Sony A7S II is out!

liork

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

14 bit raw is a step ahead from the old 12 bit I thought Sony did with their stills? Or is it still doing only a "14" bit instead 

Its no different than the A7rII - which is also touted as having 14-bit raw output. Sony's 14-bit is fudged as we all know. See the A7rII specs:

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/dkw5/specifications.html?contentsTop=1

I bet my A7rII that its still the same 11+7 compression used on all the other A7's.

I was looking forward to this announcement and now I'm not so sure what I think. All the obvious improvements are there, IBIS, 4K plus that nice extra of 1080p 120fps. And, of course, I look forward to seeing some consumer footage. But I had kind of hoped for less rolling shutter...or slightly increased MP count...

I might save (a lot) more and look at the Ursa Mini at some point. I can't quite get over the fact that some of the most impressive and filmic footage I've seen is from Blackmagic.

It does have less rolling shutter.   Full pixel readout at 120fps means a readout time of 8.3 milliseconds max.  The A7S was about 30ms.

It does have less rolling shutter.   Full pixel readout at 120fps means a readout time of 8.3 milliseconds max.  The A7S was about 30ms.

Sounds correct, unless there is a catch with the "full pixel readout". 

It will be interesting to see why Sony decided not to advertize one of the most important improvements if it is indeed 8.3ms also in FF 4K mode. 

huge upgrade specs wise on paper.  but there is nothing here that makes me want to sell up the a7s and pay the huge euro price on this new model.  fullhd from the a7s leaves nothing to be desired in res terms.  we didnt need 4k. we needed 4;2;2 and 10 bit internal.

the upgrade from the a7r mk1 to the a7r2 was justified due to the flawed video mode on the a7rmk1.  And the IBIS and repositioned shutter button for still photograophy  

an upgrade from the a7s mk1 to this seems like a waste of money for me since very few lenses with good aesthetic for motion picture also deliver 4k onto full frame.  .

Sounds correct, unless there is a catch with the "full pixel readout". 

It will be interesting to see why Sony decided not to advertize one of the most important improvements if it is indeed 8.3ms also in FF 4K mode. 

I'd be surprised if it were reduced that much, Sony makes big claims with things like RS and DR that never pan out. My guess is that's not the case, which is why it wasn't highlighted in the rollout - because just 8.3ms would be huge news.

Slog3 might put a little more strain on the highlight noise level in 8bit 4:2:2, but I think that will largely be forgotten in exchange for the color benefits of encoding in S-Gamut3.Cine, which people should find much easier to color correct; It's closer to a negative film scan.