FOLLOW FOCUS ON A BUDGET - SUGGESTIONS PLEASE?

Junior

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I didn't know that the theme of a video would help to find a FF…

It doesn't necessarily, but i if you're doing something staged like narrative, size & form factor might not be as big a deal as if you were shooting something where the camera rig had to be more light & nimble, like a documentary or event coverage.

I use an el cheapo Fotga DP3000 follow focus.  There are better products out there, but it is small, reasonably sturdy and fit my budget,

Cheers,

|. . | .|

Alright, thanks Boldy!

I think it would be more "on the shoulder fiction", dialogs but with a "run & gun" docu style.

I was lookings at RJ, Fotga, and Camtree. (D/Focus too but it's already more expensive…)

I don't know if somebody already tried those different FF: which one would have less play?

I'm looking for hard stops solutions if possible at this price.

Thanks!

Good topic. Been looking myself. I have using the Focus Module and my cheap FF is too weak to spin that giant ass lens. 

The Fotga DP500s looks like the best budget FF, but I came came across the Lensse FF. A hundred bucks more but looks nice. Here: http://www.lensse.com/lensse-s5-dual-follow-focus/

Don't know anyone who has tried this one. Would like to see some reviews or hear feed back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
9 hours ago, Policar said:

Surprisingly good, yeah. Not the best build quality, won't last, but while it does it's surprisingly good.

Thanks for your reply! Have you tried it or what experience do you have with it? 

It's the same price range as a FOTGA DP3000 so I'm not sure with which one should I go. Your opinions are now very welcome! Thank you!

13 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

Thanks for your reply! Have you tried it or what experience do you have with it? 

It's the same price range as a FOTGA DP3000 so I'm not sure with which one should I go. Your opinions are now very welcome! Thank you!

I've only tried the Fotga DP 500 II S. It seemed to work similarly well to high end compact units (Arri and O'Connor) for most lenses, very little backlash and and no play. But it fell apart a bit over time. For the price I think it's about as good as you'll get. I haven't tried the cheaper one. I recently switched to the DJI Wireless Focus, so haven't used anything too new.