Canon announces development of 8K Cinema EOS camera and 120MP DSLR

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Did Sony ever publish sensor development so far in advance? Is this just a PR stunt by Canon to make is seem that the future is bright? Since a new sensor technology takes so long to develop, surely there are all sorts of sensor in development in other company's labs (but they keep it under wraps, so that their competitors don't get too much insight.

And I always want more megapixels, since more detail is always welcome, but please keep expanding high iso capabilities as well (not like 5DS).

I'm not sure what the point is. Image quality at the pixel level is usually pretty bad with those high density sensors. It would be similar to what the typical superzoom shoots.

Pixel wars are back... It's pretty sad. Who will use 8K?? Don't say Hollywood, they can barely keep with 4K with all the CGI!

People delivering 4K. Having higher resolution on the master footage will allow optimal resolution at 4K with minimal artifacts.

Basically the same principle used when shooting 4K for delivery as HD.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

36mp frames at 60p with 13 stops of DR and Canon colour, it'll be like moving D810 full resolution pictures, which when projected large is mind blowing immersive feel. 

I think they chose to make a HDR lowlight C300II and a High resolution high-end IMAX C500II. 

That 120mp DSLR, Weird, since they just made the 5Ds. The only place I can this is at 8-10K medium format rival for the highest-end niche photography market.

Pixel wars are back... It's pretty sad. Who will use 8K?? Don't say Hollywood, they can barely keep with 4K with all the CGI!

Who?? Me. And lots of professionals who daily know what media convergence means. Lots of professionals used to extract grabs from a moving image in a regular basis. Lots of professionals who have their own hard-earned money invested in large printing technology. Lots of people who need to remind in posts like this that really, your needs are not like mine! : )

Picture business is pretty much beyond strictly motion and far away to coexist in separate departments. Get the concept open space and we'll have a fair analogy. So, 8K is actually not only welcome, also a mandatory need ...for lots of professionals out there.

- Emanuel

yeah well if they could get into a dynamic range and color depth war that would be great thanks.

can't wait to get my compressed 8k 4:2:0 8 bit image. so exciting.

This reminds me when people intend to believe when people marry, they'll start to keep distant from their parents. Give a break to your own fears, buddies, it is not the end of the world because your partner has decided to give you a new born child.

- Emanuel :-)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Well my JPEG compressed 8K 8bit 4:2:2 images off the D810 drop my jaw, quite literally. 

If it's as good of an 8bit codec as that, I'll happily take it.

Well my JPEG compressed 8K 8bit 4:2:2 images off the D810 drop my jaw, quite literally. 

LOL Good one, Ebrahim! I am a bit done to see people whining of sky bandings but never tested it with a fancy HDMI recorder to compare the differences... ;-)

PS: From a previous discussion on dvxuser: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?335344-New-PIX-E-recorders-monitors-from-Sound-Devices&p=1986537988&viewfull=1#post1986537988

vlcsnap_2015_04_18_01h38m52s199.png

sample extracted from (minute 28:30):
https://vimeo.com/114978513

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

LOL Good one, Ebrahim! I am a bit done to see people whining of sky bandings but never tested it with a fancy HDMI recorder to compare the differences... ;-)

PS: From a previous discussion on dvxuser: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?335344-New-PIX-E-recorders-monitors-from-Sound-Devices&p=1986537988&viewfull=1#post1986537988

vlcsnap_2015_04_18_01h38m52s199.png

sample extracted from (minute 28:30):
https://vimeo.com/114978513

Strange that 4:2:0 is the source of banding and 8bit 4:2:2 looking that smooth even pushed to produce banding. Perhaps that's an answer to why my d810 8bit 4:2:2 images never band or show 8bit stepping.

But the weird thing is that 10bit on the GH4 might not show much improvement yet with another camera, 8bit and 10bit are miles apart. Like on an F3. And on a Canon DSLR, the 4:2:2 8bit vs 4:2:0 8bit show zero improvement in anything while look at the GH4. And cameras with 8bit 4:2:0 24mbps showing much, much less compression than an 4:2:2 220mbps camera.

So, it's all SO random I no longer care about the codec numbers or specs, not even one bit (excuse me), just the image compression I visually see with my bare eyes 

8 bit jpeg off the highest dynamic range dslr sensor available, thus why they look good.

And I did say give us "better dynamic range" not only higher color sampling and more bit depth.

I'd take a high dynamic range 1080p image over a poor DR 4k one anyday. but to each his own.

It's difficult to tell 2K from 4K in a theater, let alone in a tv. 8K is nowadays as useless as it can get, to me. And I am for progress. But better codecs and more ergonomic/better menus cameras would be more welcome, at least by me! 

RAI, italian public television broadcasts in SD 4:3. 

I have read a few articles that suggest 4K might get passed by, on a consumer level, and 8K will be the key upgrade... It could allow things like entire walls to be used as a screen, or pixel perfect virtual windows (ala Total Recall).

Anyway, it is just another option, and an interesting move by Canon.

It's difficult to tell 2K from 4K in a theater, let alone in a tv. 8K is nowadays as useless as it can get, to me. And I am for progress. But better codecs and more ergonomic/better menus cameras would be more welcome, at least by me! 

RAI, italian public television broadcasts in SD 4:3. 

Senti... There's a much improvement from 1080HD to 4x 2160UHD, there's no doubt on it (a proposito, I did this comparison Yesterday night on two TV sets with native footage, respectively).

On big screen, I've always gotten the difference, night and day on wides, since the beginning when RED delivered it for first time 8 years ago*.

So please, let's not try to match tangerines with melons.

As second thought, delivery has nothing to do with acquisition. Your SD copy from 4K or 8K capture will really shine much more "natural" when you just accept it as a simple truth à la Palice : D Sharp pictures comprehends softer samples whenever you want. Softness hardly the higher.

I was used to this usual mistake when in the early 90s, my video dealer was often trying to convince me that a VHS tape from video recording would equal the 260 lines of a hollywood blockbuster when downsampled.

Nyquist is mandatory reading, amico mio! :-)

- E.

*PS: Never had the chance to watch anything from Dalsa...

Strange that 4:2:0 is the source of banding and 8bit 4:2:2 looking that smooth even pushed to produce banding. Perhaps that's an answer to why my d810 8bit 4:2:2 images never band or show 8bit stepping.

But the weird thing is that 10bit on the GH4 might not show much improvement yet with another camera, 8bit and 10bit are miles apart. Like on an F3. And on a Canon DSLR, the 4:2:2 8bit vs 4:2:0 8bit show zero improvement in anything while look at the GH4. And cameras with 8bit 4:2:0 24mbps showing much, much less compression than an 4:2:2 220mbps camera.

So, it's all SO random I no longer care about the codec numbers or specs, not even one bit (excuse me), just the image compression I visually see with my bare eyes 

It just depends on the application as you well know... One thing is a f/1.8 close up, another one a really wide blue sky at noon or sunset... ;-)

Canon-C500-close-up-702x339.jpg

Canon today issued an unusual development announcement for two upcoming cameras.

The first is a Cinema EOS C500 successor with 8K recording. The second is a 5DS style full frame DSLR featuring 120 megapixel resolution.

Read the full article

Canon just keeps announcing random grossly overdone camera technologies. 4 million ISO, and then this. And then everyone is kept in the dark for the next 10 years over what the footage actually looks like, because NASA is using this for indulging in voyeurism wrt to spying on alients making love on Pluto.

I think Canon should concentrate on making cameras to compete with the G7, the GH4, the LX100 etc etc instead of all.