NX1 - Sigma 18-35 F1.8 EF, stuck at F4.0?

Brian S

I just got the NX1 so I am trying to learn a bit here and there. I have a NX lens on order, but just using the NX1 manually with my EF lenses so far.  It was my understanding that when using a NX to EF adapter, the EF lens will be wide open at the lowest aperture for that particular lens. So i have a few EF lenses. 1. Sigma 18-35 F1.8, Canon 24-105 F4, and a Tokina 11-16 F2.8. I have been doing some low light tests and with the Sigma, the shots are just turning out way to dark and just don't seem right for a F1.8, ISO 400, 1/60 setting in a typical living room type setting. It seems as though my Sigma is sort of stuck at F4.0. Again, sorry if i am just confused, but if I was to first put my Canon 24-105 F4 on and then put my Sigma F1.8 on, does the NX1 think the Canon is still on and using the F4 of the Canon?

I did a quick test with a Sony RX100 point and shoot.

Sony RX100, F4.0, ISO 400, Shutter 1/60 and the photo turns out the same as my NX1 with ISO 400 and 1/60th, but since i am using the Sigma F1.8, it should be 3 stops different.

Not sure what the deal is, if someone could point me in the right direction. I unfortunately do not have a Canon DSLR to put the Canon lenses on right now. Only my NX1 and Sony RX100.

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Erm. I take the EF to NX adapter is a dummy one (not a smart one, so without electronics?). This is THE reason I go with Nikon mount lenses. The aperture is mechanically controlled, thus you can use an adapter with very simple mechanical control ring. With EF lenses, you NEED that electronic control... as EF mount lenses, incl, the EF Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 do not have a manual aperture ring or mechanical link. If you don't, it just sticks to whatever it's last set to with through the electronic control of your electronic adapter of Canon body. So yes, it's possible that it's at f/4. Get a Canon body to change it to f/1.8. Not sure if there's such a thing as a smart adapter. Again: Nikon mounts would be stellar here. Unless you could in fact go for a smart adapter and benefit from possible electronic control of aperture and focus system as well as optical image stabilization, which could later also be adapter to Blackmagic EF mount cameras for example. But that's up to you.

Yeah, it's just a dummy adapter. They do not make a smart adapter for the NX1. I would have no problem going to Nikon lenses, but I have EF lenses already so sort of stuck with these for now. Fotodiox makes a dummy adapter that has an aperture dial for $79 so i might get that. I do have a nice Samsung NX lens coming in tomorrow which i will primarily use. Just testing right now. I guess i need to just find a Canon body and change it back to F1.8. I just sold my BMCC EF camera. Way to much of a hassle with more of a run gun style of shooting that i need to do sometimes. Plus i needed photos as well. I don't have time to set up with being a 1 man crew a lot of the times.