Heather Hardy - Shot on F3 and Fs700 - so good for fs7 and fs1

Ed_David

Here's this I shot on the sony f3 and fs700.  

And now more and more reason to rejoice -the fs700 and f3 price drops to now around 1k used - cheaper than the NX1 or A7S and better sensor, better motion, and it is such great news - thank you latest and greatest technology.  Because I still think there is a lot of magic to be had from what you can do with the f3 and fs700 - and save yourself $3000 that you can put towards lenses or other things.

The march to newer and newer technology makes the old stuff so much cheaper and with the same results.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I really like this. The story is compelling. It's like a little docu commercial for this fighter. I really like the 2.35 ratio, especially with the slow mo, close up shots of her weaving and bobbing. I am not familiar with this camera though, is it an interchangeable lens, if so, what lens(es) did you use? And were the flares in camera or done in post. Does it shoot in log, or is it just a flat profile you graded? I ask because I really love the 70s, gritty Serpico look of it. I assume it's clean, high bitrate 1080p?

thanks yes the sony f3 has a fz-mount where you can get nikon or canon or pl mounts or etc- and the fs700 has an sony e mount

we used zeiss zf lenses - a newer grade is being uploaded

still has 2 weird mistakes from resolve 12 beta 4 - maybe they can let me know what they think of it.

the flares were done in camera with the maxabeam flare light

yup both cameras are very clean 1080p output - well the fs700 has a 4k output raw if you want but just went 1080p to a samurai

thanks yes the sony f3 has a fz-mount where you can get nikon or canon or pl mounts or etc- and the fs700 has an sony alpha mount

we used zeiss zf lenses - a newer grade is being uploaded

still has 2 weird mistakes from resolve 12 beta 4 - maybe they can let me know what they think of it.

the flares were done in camera with the maxabeam flare light

yup both cameras are very clean 1080p output - well the fs700 has a 4k output raw if you want but just went 1080p to a samurai

The fs700 has the sony E mount i believe, not the A mount

She is not looking down on it, she just doesn't want to be the extension of some male chauvinist pig and instead live her own life... good for her.
Very nice and intimate portrait. Beautiful footage ...grading wise, the blues are a bit too heavy on the blacks for my taste.

grading wise, the blues are a bit too heavy on the blacks for my taste.

Not me.  I'll take an aggressive grade anytime.  It's like a writer using creative prose rather than an author that avoids adjectives.  Both can tell the same story, but one just has more interesting things going on.  Subjective.

I think I like deep coloring because I grew up watching some low quality projected prints at my local multi-plex and drive in.  Everything all over he map visual-wise.  I gravitate to similar stuff out of nostalgia perhaps. 

Hey Ed, who's calling the shots for those sequences in the boxing doc?  You and the director?  You going in with an outline?  Making it up on the fly?  All of the above?

yes I do like color and flair a lot - especially to harken to older run down boxing films and b movies.

The directors had a pretty good game plan on this one - they had their shot ideas - I think they had the flare idea.  We had to not use any lights too which made us able to move super fast - but in terms of scouting - none of it - we just show up and shoot - and it was just me with probably an easy rig and what I like is I shot a lot of movement on the 100mm lens - I wasn't scared there of moving with a long lens and it pays off.  

the bridge stuff we shot on a tandem bike.

And Heather from being with her for the day she loves her son - she really does - but there is more to inspire to for many people than to just produce offspring.  Like, well I assume most of the people on here are filmmakers who want to go down in history as at least having made some sort of film or piece of art, in addition to everything else.  So why not give her canvass the boxing ring?  Danger be darned.

I do a bunch of narrative work as well - shot a narrative film two years - thanks for that

here's some of my narrative work:  the three below shot on the f35 and red one mx which are about $4k now used

Well done. It's interesting to see that even your narrative work has that cinema verite feel to it. Are there any plans on directing your own narrative?

I do have a short narrative I'm working on now and a documentary I am doing with Phillip Kibbe.  Gotta get back to that script - thanks for reminding me!

Yep Cinema Verite - catching those little moments is important I feel in narrative - to be exciting and the film can just go anywhere vs so planned out and snoozy.