Sony A7S II is out!

liork

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Massive resolution photos...which is a big bonus if you're looking for an all in one camera.

Also, BSI sensor with faster readout, same FPS despite 3.5x the MP.

PADF, which gives you vastly superior eye AF and better tracking AF - features I find to be awesome, but I shoot hundreds of stills a week.

Honestly, I was hoping for a MP bump with full readout on S35 mode, faster FPS and PADF - something we'll probably see next year in the A7sIII. To me this is just meh. But I'm pretty happy with my A7rII.

edit: honestly, sticking with 8-bit is the biggest disappointment. I have to step up to the FS5 to get 10-bit. 

A very welcome addition is S-LOG 3 (and along with it the S-Gamut 3 colour mode) but I am mystified as to why the A7R II is stuck with the old version of S-LOG 2! Clearly, shot matching between these two on one shoot is going to be “fun”!

The new camera will also have S-LOG 2, so you can easily switch back and have even more fun ;) 

I doubt slog3 is going to be better than slog2. If anything it will make it worse for skin colors since there are even less values assigned in mid gray level. Increasing the dynamic range with 8 bits is just not good for skin colors. I wish they had included 10 bits. But that might have been impossible with the current thermal envelope of these cameras. 

Now, the only difference between this and A7rII for my use is the better high ISO sensitivity. Maybe the overheating too since I doubt they released a video centric camera with overheating problems. 

I doubt slog3 is going to be better than slog2. If anything it will make it worse for skin colors since there are even less values assigned in mid gray level. Increasing the dynamic range with 8 bits is just not good for skin colors. I wish they had included 10 bits. But that might have been impossible with the current thermal envelope of these cameras. 

Now, the only difference between this and A7rII for my use is the better high ISO sensitivity. Maybe the overheating too since I doubt they released a video centric camera with overheating problems. 

I firmly believe it is in Sony's interest to reassure the market that overheating will not be a problem with this camera. It's too big of a problem to ignore.

Is it just me or does the 120fps look like crap?

Waves always look bad. So much moving stuff to confuse and overwork the compression.  I think normal things will look quite good.  120fps at 1080p full readout is pretty novel actually.   Obviously if you want 4k slow motion you need to get an 7S7 or URSA.  No stills cam does it.

I was looking forward to this announcement and now I'm not so sure what I think. All the obvious improvements are there, IBIS, 4K plus that nice extra of 1080p 120fps. And, of course, I look forward to seeing some consumer footage. But I had kind of hoped for less rolling shutter...or slightly increased MP count...

I might save (a lot) more and look at the Ursa Mini at some point. I can't quite get over the fact that some of the most impressive and filmic footage I've seen is from Blackmagic.