Huge Olympus update, E-M1 getting 24/25p, E-M5 II get flat profile

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Since I'm a hybrid shooter, this is very interesting to me. The EM5ii, is starting to look like a viable option for me now. I just wish they could add at least some time limited 4K, maybe like Panasonic did with LX100. Obviously this would be very useful for filming in certain scenarios, but also a 4K photo mode would be very welcome.

Simon  MarcoSartoriPhoto  7 months ago

1. They are a foto company and so they havent enough videodeveloping engeneers. Since 1 year they have some more vidoe developer . result : EM 5 II.

2. It is a problem of their contract with Panasonic. The Sensor of the EM-1 can do more Video rates ( also 4K) but Olympus ist not permitted to bring

the results. As far as he knows the contract limitation was for 2 years. EM 1 enter the market in September 2013 so in September 2015 Olympus could bring a videoupdate with allowens of Pana.

i hope they do it

Looks like that Simon guy is right, the contract limitation expires this month so Olympus can do whatever it wants with E-M1 in terms of video capabilities.. though not sure if they gonna bring 4k or leave that for E-M1 II

Looks like that Simon guy is right, the contract limitation expires this month so Olympus can do whatever it wants with E-M1 in terms of video capabilities.. though not sure if they gonna bring 4k or leave that for E-M1 II

Unfortunately for us, now it makes sense to wait for E-M1 II before they add any 4K. 

Shame the updates are at least 1-2 years too late!

Better late than never! With the focus stacking for macro photography and 24/25p it get my interest again, since e-m1 is so much more affordable now! Beside it uses GH4 sensor no wonder video quality is better than E-M5 II's Sony sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about that, Andrew. I think enough of us are hung up on 5-axis IBIS to pick up an E-M1 or E-M5II just for handheld/moving shots. And event shooting? Imagine being able to walk around a wedding with nothing but the camera and an Olympus 45mm and get beautiful, stable footage. You can always use a Panasonic for the more demanding wide shots.

I do have a lot of fun shooting with my em5ii, but I'd like it even more with 4k. 

Its always something. 

One day soon though we'll have great 5-axis with 15 stops of DR and great low-light capabilities. 

Not this year, but not far off either. 

Did you see the story at 43 Rumors about the global shutter sensor Olympus is working on- supposed to have much better dynamic range and low light capabilities as well. 

Here's the link. They wonder if it will be in the EMii. http://www.43rumors.com/is-this-the-new-e-m1ii-sensor-detailed-info-about-the-new-16mp-stacked-olympus-global-shutter-sensor/

I don't know about that, Andrew. I think enough of us are hung up on 5-axis IBIS to pick up an E-M1 or E-M5II just for handheld/moving shots. And event shooting? Imagine being able to walk around a wedding with nothing but the camera and an Olympus 45mm and get beautiful, stable footage. You can always use a Panasonic for the more demanding wide shots.

that's what I've done. Lx100 for wide and the em5ii with Panasonic 35-100/2.8 for long. The picture is great. I just have to spend some time trying to get them to match...

The E-M1 didn't have a that terrible quality when it came out. Just quite limiting functionality and by now... nearing 2016 quality wise just quite significantly behind what others are throwing out. The E-M5II may have a couple of new additions such as the vari-angle display, grip with headphone jack, flexible frame rate options and a flat profile for example, but in the end it's not leaps ahead of the E-M1.

Equipping the E-M1 might redeem some of its usefulness as Olympus is still the only M43 to pull off sensor stabilization during video recording. And as long as Panasonic will fail to give in and do the same, there might still be some interesting things to come from Olympus yet, especially when you think sensor tech and processing is rapidly improving and soon 4K will be a standard feature on cameras. Might not be top dog, but very reasonable still.

I can imagine going with an almost exclusively Olympus kit. When not going for a special stylized look/character, I'd be happy enough with the three f/2.8 PRO zooms: 7-14, 12-40 & 40-150mm (with extender). Ok, you might want to throw in one of their primes... the 12mm f/2, perhaps the f/1.8 17mm, 25mm, 45mm and/or 75mm. Could even throw in the 60mm f/2.8 macro as a specialty lens. Admittedly Olympus has some of the greatest modern optics around. It's hard to really fault their lenses. They're almost always razor sharp where they need to be and render quite beautifully. Together with the sensor stabilized Olympus bodies a great combination, with great colors as well.

That's kind of my thing with Sony or Samsung. I'm not really that into their native lens line-up and I like the compact form factor as an option to keep it small (and rather rig it up when really needed). If Panasonic remains too scared to do sensor stabilization during video because of some treaties signed with Olympus and Olympus not keeping up with the current video standard then I only see a future with Sony. They've already shown capable of keeping up and going forward with their efforts on the RX100-, RX10- and A7x-lines. The A5100/A6000 not too bad either of course, but I don't think they expected those would hit it off so much with us video folks. Next gen might take that into a bit more consideration. I think APS-C might be the best compromise of performance/compact/value(price) too. If they'd give us a A7RII lite... with 'lite' as in: APS-C sensor, then I'd be a happy camper.

But until that happens... being invested in the M43 system already, loving the compact form factor and overall value... when you're looking for sensor stabilization, Olympus is up there as the no.1 pick. Great with native glass and awesome for third party lenses... vintage... cinema... anything really. Keeping things really light and simple, there's a reason why some people choose it over a camera that has the upper hand when it comes down to image quality and functionality. But I guess it's always a game of 'pick your poison'.

Would be curious to know why it would take them to end of November for the roll out...