GH4 Kowa bell and howell

Visual Amco

Hey,

I have a kowa bell and howell on my nokton voigtlander 42,5mm 0.95 mounted. Fstop was 4. But my image isnt really that sharp. (link 2100ygz.jpg)

I expected it too be less sharp, but this is really unsharp. Did I misfocus, tried several things, like moving the focus around? Should I bump up sharpness in camera?

The image was shot in low light at iso 1600 hence the noise.

Any tips??

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Try to focus without the anamorphic lens, then screw on the kowa without changing focus, then focus the kowa. If you get it perfectly sharp you will know it's you.

Also remember that there is a minimum focus distance (1meter?) and that F4 is way to low for that kind of light (but there is something wrong with focus for shure)

Thanks a Lot, Will give it a try. 

Yeah I know, but 2.8 was even more unsharp. So I figured ill turn it down.
I used the vid atlentic clamp. Could it be possible that I mounted it wrongly or something? Also how do you guys protect your lenses? As When I screw the anamorphot down, the bolts that hold the anamorphot are scratching the anamorphot. Ah I read somewhere that I should replace the bolts with nylon bolts. Will give that a try.

Thanks!

Most probably because of the double focus.. I've experienced it before. The aperture should not affect the sharpness that much.

1. try to keep your Nokton on the same axis with your Kowa BH

2. try to estimate the distance from the camera and the focus point and then focus your Kowa based on this. 

Use a tape measure to get the distance - sounds obvious, but when starting out with a dual focus lens doing things properly will pay off in the end & save you time. Once you set your taking lens & the Kowa to the measured distance, then tweek both lenses until its sharp - when its sharp the picture should pop.

Could also be your choice of lens - anamorphics can play up with certain lenses.

They have been kind enough to reply to me: 

We do have a clamp that's sort of an in between this clamp and the XL Clamp that would fit better. The thread mounting size is 72mm though, so you'd need step up rings. Would you like to try this clamp instead?

I Would like to try one I think, or do you think it is a bad idea because there will be again more space because I need another step up ring? Do you guys use a lot of step up rings?

Thanks!