Ursa mini 4k footage

Volker Schmidt

Nothing against folks who shoot weddings (a paycheck's a paycheck) but the couples who participate in these things for their special day are absolutely mad. 
"Stare into each other's eyes and nuzzle your noses together while I get the exposure right" would have me and my partner bursting into laughter.

"Next up, please do a pretend marital fall-n-catch and then have a snog" would be the final straw.

I did a lot of weddings. You may detest them, but you hardly find better occasions to test your equipment and your skills - as well as videographer as as storyteller. A wedding is as good a proof of a camera's strengths and shortcomings as any image video or fictional short, imo.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I did a lot of weddings. You may detest them, but you hardly find better occasions to test your equipment and your skills - as well as videographer as as storyteller. A wedding is as good a proof of a camera's strengths and shortcomings as any image video or fictional short, imo.

As I said, nothing against the folks who shoot them. Great source of income, plus a lot of them are beautifully made.

As an average Joe, I just can't ever imagine wanting one.

Nothing against folks who shoot weddings (a paycheck's a paycheck) but the couples who participate in these things for their special day are absolutely mad. 
"Stare into each other's eyes and nuzzle your noses together while I get the exposure right" would have me and my partner bursting into laughter.

"Next up, please do a pretend marital fall-n-catch and then have a snog" would be the final straw.

I do weddings and I am with you there, I really don't like doing posed and stage stuff like that. Usually the photographer will do stuff like that and you'll catch it, but even though it feels more like a document of the day rather than you trying to create a movie. 

You can see clearly that it's graded. It's a very tasteful teal/cyan grading. I'm curious if he used Resolve.

I doubt it.  He probably just slapped on a lut. He seems in denial that it's even teal/cyan and orange on annother forum. Which is never tastefull in my subjective opinion. If the colour tinge was dialled down, everything would be hunky dory.

I doubt it.  He probably just slapped on a lut. He seems in denial that it's even teal/cyan and orange on annother forum. Which is never tastefull in my subjective opinion. If the colour tinge was dialled down, everything would be hunky dory.

You are right. I wrote 'tasteful teal/cyan' (it should have read orange/teal of course) because it isn't Transformers. I think most of the enthusiastic reactions to the clip come from the two things a subtle o/t grading does:

1. the image looks balanced, harmonic.

2. the image looks clear because it's the highest hue contrast combined with luma contrast possible without looking outright wrong.

But even if a lut can do wonders, my own experience with ProRes of the Pocket tells me that you always need to apply corrections, if only for gamma. Our Mr Wedding may be a laughing stock and make embarrassingly cheesy videos, but he must be brashly clever, if he did nothing but produced such nice images.

So maybe everybody else makes too big a fuss about grading, log, finding the right profiles, ask for the right workflows. All you need is the right lut ...

Footage looks great and both Ursa minis sound as very promising cameras that will establish BM. But I am sure it takes more than the camera to come up with a footage like that. I wonder if you could deliver something like that with a A7s and how much more effort it would take.

Here is some further info from the people that shot the two wedding clips: 

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/09/everything-you-wanted-know-about-working-blackmagic-ursa-mini

Footage looks great and both Ursa minis sound as very promising cameras that will establish BM. But I am sure it takes more than the camera to come up with a footage like that. I wonder if you could deliver something like that with a A7s and how much more effort it would take.

Funny, I am trying to get the answer for the exact same question.

First of all, resolution. The A7s' resolution is fine. I can further improve it with the Shogun, but as I wrote, the resolution should suffice.

Then the colors and gradability. The colors are few (8-bit). In theory, the A7s can depict almost 15 stops, more than even the 4,6 Ursa Mini. But only at the native ISO of 3200 (that's why this is the default ISO for S-Log). 

S-Log fits to landscapes, but imo not for skintones (too few to make them look alive). So until further experiences, I stick to autumn leaves then, shoot only at ISO 3200, use only WB 3200, 5600 and 6500. I need to buy fixed ND filters, because with such high ISO, ND faders all destroy the colors.

I'm not finished with my evaluation, these are my initial findings. I hope I can get close to this look ...