Zacuto Revenge Shootout 2012 Part 2 results revealed - Francis Ford Coppola and audience prefer the Panasonic GH2

Andrew Reid

[quote name='markm' timestamp='1342947116' post='14301']
Changed my mind went out on a shoot this morning and lost 3 damn good shots using Driftwoods day hack. Will only use something they say is ultra stable.

Lesson learnt!
[/quote]

I am sorry to hear you lost the shots: normally I only have that happen during the testing phase for a new setting but it would suck to have it happen on a shoot.Anyway, in the in the interest of trying to help you avoid having it happen again, what hack setting, shooting settings, SD card and lens were you using and what format were you recording in? The GOP1 settings are normally more thoroughly tested (and stable) in24H mode than in others, though recent ones have shifted emphasis a bit. If you were shooting 24H with a manual focus (so no electronic communication) lens and using a SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB card, then you should definitely use a different setting next time and I would be happy to help suggest one if you message me and you might want to report the issue in the appropriate thread on PV.If it was in a non-24H mode, then I have to say that most of the best options are not based on GOp1 settings (that is to say, usually not ones that GOp1 in 24H mode)..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Thanks Per

Driftwoods vy canis majoris day with a sandisk extreme 32gb 30mbs card. 25fps and a 200mm lens in tele mode Two shots were fast moving action. One was stationery. Everytime the picture froze and the battery had to be removed. However I did manage to get one shot and that one was fast moving. Maybe though a few seconds shorter. This clip was 14 secs. The others were maybe 20+ secs. I had to wait 20 mins for each shot and walk miles to get them. I assume that it was the sheer amount of information that changed on each frame except the stationery one.

Anyway The GH2 is a great camera but I'm pretty certain I wont make a film with one!

[quote name='markm' timestamp='1342989225' post='14317']
Thanks Per

Driftwoods vy canis majoris day with a sandisk extreme 32gb 30mbs card. 25fps and a 200mm lens in tele mode Two shots were fast moving action. One was stationery. Everytime the picture froze and the battery had to be removed. However I did manage to get one shot and that one was fast moving. Maybe though a few seconds shorter. This clip was 14 secs. The others were maybe 20+ secs. I had to wait 20 mins for each shot and walk miles to get them. I assume that it was the sheer amount of information that changed on each frame except the stationery one.

Anyway The GH2 is a great camera but I'm pretty certain I wont make a film with one!
[/quote]

It's your card. I had the same thing happen to me with the new high bitrate hacks. I have two different 64GB cards from Sandisk, one gold the other red. Both recorded just fine. Switched to my 32 GB cards, gold and red, and both died in 1 min. Using Canis Majoris Night Matrix. Oddly enough, the Canis Majoris Skin Tone hack worked fine on all cards, even spanning. But there's no question the 64GB cards are the ones to use. Even the red one from Sandisk is fine. I thought the gold 32 GB, supposed to be 95mbits/sec, would do fine, but it crapped out. I'm going to be selling my 32 GB and start getting all 64 GB.