SLR Magic has 3 new anamorphic lenses in m43 mount

Flynn

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I too would rather see a full set of traditional S35-sized anamorphic PL mount lenses. Or at least in EF mount so that we could use them with a speed booster on m4/3. If that 35mm could cover Super 35, it would be a big deal. Aside from rental options, there are very few good wide-angle anamorphic lenses out there.

Mediocre all round, tbh. 35mm on m43 is not wide, f2.8 is not fast, and m43 is not really the best sensor size format. S35 at least is preferred. 

I too would rather see a full set of traditional S35-sized anamorphic PL mount lenses. Or at least in EF mount so that we could use them with a speed booster on m4/3. If that 35mm could cover Super 35, it would be a big deal. Aside from rental options, there are very few good wide-angle anamorphic lenses out there.

They say the 50 and 70 should work on full frame and they will also be showing some PL prototypes.

for the price, I'm thinking somewhere south of the cost of an slr magic lens + anamorphot 2x + rangefinder. less than $2000 each?

That would be incredible. I'll be shocked if you're right but if you are, WOW!

I was wrong. The 35mm 2x and 1.33x lenses are $2500 and the 50mm and 70mm lenses are $3000 each.

2x Technical Data:

SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 35mm T2.4
SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 50mm T2.8
SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 70mm T4

Lens Type: Anamorphic lens

Squeeze factor: 2x

Camera mode: 4:3 Anamorphic

Objective front filter thread: Φ82

Mount: micro four thirds

Lens Coating: Multi Coated

Close Focus: 3’6

Weight (oz./g): 47.9/1,360

Length (cm): 19.25

Diameter (cm): 10 

Suggested aperture setting: T4-5.6

Image Circle: mFT for 35mm T2.4, S35 for 50mm T2.8 and 70mm T4

MSRP : $2,499 for SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 35mm T2.4

$2,999 for SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 50mm T2.8

$2,999 for SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 70mm T4

1.33x Technical Data:

SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 35mm T2.4
SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 50mm T2.8
SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 70mm T4

Lens Type: Anamorphic lens

Squeeze factor: 1.33x

Objective front filter thread: Φ82

Mount: Aluminium PL or Titanium PL compatible with optional EF adapter

Lens Coating: Multi Coated

Close Focus: 3’6

Weight (oz./g): 38.8/1,100

Length (cm): 13.5

Diameter (cm): 10 

Optional accessories: PL to EF adapter

Suggested aperture setting: T4-5.6

Image Circle: S35 for 35mm T2.4, FF for 50mm T2.8 and 70mm T4

MSRP : $2,499 for SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 35mm T2.4

$2,999 for SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 50mm T2.8

$2,999 for SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 70mm T4

I think that this is great that someone tries to bring anamorphics to the masses, but that focus ring on the front clearly an issue for mattebox users... this looks like Rangefinder implemented into lens design. Maybe I'm nitpicking here a little bit to much :)

Also I see from Zak's writeup that PL ones with larger image circle are just 1.33x squeeze, that's a bummer because URSA Maxi / Mini will have an option to shoot 6:5 ratio and with 2x anamorphics will get true 2.4:1 desqueezed. It seems that their focus in this case is more towards 16:9 shooting cameras and I understand the reasoning behind this because there are much more of those on the market, but still I think it would be better that they made them 2x.

Kind of a Catch 22 situation going on here: Low Budget filmmakers want an all-in-one anamorphic, but they are difficult & costly to make.

Judging from their previous offerings, i just don't think SLR Magic are going to deliver something that's going to have enough of the WOW factor that people are looking for, at a price that they can afford or are willing to pay.

I agree with Rich here, if you're going to invest in an anamorphic lens, the Iscorama is still the go to adaptor/lens. Also, you've got to consider that by being able to pair them with different taking lenses, you can drastically change the look of your projects & so aren't stuck with one look specific look, but a variety.

The market place has just been blown wide open with the Rectilux Core DNA & the SLR Rangefinder, so now Dual Focus Anamorphics have become much more user friendly - shit, you could buy a couple or more & it'll still be cheaper.

I know that there aren't that many pre-36s or non-MC 36s out there, but the hype that they are the best Iscorama just does my nut in. Yes i've owned one & yes i sold it - I prefered the look of the Kowa for B&H, was prepared to endure the extra hassle & the extra cash in my pocket.

Just remember that you can get MC anamorphics to flare - in the recent-ish Star Trek film they shone really powerful torches/lights into them to really get the lenses to flare in a crisp over the top way. I recently encountered this with an MC lens whilst filming a concert & I wasn't even in control of the lighting! When i've got time, i'm going to try & demonstrate this, which will hopefully dispel some of these myths.

But having said all that, I do tip my hat to SLR Magic for actually making them & really hope that they have come up with the goods.

Definitely not an attractive price, although still cheaper than other true anamorphics. As stated above, you can snag all kinds of other anamorph adapters along with the SLR RG/Rectilux and still have money left over versus a set of these anamorph primes. If these were priced around $2K or under a piece, then it would have my attention, maybe that's just me.

In other news at the complete opposite end of the price spectrum:

http://www.vantagefilm.com/en/news/minihawks-proof-of-performance-10456

New MiniHawks from Vantage Film. Compact. High Speed. Zero breathing. Super Close Focus. The set includes a 180mm prime at a jaw-dropping T1.5. The video they made contains some of the richest, most stunning anamorphic imagery I've ever seen. They'll probably cost six figures. Per lens.

Is it just me or those mini hawks don't seem to have "enough anamorphic look"? the 35, 40 and 50... the fact that they don't breathe, don't flare and don't have 2x anamorphic blur unless super close focus, they almost look like what you get with a filter with oval bokeh cut in front of a spherical... On the other hand, what a great focus puller work at display on that promo!!