Great article

wolf33d

http://admiringlight.com/blog/the-sliding-scale-of-camera-capabilities/

That applies 100% to video. 

Interesting to see how Canon was a killer, democratizing the industry for stills and then for video (5D2) by releasing affordable devices with pro features. 
Such a shame it is not the case anymore. What changed at Canon? 

All of this because of their Cine line :(  I hate it, and hate all of you who are buying C100, C300, C500 that make money to Canon and make them cripple the 7Ds/5Ds bodies for us non professional ... 
Without this Cine line, we would get a 5D4 with 4K with great bitrate and Canon Log - DPAF and so on.......

I still think 5D4 will have 4K unlike many of you (don't imagine how a body can come in 2016 without 4K, that would be non imaginable) when even iPhones get 4K. 
But it will probably a 5D3 like video, which means not clean, poor bitrate, no HFR, ...

Anyway. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Perhaps the $500 differential between the C100 and the 5D3 is too much?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889545-REG/Canon_EOS_C100_EF_Cinema.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847545-REG/Canon_5260A002_EOS_5D_Mark_III.html

It has been mentioned on this site that buying the new new thing is a costly enterprise.

Canon has a Cine line for the pros who cannot tolerate overheating color issues and batteries that last for a shorter time than most sound bites. I imagine that

they do not think saddling their customers with poorly executed solutions and expecting them to pay again for the next rendition is a great business model.

Not defending them just stepping away from all the technologic advances that cost you much more over time.

Bob

4k 4k 4k Why is everybody so obsessed with this??? You think it will make you or your videos better?? All it will do is make you spend 4k€ on a computer that will make everything work smooth. 4k is a consumer thing for now...I will take a clean, flat moire and aliasing free prores footage with actual usable 10 stops of DR for the next 2 years at least over any kind of 4k. 

I found it interesting when I learned that Canon actually didn't really foresee that including video in a dslr was going to take off that the way it did. In other words they were not planning for it, it just sort of happened. And they made a mint on it. I think this reflects on why they never really pumped up dslr video specs, aside from the 1Dc.

4k 4k 4k Why is everybody so obsessed with this??? You think it will make you or your videos better?? All it will do is make you spend 4k€ on a computer that will make everything work smooth. 4k is a consumer thing for now...I will take a clean, flat moire and aliasing free prores footage with actual usable 10 stops of DR for the next 2 years at least over any kind of 4k. 

Right.

Explain now to the consumer who spent some hundred bucks today on that brand new 4K display in the place of the great grandparents' crucifix in the Catholic family's living room (choose the Bible to Orthodoxes, Pentecostals, Baptists, Adventists and so on, other sacred books to other confessions): resolution... who cares?!

- Emanuel

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?340174-new-4K-iPhone-6s-can-edit-4K-video-in-iMovie-on-the-phone&p=1986574974&viewfull=1#post1986574974

It has been mentioned on this site that buying the new new thing is a costly enterprise.

Canon has a Cine line for the pros who cannot tolerate overheating color issues and batteries that last for a shorter time than most sound bites. I imagine that

they do not think saddling their customers with poorly executed solutions and expecting them to pay again for the next rendition is a great business model.

Neither does Panasonic...

I found the article to be long, rambling and confused. There is no clear idea stated in the intro, and the conclusion mentions a bunch of cameras not even dicussed in the body paragraphs. And it is unclear exactly what 'sliding scale' refers to. 

Right.

Explain now to the consumer who spent some hundred bucks today on that brand new 4K display in the place of the great grandparents' crucifix in the Catholic family's living room (choose the Bible to Orthodoxes, Pentecostals, Baptists, Adventists and so on, other sacred books to other confessions): resolution... who cares?!

- Emanuel

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?340174-new-4K-iPhone-6s-can-edit-4K-video-in-iMovie-on-the-phone&p=1986574974&viewfull=1#post1986574974

what have the bible and crucifix got anything at all to do with this discussion?

