New iPhone 6S camera shoots and edits 4K video

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

iphone-6s-camera-1.png

Some interesting new developments from Apple on the new iPhone 6S camera.

The phone now shoots 4K video with a new 12MP sensor. A new feature, Live Photos stores multiple 12MP frames with a new compression technology to give movement to still photos.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Cool.  It'll be fun for folks to have home movies @3840 pixels.  Actually, shouldn't that be 2160 resolution?  Most people will shoot vertical videos with the thing, after all.

I'd be pleased if Apple just implemented software that forced horizontal orientation regardless of the physical rotation of the phone, but whateva'.  I'm sure the next generation will probably make and watch entire films with a vertical screen.

Aren't a lot of these features already there on Android (Samsung) phone? The Apple Pencil was the S-Pen, amd 4k was a natural  (albeit late) progression. 

I found most of the announcements rather cold and unimpressive. The 4k app on the iPhone btw hangs and causes all sorts of strange issues.

More than anything I would like a shootout between this and the S6. Especially with the 4k Cinema App ... ;-)

The new panaroma mode shoots some large sized pics. Don't remember the exactpixel size though.

iphone-6s-camera-1.png

Some interesting new developments from Apple on the new iPhone 6S camera.

The phone now shoots 4K video with a new 12MP sensor. A new feature, Live Photos stores multiple 12MP frames with a new compression technology to give movement to still photos.

Read the full article

Btw I have a feeling Samsung has designed the Chip And AND the Camera.

Am I the only one who thinks that those high frame rates are useless?? The bitrate is so low... The videos always look like a crappy 360p video, full of artifacts!

I agree with you too. Most mobile videos right now look mostly crap regardless of which film festival they enter or what AD uses them.  

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Am I the only one who thinks that those high frame rates are useless?? The bitrate is so low... The videos always look like a crappy 360p video, full of artifacts!

Tried the 6+ intending to get one for the 120p, I thought hey upgrade my Note 3 and get some slo-mo shots in the pocket, it looked crap in broad daylight, I said pass. It's NO where near Full SD resolution, proper sharp oversampled 480p, not to mention HD, and the noise. When you flick into the mode a high speed sensor readout is activated with heavy skipping/aliasing/noise.

I hope this 1080p 120p gives a clean-enough slo-mo image. The sensor seems genuinely a part of their interest. I wonder if it's sony again and which model.

Tried the 6+ intending to get one for the 120p, I thought hey upgrade my Note 3 and get some slo-mo shots in the pocket, it looked crap in broad daylight, I said pass. It's NO where near Full SD resolution, proper sharp oversampled 480p, not to mention HD, and the noise. When you flick into the mode a high speed sensor readout is activated with heavy skipping/aliasing/noise.

I hope this 1080p 120p gives a clean-enough slo-mo image. The sensor seems genuinely a part of their interest. I wonder if it's sony again and which model.

I personally doubt whether the improvement will be very noticeable. The only exciting video from a mobile phone regardless of frame rates appear to be the S6 and Note 5 with that crazy 200Mbps Flat Profile app (4k Cinema App).

Also this jump to 12 MP from 8 is another disappointment. Quite frankly most of today's announcements were lack lustre.

I believe Samsung (along with Motorola) seem to be 2 companies who are really heading in the right direction (along with the One Plus guys). Samsung's 6GB RAM is another great move, especially for gaming and for shooting high res 4k video. While Sony makes superb sensors IMHO it is unable to make the best phones to use these technologies. Also its phones look very poorly designed. Samsung seems to be really nailing it. I won't be surprised if their next generation of phone sensors compete with Sony in a big way. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

crap regardless of which film festival they enter or what AD uses them.  

Yes I've never really understood why use a phone instead of cheap publicity.

My daughter's little cute pocket white Samsung point & shoot, 1/2.3" sensor with a 4-86mm (23-500mm) lens, Full 1080p that's extremely sharp throughout the entire range (think a6000 1080 sharp), ridiculously effective OS even at 500mm handheld, very clean codec, all for a 100$-ish. The video and photo quality are another galaxy away from the most recent 6s and the note 4K video looks crap next to it, not to mention stuck at a 26-28mm FL.

I mean just why shoot a film festival entry on a device costing x6 and having 0.25x quality, aside from the coolness factor that it's shot on a phone. Much better cameras out there. As bloom always used to say one should never shoot on the crappiest camera they own when they have access to a better one, seems so obvious but sadly important now to say.

Phone camera is a wonderful technology, as a camera you have on you all the time to capture moments and share momentarily and make phone calls. No doubt or undermining of phone cameras.

Yes I've never really understood why use a phone instead of cheap publicity.

My daughter's little cute white Samsung point & shoot, 2/3" sensor with a 4.8-80mm (23-400mm) lens, Full 1080p that's extremely sharp throughout the entire range (think a6000 1080 sharp), ridiculously effective OS even at 400mm handheld, very clean codec, all for a 100$-ish. The video and photo quality are another galaxy away from the most recent 6s and the note 4K video looks crap next to it, not to mention stuck at a 26-28mm FL.

I mean just why shoot a film festival entry on a device costing x6 and having 0.25x quality, aside from the coolness factor that it's shot on a phone. Much better cameras out there. As bloom always used to say one should never shoot on the crappiest camera they own when they have access to a better one, seems so obvious but sadly important now to say.

Phone camera is a wonderful technology, as a camera you have on you all the time to capture moments and share momentarily and make phone calls. No doubt or undermining of phone cameras.

I couldn't agree more with you. But more than merelt the size of sensors and other things it may be the implementation. 

I think Sony should concentrate on making a PureView808 kind of Sensor which is atleast 40MP (or ideally 50MP) and produces a 20MP image at bitrates comparable with DSLRs. That would be seriously something. Also, high bitrate videos similar to Panasonic's midrange can produce some steller video as seen from various online videos.

One cannot carry a professional camera 24x7. But a phone with a superb mobile phone camera can be carried around always. And it can be made to shoot some great videos too.

But DSLRs are an Entire Industry. And people like to look more professional than they are. Sony's mobile phone sensor division has alreadybstarted stepping on their camera sensor division. They just don't know it yet. 

I wonder if we'll have a Log profile with 12-14 stops and LUT on a smartphone...who's gonna do it first?  Apple, Samsung....Sony?

My Galaxy Note 4 does 4K, 24p at 50Mbits/sec with the OpenCamera app.  The Exynos variant (not common) even does 4K with HDR enabled and looks pretty amazing.  Just needs a few more stops of dynamic range.