A7s- exposing in the Cine profiles

Mike Kozlenko

I might be a little late to the party but I just upgraded to the a7s from a Canon 5D and 60D. I did a lot of research and figured that would be the best decision for my style of filmmaking. But my head is spinning with all the info out there about exposing for certain IRE values and customizing picture profiles, etc..
My question is- I'll likely be shooting most of the time with Cine Gamma 4 or 2, so is exposure as tricky as it is with Slog 2? Can I do the typical thing of exposing to the point of clipping highlights, and then backing down? I don't mind spending time in the grade, but the 3200 ISO of slog 2 is a bit much and rather noisy when used indoors.

Also, does the color mode have any impact on how you expose? I'm probably going to be using Cinema. Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but there's just so much different info out there, hoping you guys can narrow it down a bit. Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I might be a little late to the party but I just upgraded to the a7s from a Canon 5D and 60D. I did a lot of research and figured that would be the best decision for my style of filmmaking. But my head is spinning with all the info out there about exposing for certain IRE values and customizing picture profiles, etc..
My question is- I'll likely be shooting most of the time with Cine Gamma 4 or 2, so is exposure as tricky as it is with Slog 2? Can I do the typical thing of exposing to the point of clipping highlights, and then backing down? I don't mind spending time in the grade, but the 3200 ISO of slog 2 is a bit much and rather noisy when used indoors.

Also, does the color mode have any impact on how you expose? I'm probably going to be using Cinema. Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but there's just so much different info out there, hoping you guys can narrow it down a bit. Thanks!

If you're using the Cine profiles you can pretty much just expose as usual, around 0,0 depending on your taste and the scene at hand. There are topics on dxuser about using Cine 4 and severely underexposing and bringing it up to push the dynamic range but I haven't tried it and I've gotten good results from the normal way of exposing.

There's a good run down of profiles here: 
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?334121-a7s-Picture-Profile-Compilation-2015

Either way, you won't go too wrong with the default settings for Cine 4 and 2. Just drop the detail down to -5 or -7.