Is Red about to release an affordable camera?

Flynn

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd rather get the camera in the hands of more people which inevitably means more creative content that will show off the technology rather than the community be a bunch of stuck-up entitled assholes who think they're better than everyone else.

PS.  I drive a 911 and I think Caymans and Boxsters are great cars and they don't "dilute" the Porsche brand.  

High-and-mighty people ruin it for owner communities.  

We're about to see a lot shitty red footage, then.... (not that reduser isn't already full of it).

The GH4/C100/A7S etc. are already capable enough in good hands and much easier to use and light for and operate. They are SHOCKINGLY close to the high end until you really push things far beyond what anyone here is shooting, anyway. Red is nice on the high end, but what they do well doesn't benefit those without the money (in post and in lighting and camera support) to make it workable. The camera is not very workable for a single operator, is a light hog, tricky in post to get the most of, etc. 

And even the Alexa is affordable as a rental. Ever noticed that the most expensive cameras have the best looking footage? It's not because of the camera, it's often because of the cost preventing incompetent people from getting their hands on it. To a point. Lots of rich incompetent people, too, though they also have money to hire decent crew.

Nice car, though. 

Yeah - sounds like you are talking about RED! ;)

a picture is worth a thousand words, see at 2:35. No pixel peeping here, the difference between footage you can't even use and one that you actually can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI1ax3oxaBc&list=PLS2LAanbn_vVXv1u_UtgcJVychnEWi9zG

And there really isn't any point in arguing how much more industry proven and feature film used the reds are over the bm. It's not even comparable.

And again I am no blackmagic hater, will be very happy to buy from them as soon as they are reliable.

Interesting stuff, just cannot see any way this will be "4K4All" .... I think RED have set themselves up for another 3k for $3K moment, when you consider the "4K4All" that Lumix and Samsung (Sony and Blackmagic too, to a lesser extent) are offering.

This is interesting. 

If this is indeed "4K4All".... I think they might mean, "4k for all professional filmmakers from RED". I'm expecting it will be at least double the price of the URSA Mini 4.6k for the body. Blackmagic prices are ridiculously low but it's a strategy that pays off being a new camera manufacturer. 

4k @ 120fps is a great spec and is massively future proof, so I'll be interested to hear the rest!

It's a very strange hashtag to be throwing about.

The most vocal part of the industry (online, at least) seems to be the people who want the most, for the least money.... Getting the hopes of this section of the market up has already burnt them once.

Hashtag aside.... I imagine the price for a basic setup will go directly up against the C300 mk II though, much like Scarlet did with the C300.

a picture is worth a thousand words, see at 2:35. No pixel peeping here, the difference between footage you can't even use and one that you actually can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI1ax3oxaBc&list=PLS2LAanbn_vVXv1u_UtgcJVychnEWi9zG

And there really isn't any point in arguing how much more industry proven and feature film used the reds are over the bm. It's not even comparable.

And again I am no blackmagic hater, will be very happy to buy from them as soon as they are reliable.

Hey - I'm no Blackmagic lover, but even I can see that if you expose your shots properly both cameras are entirely usable. All cameras have their flaws, and let's be real - the Epic is (or was) $30k just for the brain versus the URSA which is what - $6k? (can't keep up with BM's pricing these days) So you'd hope there's going to be a difference.

All I'm saying is - despite the fact that REDs have been used on countless high end productions over the past 8 years, it's not like the REDs are flawless. RED have suffered immensely from corrupt files, camera crashes, high amounts of noise (especially early releases of Dragon), and overall unreliability - not to mention overheating and the noisy fan, boot up times on the RED One, buggy firmware releases etc. etc.

I once ACd on a RED that had to be re-booted about every 3 hours because it would just shit itself. Then there's the REDs that wouldn't boot up unless you plugged the VF Lemo cable in, pressed the red button, pulled it out, pressed the red button again, and then plugged it back in...

You can get great images out of a RED, and many of its bugs have been ironed out over firmware and hardware upgrades... But to suggest that it hasn't had its problems is disingenuous - especially when they've been out in the wild for about 8 years... unlike BM

I would LOVE for the Ursa mini 4.6k to be a great camera and I would buy it if that is the case.

However I keep reading over and over again complaints about corrupt files, camera crashes, fixed pattern noise unusable images, and overall unreliability of the bm cameras that I have zero expectations.

Now we are talking red, industry proven cameras with amazing R3D format, yes the accessories will be expensive, but they might actually deliver a reliable workhouse in the price range that blackmagic has over hyped and failed over and over again due to severe issues on all models.

Like you guys said it will come down to what an actual working package will cost, but this is seriously interesting news.

LOL LOL LOL 

anybody who doesn't think RED has their own mountain of issues and reliability problems is disillusioned 

BMD in 2015 as a rock solid proven workhorse is I reckon ahead of where RED was in many of their early years (or even, now arguably)

Nothing about that looks cheap/budget.

Can't see a shooting package coming in any less than $10k (probably about the same as Ursa Mini, when totalled up).

RED usually start the hype machine when they know something is about to drop from a competitor. Either they over estimated what the FS5 would be, or something is brewing elsewhere (or maybe they know the 4.6K mini/C300 mk II footage is gonna blow everyone away).

Perhaps they heard the FS5 will do raw? (Which is true, but we've heard no more details on this) And assumed it would be much cheaper than the FS7? (Like most of us assumed!)

Possibly, although the FS700 has had 4K/120fps raw (60fps continuous) for a while now. I'm unsure of RED ever want to publicly challenge Sony, as Sony also push spec boundaries pretty hard.

RED tend to pick their battles with Canon, as they can build hype via the paper specs, knowing Canon will never push any boundaries. I think this has everything to do with the C300 mkII starting to get reviews and footage to back up their 15 stops claim.

Maybe they know some inside info about a C500 mk II or something... Just have a feeling this is all about Canon. Arri are more or less untouchable, the next level down could well be between Canon and RED

God, I hate their design style... Not enough to put me off, but that whole military thing is so crude and dated.

same here. really not into skulls as well.

People are suggesting that the wings on the new logo are an indication that the camera is drone friendly.

Which would mean movi type stabilizers friendly as welI. Did not have a problem working with the current reds on the movi but if it's even lighter and smaller then great.

Announcement Friday 25th... Actual product to be delivered early 2018 with a bunch of firmware bugs..... Stable firmware release and bugs fixed by sometime in 2019.

I joke... But only kinda :p

it is a possibility that they are rehousing all the mx sensors they traded back in with their upgrade path to dragon.

if that is the case I would assume they would ship fast.

I do hope it's a crippled dragon sensor though, just for the increase in dynamic range.

Possibly, although the FS700 has had 4K/120fps raw (60fps continuous) for a while now. I'm unsure of RED ever want to publicly challenge Sony, as Sony also push spec boundaries pretty hard.

RED tend to pick their battles with Canon, as they can build hype via the paper specs, knowing Canon will never push any boundaries. I think this has everything to do with the C300 mkII starting to get reviews and footage to back up their 15 stops claim.

Maybe they know some inside info about a C500 mk II or something... Just have a feeling this is all about Canon. Arri are more or less untouchable, the next level down could well be between Canon and RED

that is logical. Isn't arri or Sony vs red but red vs canon. I think the mindset of Canon and RED shooters have a lot in common too!