serious photographers. If you look at the recent firmware updates, with EM5ii getting the flat profile, that seems to be the case. Maybe it'll change with the EM1ii, especially if it gets a new sensor, but right now, I'd go EM5ii.

E-M1 seems to have less moire/aliasing than E-M5 II since it uses GH4 sensor, even though bitrate is not high.  The sensor on E-M5 II is the same as E-M5 which is not really for video..

Not true. I have done extensive tests and they have the same moire/aliasing. 

John Brawley said Olympus told him that beginning with the EM5ii they intended for it to be the more video focused of their cameras and the EM1 more for serious photographers. If you look at the recent firmware updates, with EM5ii getting the flat profile, that seems to be the case. Maybe it'll change with the EM1ii, especially if it gets a new sensor, but right now, I'd go EM5ii.

Yep, after having both if your main interest is video I would go with the E-M5ii. Higher bitrate, flat profile, better ibis, peaking during video, fully articulating screen. 

I'd like to see more frequent firmware offerings to make the em5ii more ergo friendly for video shooting.  

Those kinds of software updates are easy to create.

The fact that I can't simultaneously program control of ISO or shutter speed or frame rate to the two rotating dials on top the camera bugs me. 

Right now, from what I've been able to figure out, it's only ISO and white balance together...not ideal for exposing video IMHO.  I'd like to have those two things side by side.

Just more freedom to program anything to function buttons would be appreciated.

Also, you can't control exposure with knobs when shooting, which is unfortunate.  I don't run into the need to change during a shot much, but when I want to and can't it's annoying. 

You actually can change ISO values when shooting, but only through the touchscreen menu.  Meh. Worthless for trying to keep a shot going while you're poking the camera body with your finger  

But again, all things that firmware could easily tackle. Hope Oly is more assertive than other companies in this regard. 

The MN34231 in the E-M1 is a variation of the GH4's MN34230 chip, even though on die itching it said MN34230 on the E-M1 sensor, but the rest of the spec should be the same (4K capable, high speed recording)

Haha, clearly you've dug more into this than me! That's interesting. I guess it goes to show how far ahead Panasonic is on the video processing front.

You actually can change ISO values when shooting, but only through the touchscreen menu.  Meh. Worthless for trying to keep a shot going while you're poking the camera body with your finger  

From what I remember if you leave the "fast menu" at the ISO setting then you can activate it by the center button and use the dial to change the ISO. No need to touch the LCD. 

From what I remember if you leave the "fast menu" at the ISO setting then you can activate it by the center button and use the dial to change the ISO. No need to touch the LCD. 

Yes, this is true, but one is still poking at the body of the camera rather than turning one of the knobs after activating a function key.  For me, using the knobs and have them dedicated would be preferred during actual shooting. 

A little more customization options with a firmware upgrade would be nice. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, sorry for my bad english.

Excellent news for EM1 users like me!

I own an EM1 almost exlusively for video use, mostly shoot weddings. Must be one of a kind here in Greece using this camera, everyone is asking about it using mostly Canon and Sony gear. 

I bought it earlier this year, when EM5-II had just come in stores. Reasons.

1) Battery grip is 1 piece, great handling.

2)Price. It cost me 1000 euros with grip, where em5-ii would cost about 400-500 more with grip.

3)I like the warm colors straight out of this camera, we mostly have low-medium budget  weddings where color grading in davinci etc is out of question most times. Also own an 70D, needs work in post, where em1's footage is fine , i also use shadwos - highlights curve in camera to adjust prefered tones.

4) I can use my zuiko 14-54 II for video work as AF i usable in video (pre-focus only) in difficult situations like daylight. A great budget water resistant lens with good range and very smooth focus ring.

5) As my wife is a wedding photographer, twice i worked as 2nd shooter. EM1 was decent in this area with good DR.

6)This 5 axis stabilization is amazing, don't need tripods, sliders etc any more. A monopod is enough. Most times i am a 1 man crew, so this is indispensable.

7) Excellent stability, during Greek summer temps can go as high as 40 C and camera is rock solid. Magnesium body acts as big heatsink, camera gets hot but never stops recording.

Main drawback is lack of audio monitoring, however i can see that with new firmware maybe i could buy the Olympus recorder and sync sound in post.

I am considering trying an em5-ii in future, mostly for even better stabilization and audio out. However i just can't find anyone have it and use it for video work.

Here is a clip i uploaded today. I mosly use vimeo, but only 720p, so I give you the youtube link in 1080p.

Climbing in those mountains in Icaria Island was difficult and definitely heavy gear was out of question. Even used my compact manfrotto as climbing stick...LIttle Olympus made those shots possible. I am so happy.

Everything is straight out of camera, no color grading, only a bit contrast added in Sony Movie Studio. Only a compact monopod used in some scenes and a bit software stabilization (etc where my walking along the rope towards the tower). 1st scene in airplane is from my wife's canon, she would not allow me sit near the window :-). Couldn't stabilize it effectively in post so it is the only shaky part in this clip....

• 9 months later...

Lovely stuff indeed! That's why I like DigitalREV's Pro Photographer Cheap Camera Challenge. If you've got what it takes, you don't really have to nitpick the gear you're shooting with. You just do it. You're not using a RED/ARRI? Who cares? A camera in itself isn't going to get the job done anyways. But of course, you do need that shear talent, vision and drive. But then again, as the Baldessarini slogan would have it, that's what 'separates the men from the boys'. Respect.

48 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

The 5 axis gives more of a weighty shoulder camera feel than a general optical stabilised lens seems to :)

How is he getting such shallow DOF with that 12mm f2??

Olympus ibis is nice. As far as the dof... I assume he's shooting wide open with an ND filter and is getting close to his subject.