And most of the industry. https://vimeo.com/106153701

Seriously dude, let it go. 4K is nice to have, not need to have. Compression, color depth, bit depth, DR, and color science matter much more.

Should I call you dude too?

Very well... hey dude, no clue on your age but something I can tell you even if this can sound too harsh. No pun intended. I am used to eat cinematographers at breakfast. For twenty years now.

:-)

Should I call you dude too?

Very well... hey dude, no clue on your age but something I can tell you even if this can sound too harsh. No pun intended. I am used to eat cinematographers at breakfast. For twenty years now.

:-)

Oh, are we dissecting each other's sentences now? "I am used to eat cinematographers at breakfast" isn't English. "For twenty years now." isn't a sentence. 

Being in the industry for 20 years doesn't make you the single credible authority on cinematography. And if you were that big a deal, I doubt you'd hang out on EOSHD. 

Oh, are we dissecting each other's sentences now? "I am used to eat cinematographers at breakfast" isn't English. "For twenty years now." isn't a sentence. 
Being in the industry for 20 years doesn't make you the single credible authority on cinematography. And if you were that big a deal, I doubt you'd hang out on EOSHD. 

Mate, so you decide to be my tutor and correct my nonstandard English? LOL C'mon, give a break to your own sanity for your own sake. Yes, it happens people to have some other mother tongue. Your point is? I guess I've just started to repeat myself. We had crossed each other in some other thread earlier today, isn't it? Let me see, the discussion let you move it to here?! ;-) For the sake of your spontaneous invectives, who wrote "the single credible authority on cinematography"?? You : P And don't be disrespectful with EOSHD or you are with every single member used to post here. Go figure if someone would dare to subjectively criticize your own. Ad hominem atacks are a very dirty sport to begin with. They tell a lot about the quality of the man behind an alias. My name and background is in my signature. Yours? Who is the man I have now the commission to chat with? Be a gentleman to this community and reach me on my PM box. You can try to send your message in my native language in order to clear up the things a little bit to me... haha

OUCH. What a bunch of losers we all are.

I didn't mean it like that. But it's not like Chris Nolan and Spielberg are going to hang out on EOSHD. They're just not the market. We're indie guys, event shooters, corporate shooters, hobbyists, and the like. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think there's a lot of high-end cinema shooters here. You might count Ed David, but he barely posts here anyway. 

Mate, so you decide to be my tutor and correct my nonstandard English? LOL C'mon, give a break to your own sanity for your own sake. Yes, it happens people to have some other mother tongue. Your point is? I guess I've just started to repeat myself. We had crossed each other in some other thread earlier today, isn't it? Let me see, the discussion let you move it to here?! ;-) For the sake of your spontaneous invectives, who wrote "the single credible authority on cinematography"?? You : P And don't be disrespectful with EOSHD or you are with every single member used to post here. Go figure if someone would dare to subjectively criticize your own. Ad hominem atacks are a very dirty sport to begin with. They tell a lot about the quality of the man behind an alias. My name and background is in my signature. Yours? Who is the man I have now the commission to chat with? Be a gentleman to this community and reach me on my PM box. You can try to send your message in my native language in order to clear up the things a little bit to me... haha

Wow, alright. I didn't know English was your second language. I was simply responding to your criticizing me for using "dude."

I'm also not trying to attack you. I disagree with your assertion that 4:2:2 is more important than 8-bit, and that 4K doesn't matter as much as other factors. You've gotten very emotional about both problems and responded not with a compelling argument supporting your claim, but with a flawed test, baseless assertions, and a holier than thou "I eat professional cinematographers for breakfast" attitude I find unwelcome and unhelpful to the conversation at hand. It might help if you state your opinion in a way that leaves room for dissent without denigrating others for it. A collegiate atmosphere, in my experience, does a lot to improve the approach-ability and level of discourse of a forum.