Sony A7S II is out!

liork

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

if BMPCC miss you, try LX100 !!! another crack for the price, really an artistic tool. Even if Ursa mini 4k wedding is excellent, LX100 wedding is this time, beautiful : with a quarter of former specs.

LX100 - A6000 - URSA MINI 4K this is my dream team !!

Not sure what this has to do with the A7Sii? Shouldn't this be in the Blackmagic section?

I used the Sony AS7 in SLog2 for 1 year. I shot two 52-minutes documentaries for French TV. 4 months ago, colorists using Da Vinci Resolve (they are 3 in Chanel 2) all said "PLEASE stop using the Sony A7SII, the colors are horrible! Calibration is a headache for us because skin tones are infamous 9 times out of 10, and it seems it lacks colors in each image ... ". I love my A7SII because it is compact, convenient, and that images always appear Detailed me. I yielded to their request: this summer, I rented a Canon 1DC. And surprise, I seem to have discovered what a palette of deep colors! The tones are warm, bright and the result after calibration is staggering beauty. I sulked Canon for 2 years. So, I kept my A7S to film my kids and take some pictures sometimes. Ok Canon is a company that is not listening to its users. Ok Canon provides only the minimum. But Canon has realized that the most important, beyond the technical advances, it is the science of color.

Nice guy, but you explain to people that when you see something that goes well it's another story,  that ultimately the colors of these small Sony are horrible, impossible to correct, without 10bit.

Nice guy, but you explain to people that when you see something that goes well it's another story,  that ultimately the colors of these small Sony are horrible, impossible to correct, without 10bit.

Color other than banding is a different story. In any case, it is very possible the reds of this 2015 version may end much more accurate, following what happens with the most recent offer (a7RII).

Rolling shutter: Improved but not a new system. How much we will find out in a month I guess. 

Overheating: Due to slow cards. What?  I call that bullshit. 

Would she really go on record to say that it's the cards if it were untrue? Could it actually be the slower cards that caused all this commotion?

Hmmm. I wonder if someone out there tonight who has never had an overheating issue with the A7rii because they are using a particular card? Can you imagine them under lensing up another back lit fluttering leaf and giggling their mofo ass off?

I am using my A7rii for almost a month in very warm weather. I have not experience any heat issue, but I don't do long takes (>10min). Still haven't decided whether I am going to better off with the A7sii. 

I am using my A7rii for almost a month in very warm weather. I have not experience any heat issue, but I don't do long takes (>10min). Still haven't decided whether I am going to better off with the A7sii. 

Happy to hear that Don. Really. With that, I begin to wonder if you have let your camera run long enough for it to actually shut down? And if you haven't, would you be willing to try that to actually know if it is the 'cards' as this Sony Rep is suggesting?

I'm climbing through the specs and functionality of a great plethora of cameras right now trying to to
determine what will hold up best in a very hot climate over the next few years. If I knew that the A7rii and the coming A7sii won't overheat it would bode well for my selection process.

I really appreciate your sensibilities on this forum and look forward to your thoughts?

a7RII is a much better deal... :-)

You can always use 4:2:2 8-bit going externally in both anyway... ;-)

LOL OK, apart my jokes, I think you're safer with the most interesting hybrid offer from Sony...

I'm interested in the new Sony's camera, both A7rii and A7Sii: why you consider the A7rii a better deal?

I would disagree with that claim. It's more about where your priorities lie. If you want a hybrid camera for super hi-res stills and decent video, the A7R II is a great choice. If you're more of a videographer who occasionally shoots stills and want the best possible performance in FF video, the A7S II's S-LOG3, SGamut3.cine, and video-optimized sensor will be more up your alley. Horses for courses.

I would disagree with that claim. It's more about where your priorities lie. If you want a hybrid camera for super hi-res stills and decent video, the A7R II is a great choice. If you're more of a videographer who occasionally shoots stills and want the best possible performance in FF video, the A7S II's S-LOG3, SGamut3.cine, and video-optimized sensor will be more up your alley. Horses for courses.

Thanks TheRenaissanceMan,

I was just going to edit my previous post to add some more details, but I'll reply here at this point.

I was mainly curious about Emanuel's statement because it seemed kind of too open statement, so I thought there must be some reason and would have been interesting hearing more from him.

Anyway, personally it's a tough decision. I bought the A6000 last year and waited for the A7Sii, hoping could have been the perfect solution for stills and video.

It kind of makes sense that is not the perfect hybrid though. But now I'm left with a difficult decision (in fact I'm almost thinking I won't buy anything at all).

