Sony A7S II is out!

liork

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

$1,999 to $2,499 is the right price for this camera. For $3,000 I would consider the A7RII over this camera. They both produce similar video quality but in photography they're two different worlds. Maybe if it had 12-20fps, and target Sport, Event photography... cover the areas where the A7RII fails and I could justify this camera as a B-Cam for stills and vice-versa for video; but that's not the case.

I have replaced my 5D3 for the A7RII and its a masterpiece, not perfect but it fills the needs for most type of shootings. In my opinion, the A7SII was a premature release to keep the Sony hype sells, and without a doubt is a great upgrade from its predecessor, but right now it's $800 to $500 overpriced.

Shame on you Sony, for using the A7RII hype to sell overpriced gear.

Ive owned the a7s for a little over a year now, and I've played with the a7rii and the a7ii. I will be selling my A7s for this, despite the price increase. Being able to shoot handheld is my go to thing, I just love the look and it's beautiful when executed well. The IBIS, though not as good as Olympus, still puts out a beautiful motion picture when hanging off an easyrig or something similar, a very genuine looking handheld feel that I love. Is IBIS worth 1k? Absolutely not, but my favorite low light camera + that I'll pay it. It's the one thing I've wished I had on the a7s.

$1,999 to $2,499 is the right price for this camera. For $3,000 I would consider the A7RII over this camera. They both produce similar video quality but in photography they're two different worlds. Maybe if it had 12-20fps, and target Sport, Event photography... cover the areas where the A7RII fails and I could justify this camera as a B-Cam for stills and vice-versa for video; but that's not the case.

I have replaced my 5D3 for the A7RII and its a masterpiece, not perfect but it fills the needs for most type of shootings. In my opinion, the A7SII was a premature release to keep the Sony hype sells, and without a doubt is a great upgrade from its predecessor, but right now it's $800 to $500 overpriced.

Shame on you Sony, for using the A7RII hype to sell overpriced gear.

It's not like there isn't any competition... so if people want to buy a premium price for Sony products well I don't see any problem with that... Panasonic and Samsung are producing competitive products for half the price. Also the A7s II comes with S-log3 - will be curious to see how it compares to the A7R II S-log2.  

EOSHD  "FS7 or A7S II might be thinking “I didn’t have much time to justify the investment” 

FS7 has far better recording options. FS5 needs to drop to around 44K. Probably street prices will be lower. 

I don't think any FS7 owner are regretting anything

Sounds correct, unless there is a catch with the "full pixel readout". 

It will be interesting to see why Sony decided not to advertize one of the most important improvements if it is indeed 8.3ms also in FF 4K mode. 

I'd be surprised if it were reduced that much, Sony makes big claims with things like RS and DR that never pan out. My guess is that's not the case, which is why it wasn't highlighted in the rollout - because just 8.3ms would be huge news.

Because its not global shutter.  So it still has some flaw.  Plus the vast magority of people won't know what 8.3 milliseconds readout means or whether it is good.  Higher numbers usually mean better, which is why I think they phrased it as 120 times a second.   Another thing is that the just-released A7r ii has abysmal rolling shutter, so probably best all round just to not mention it.   I may turn out to be wrong, but I like to be optimistic.

Rolling shutter in 4K has to be reeeally nasty -> shot at 40 seconds.

I think that was just a really bad jerky slide move.  But of course its not global shutter so there will always be some micro jitter when that happens.

Because its not global shutter.  So it still has some flaw. 

If it has 8ms rolling shutter then that is not a flaw by any means. It is one of the best rolling shutters out there. That is definetly "advertisable".  It would definetly work with me at least. 

Another thing is that the just-released A7r ii has abysmal rolling shutter, so probably best all round just to not mention it.  

Not in FF. 

I think that was just a really bad jerky slide move.  But of course its not global shutter so there will always be some micro jitter when that happens.

You're probably right. I mean, if they advertised 8ms and delivered something really abysmal, that might be noticed. So it should be half-decent at least.

Yeah, perhaps without all the add-ons you would want the URSA Mini is.

What I think is really messed up though is that the EUR price is much higher than the USD price although the EUR/USD exchange is still in favor of the EUR (which has dropped strength quite significantly, I vividly remember when it was still around 1.45-ish dollar for a euro, now it's somewhere around 1.10 you'd get for 1 EUR). I mean, what gives.

I mean, what gives.

Tax?

I believe that at this price: 3400 Euros is a camera for children idiots .... Ursa mini is a whole lot better, for only 2800 Euros ...

A7s/ii is a run&gun type of camera aimed at both enthusiasts and professionals, whereas Ursa mini is more the workhorse type that is only for professionals. Don't let the prices confuse you, because when you add all the necessary equipment, they will not end up not only in the same price range but also not even close in the weight/size scale. 

P.S. children idiots? Nice picture you have there :p

Well, there goes my A7s for sale. Goddayum the price drops on these Sony cameras are crazy. My 5d III is still almost same price as I bought it years ago

Checking ebay, I noticed that the 5d iii is selling for around $1,800 to $2,000... If you bought your 5diii "years ago" for that much, than yes, your 5diii is almost at the same value.  Somehow, I doubt you bought your 5diii for that much "yes ago".  Remember, a store can sell a new 5diii for any price it wants.  Doesn't mean that people are going to buying it for that price.  You may disagree, but the 5diii has lost a lot of value and will continue to lose value regardless when the 5div /5dc/ etc comes out... 

Electronic equipment in general loses a lot of value very quickly.  I'm glad sony is bringing out a lot of cameras.  Those that want to play with the "greatest and the latest" will just have to pay the "greats and the latest" prices ($$$$$$$).  Those that don't, will just wait and buy the older generation.  This helps get more cameras into the hands of consumers and helps earlier adopters get the latest technology.  Slowly rolling out cameras hurt everyone.  Technology stagnates and prices of products remain high for even "older technology".  Sony has raised the bar.  Because of this, the next canon consumer video dslr MUST have 4k.  A win-win for all consumers...  :-)