Watch the first five minutes of GH2 feature film Musgo (warning - NSFW)

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[media]http://vimeo.com/45596420[/media]

[b]Warning - this video contains content some viewers may find disturbing. Not suitable for work.[/b]

One of the best looking trailers I've seen on Vimeo from anyone has been for a tense Spanish thriller called Musgo. It now appears the feature length film itself could as thrilling as many were expecting.

This looks like being a real breakout hit.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I'm very excited to see the final product - and it's inspiring to see such a striking look achieved with minimal equipment and crew. I'm curious if anyone can tell - is the letterbox all done in post? Or was this shot anamorphic? The behind the scenes footage looks like it was shot in the standard 24H.

The look of this is very good!

It was shot in 1080? I find the stuttering during pans and fast motion to be pretty distracting, but maybe it's because my GH1 has the same issue, and I'm looking to closely for it? Maybe to a normal viewer who is not a filmmaker would smooth right over that issue? Otherwise, the lighting and grading is superb.

As a viewer- It's a little overly dramatic in the scene direction and soundtrack for my taste... I'd call it 'well on the way to being a solid film', rather than a breakout hit. But as a filmmaker- I can safely say I would die happy having reached this level of ability. Thanks for sharing!

• Administrators
Plot looks strong from the start. I'm interested to know if it holds my attention throughout the 72 min feature and that will be the true test of the plot. There is a synopsis on the original trailer...

[indent=1]Sara runs a large country house in the middle of the Pyrenees, away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Her peaceful life is interrupted by the unexpected arrival of her stepmother with whom she does not get along. Her stepmother brings her father’s ashes. What at first looks like a reconciliation turns into a nightmare.[/indent]
[indent=1]Cast
Meritxell Ortega…… Sara
Mercè Espelleta…… Mercedes
Joan Manel Chilet….Juan
German Parreño…… Alex[/indent]

The first five minutes actually seem more like the middle of the film so maybe it has a non-linear plot which jumps back and forth in time. That would be pretty cool, I have seen that work to great effect before.
Congrats Gami, and I will try to grab an interview stay tuned

• Administrators
[quote name='onedogdan' timestamp='1342452653' post='13967']
The look of this is very good!

It was shot in 1080? I find the stuttering during pans and fast motion to be pretty distracting, but maybe it's because my GH1 has the same issue, and I'm looking to closely for it? Maybe to a normal viewer who is not a filmmaker would smooth right over that issue? Otherwise, the lighting and grading is superb.

As a viewer- It's a little overly dramatic in the scene direction and soundtrack for my taste... I'd call it 'well on the way to being a solid film', rather than a breakout hit. But as a filmmaker- I can safely say I would die happy having reached this level of ability. Thanks for sharing!
[/quote]

It is 24p and you are streaming it over Vimeo. Also your monitor is not going to look as cinematic for motion as a good home theatre projector. Maybe you can experiment with your set up a bit. It is the way it is being displayed not the camera or the shooting style which has the issue.

[quote name='onedogdan' timestamp='1342452653' post='13967']It was shot in 1080? I find the stuttering during pans and fast motion to be pretty distracting, but maybe it's because my GH1 has the same issue, and I'm looking to closely for it? Maybe to a normal viewer who is not a filmmaker would smooth right over that issue?[/quote]

Hard to tell. You know, I was an analog film guy all my life. When I was seven and went to the cinema with my grandpa every week, he finally gave me a [i]Dux Kino[/i] for christmas:

[url="http://www.super8data.com/database/toys_list/toys_image/dux_kino_68(2).jpg"][img]http://www.super8data.com/database/toys_list/toys_image/dux_kino_68(2).jpg[/img][/url]
I began to study film, made some low profile no budget films on Super 8 and 16 mm, later on VHS, and finally owed my living as projectionist. I always hated the look of interlaced video and did my best to mimic film. The amateurs who advised the 50/60p frame rates as [i]better[/i] I always despised.

Now analog film became extinct, and times change. I am more sensitive to stuttering motion than ever before. This doesn't mean I think that 24p won't be tolerated by a majority, as Peter Jackson predicts. But I can imagine that video and cinema will use higher frame rates as a standard.

What I didn't like in this clip are the sometimes jerky camera moves (EDIT: I prefer to distinguish problems with wrong panning speed asf. from those caused by too low frame rate. Download the 1,15 GB 1920 version from vimeo and make sure your monitor refreshes at 60 Hz). I wonder if the director actually conducted a test for the big screen. Unsteady camera movements are unacceptable on giant screens, they really make you feel physically sick. It is worse, much worse, if your AR is scope.

To avoid this, you can get closer to your display, so close that the edges of your image are outside of your field of vision. Cinema technically is about image size. That magnified, can you stand your own camera work?

[color=#222222][font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)][quote name='richg101' timestamp='1342456853' post='13975']Very Babel in its appearance.[/quote]

You have good insight to compare this, but even so I think that the instability of Rodrigo Prietos camera is a more controlled, more dosed one. It is very subtle and transports emotion.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='onedogdan' timestamp='1342452653' post='13967']As a viewer- It's a little overly dramatic in the scene direction and soundtrack for my taste... I'd call it 'well on the way to being a solid film', rather than a breakout hit.[/quote]

You can't tell yet. Could be Tarantino class, could just be the typical video store splatter movie, most of which never were shown in cinemas as regularly booked films. But some of them are not just silly trash, but become hits.

It's a great production job for sure!

On the subject of the Zacuto shootout, I never found Den Lennie's work to be filmic at all, his work looks like video out of the camera, the FS700 test looked too video too but it's probably the colour grading. I've seen better "filmic" work out of the FS100.

This director/cameraman's skill is way above and beyond anything I've done - but that five minute extract from the film doesn't make much sense at all. It feels like there's a lot of repetition of shots too.

I really, really liked the third clip though - that test footage had an incredibly cinematic feel to it.

Great to see what can be done with creativity and elbow grease all the same. I'll keep an eye out for it.

• Administrators
[quote name='Chris Santucci' timestamp='1342456990' post='13976']
Where'd the highlights go?
[/quote]

Silver screen. No super white. It looks like it is being projected. Helps soften the harsh electronic highlights you get when viewing stuff on an LCD monitor. That is my theory of why he's done it that way. I don't tend to shoot like that but in this instance it worked.

[quote name='Joe Filipas' timestamp='1342452346' post='13966']
I'm curious if anyone can tell - is the letterbox all done in post? Or was this shot anamorphic? The behind the scenes footage looks like it was shot in the standard 24H.
[/quote]

I asked on Vimeo if anyone is interested - no anamorphic shooting, just cropping in post.

• Administrators
[quote name='Xiong' timestamp='1342497145' post='14021']
WOW! That last clip, that first side shot of him smoking, all that detail on his face pops so nicely. Its really fantastic, thats what I like about the GH2, its weak in some parts but when it shines, it shines!
[/quote]

It sure does have an image that pops. What a gift it is to low budget filmmakers. I've been able to invest so much more in the lenses and almost forget about the camera side.

• Administrators
Assume it was Nikon G version with adapter where you can control mechanical aperture of the G lens. I personally have the Canon mount version so have no experience of Nikon G adapters. It is fine wide open at F2.8 with NDs on standard Hong Kong Micro Four Thirds > EOS adapter.