Sony A7S II is out!

liork

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Raise your hand if any of Emanuel's posts in this thread have been useful to you. 

Don't push it, man of the renaissance... LOL Don't try to take advantage because some other poster said yes in some other topic as the only way to make a point on yours ;-)

This test (not mine) is "my contribution" to this thread:

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/9390-sony-a7s-ii-is-out/?do=findComment&comment=106693

vlcsnap_2015_04_18_01h38m52s199.png

sample extracted from (minute 28:30):
https://vimeo.com/114978513

Don't push it, man of the renaissance... LOL Don't try to take advantage because some other poster said yes in some other topic as the only way to make a point on yours ;-)

This test (not mine) is "my contribution" to this thread:

That banding doesn't happen because of 4:2:0, it happens because of compression. Compression takes out bits and bits of material. Your 8bits get compressed down to 6-7bits and then expanded back up to 8 in essence. 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 has nothing to do with banding, only with edge / color sharpness.

That banding doesn't happen because of 4:2:0, it happens because of compression. Compression takes out bits and bits of material. Your 8bits get compressed down to 6-7bits and then expanded back up to 8 in essence. 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 has nothing to do with banding, only with edge / color sharpness.

It is clear internal 4:2:0 is much compressed. 4:2:2, higher bitrate. You miss the point of Emanuel. He didn't say 4:2:0 is the reason for banding. He said you don't need 10 bit to avoid banding. Higher bitrate 4:2:2 is okay. I've done tests with the Shogun. Same results of that test.

It is clear internal 4:2:0 is much compressed. 4:2:2, higher bitrate. You miss the point of Emanuel. He didn't say 4:2:0 is the reason for banding. He said you don't need 10 bit to avoid banding. Higher bitrate 4:2:2 is okay. I've done tests with the Shogun. Same results of that test.

Interested in that : ) How about grading ? Do you see any improvement in terms of how the image holds up in 8 bit 422 vs 10 bit 422 ? 

444 is good for certain work, a waste for other needs. 420, generally, too compressed, a pain in the ass.

One thing good about 4:2:0 is that you can immediately spot how it would look like in youtube/tv anywhere. As everything that comes out anywhere (except the cinemas) is basically 4:2:0.

That can lead to awesome situations like doing a cool ass very saturated animated commercial in 4:4:4. Client loves it, everything looks great! But when it comes out of the television or goes out to youtube: "OH MY LORD what are those huge blocks of colors next to my red text on green background?!"

Interested in that : ) How about grading ? Do you see any improvement in terms of how the image holds up in 8 bit 422 vs 10 bit 422 ? 

Played a bit for first time today. Nothing scientific. To the eye, you don't notice any difference. My friend will grade it. We'll see his findings.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it a tad strange this is shipping next Friday in the States, and there's been no more footage or first impressions...or anything?

It can be because actually, the Mark II is a mere update to the older sister, based on the goodies brought from a7RII (such as more power processing, in any case, still overheating according to the early reports from manufacturer), except sensor design, including the same sensor, contrast detection AF, etc...