I love the A6000, I shoot a lot of stills and it's a great camera. I don't complain too much about the video, definitely a great step above my previous 7D, plus Sony added the X-AVCs which is a welcome firmware update.

But then I tried the A7s, and for video that camera it's a different story. So, I guess I just need to test the A7s out more for stills and see if that's enough for my needs, and considered I shouldn't expect more in terms of stills from the A7Sii, if the A7s works fine then I know what to buy.

As others have already complained though, it's $500 more and I'm curious to find out whether the new features are worth the extra money. I'm especially curious about the IBIS since I use only old manual lenses. If the IBIS can really help me out with those old lenses getting a more stabilized video (though I'm aware I can't expect anything like an actual dedicated gimbal stabilizer), that could make a difference. 4k? Hm... not sure yet, never felt the urge for that, but since it's there I think it doesn't hurt (once we figure out the overheating issue).

If it's been working the way you want, why bother? Make cool stuff with it.

I have fallen into the pit of market-driven pleasure-less indecisiveness. Low light is something I have always craved for. If it lacks overheating then that's another point although that's more due to insecurity. S-gamut3.cine is the last one cause s-gamut in A7s/a7sii is nearly unusable with my deficient coloring skills.  

a7RII is a much better deal... :-)

You can always use 4:2:2 8-bit going externally in both anyway... ;-)

LOL OK, apart my jokes, I think you're safer with the most interesting hybrid offer from Sony...

Yeah I think it is a great camera and the one that I was dreaming of for years. Expensive as hell though so the only way that I could convince my wife to get it was if I sell boththe D800 & the E-M1. The A7sii will not allow me to sell the D800 yet so that's the main reason against it. 

I begin to wonder if you have let your camera run long enough for it to actually shut down? And if you haven't, would you be willing to try that to actually know if it is the 'cards' as this Sony Rep is suggesting?

I haven't recorded long clips yet. I might do that soon, but I am afraid that after the first overheat I will get nervous and go for the A7sII. 

I have fallen into the pit of market-driven pleasure-less indecisiveness. Low light is something I have always craved for. If it lacks overheating then that's another point although that's more due to insecurity. S-gamut3.cine is the last one cause s-gamut in A7s/a7sii is nearly unusable with my deficient coloring skills.  

Low light performance is the main thing that's making me insecure with my current gear, but if I'm being honest with myself, I really don't need it. Most of my work is lit, and what I can't light I can fake my way through with fast lenses and an eye for natural light at the location. 

Even if I had the A7S II, I'd probably shoot it Brandon Li style and get my look in-camera. LOG profiles can be nice for big projects, but for novice colorists like me it's just too difficult to handle. 

I think the video out of the A7RII is more than decent. And from comparisons I've seen, it holds up well against A7s at comparable ISO's when the RII is in S35 mode, in FF you're good to 3200. The PADF is very functional when shooting video as well. I don't shoot slog though, the minimum ISO for me is a pain to work with since I'm constantly shooting in bright conditions. YMMV. They're both capable of producing some amazing images.

Cheers

Thanks TheRenaissanceMan,

I was just going to edit my previous post to add some more details, but I'll reply here at this point.

I was mainly curious about Emanuel's statement because it seemed kind of too open statement, so I thought there must be some reason and would have been interesting hearing more from him.

The Man of the Renaissance is not wrong when says it depends on the priorities, of course. But, tell me where the announced a7SII goes where the a7RII is unable to offer? (that is, apart the 8K stills / 5fps burst as bonus for mere 200 bucks of difference for the 42MP higher density)

Full pixel readout in FF? But you have speedbooster option, if so. The same applies on the lowlight department. Noisy higher ISOs mean too little, as the last footage released from the new prototype of Canon easily proves it. Aside the fact the difference is nickel-and-dime. Much because of a newer BSI sensor tech.

399 hybrid phase detection AF points is a way more efficient than only 169 contrast (slower too) detection AF points.

Even overheating, once it is not coming from sensor but processing, it can happen a negligible difference if any, with the a7SII, because of downsampling has more impact on the a7RII, but I doubt of importance.

Even rolling shutter won't be much better, considering what we've seen from the older sisters. Actually, the apparent advantage for lowlight performance you gain going FF on a7SII, without mention the speedbooster option available shooting with S35 (on a7RII) but not in FF, you'll end to lose it with rolling shutter.

Last but not least, the native 800 ISO for S-Log2 on a7RII is much more interesting than 1600 on a7SII (S-Log3), with no mention the PITA of 3200 for the old a7S (S-Log2).

And let's not forget the color accuracy issues on such sensor (a7S).