Canon announces 250 megapixel sensor

dhso22

Source:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/megapixel-war-canon-japan-announces-a-new-250-megapixel-aps-h-sensor/

Canon Japan just announced that it has developed a new 250 Megapixel APS-H sensor.
The sensor read out 1.25 billion pixels per second. I guess your 50Megapixel Canon 5dsr
looks like a real loser now :)

Here is the official press release:

TOKYO, September 7, 2015
Canon Inc. announced today that it has developed an APS-H-size (approx. 29.2 x 20.2 mm)
CMOS sensor incorporating approximately 250 million pixels (19,580 x 12,600 pixels), the
world’s highest number of pixels1 for a CMOS sensor smaller than the size of a 35 mm
full-frame sensor.

When installed in a camera, the newly developed sensor was able to capture images enabling
the distinguishing of lettering on the side of an airplane flying at a distance of approximately
18 km from the shooting location.2

With CMOS sensors, increases in pixel counts result in increased signal volume, which can
cause such problems as signal delays and slight discrepancies in timing. The new
Canon-developed CMOS sensor, however, despite its exceptionally high pixel count, achieves
an ultra-high signal readout speed of 1.25 billion pixels per second, made possible through such
advancements as circuit miniaturization and enhanced signal-processing technology.
Accordingly, the sensor enables the capture of ultra-high-pixel-count video at a speed of five
frames per second. Additionally, despite the exceptionally high pixel count, Canon applied its
sensor technologies cultivated over many years to realize an architecture adapted for
miniaturized pixels that delivers high-sensitivity, low-noise imaging performance.

Video footage captured by the camera outfitted with the approximately 250-megapixel CMOS
sensor achieved a level of resolution that was approximately 125 times that of Full HD
(1,920 x 1,080 pixels) video and approximately 30 times that of 4K (3,840 x 2,160 pixels) video.
The exceptionally high definition made possible by the sensor lets users crop and magnify
video images without sacrificing image resolution and clarity.

Canon is considering the application of this technology in specialized surveillance and crime
prevention tools, ultra-high-resolution measuring instruments and other industrial equipment,
and the field of visual expression.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Most likely it wil never make it to commercial production. Though, I can imaging the Cohen brothers going absolutely nuts with the posibility of their perpetual zooms (ala 'Burn After Reading'), when the final shots zooms into a flea on a guy's nose. Hehehe

Or a Ridley Scott 'Body of Lies' kindda film with Sattelite photo effect. 

Otherwise mostly useless for films I guess. Also, I am a little suspicious about the Processing Power of this Camera (a mini super computer to rival some of the planet's Best, I am guessing). Till they let people use it, it will just be a very suspicious piece of technology.