Driftwood V-Log L Samples - V709 & Arri Alexa LUT Comparisons

Zak Forsman

I downloaded and brought Nick Driftwood's 10 bit V-Log L samples into Davinci and applied the Panasonic VLog_to_V709_forV35_ver100 LUT, and also the Arri Alexa LogC to Rec709 LUT. Created this album on imgur to make comparing them easier.

http://imgur.com/a/FGcTr#0

My intent was to start looking into what LUT I will want to load into my monitor during production. Ultimately it will be a custom LUT but one of these will serve as the basis.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I downloaded and brought Nick Driftwood's 10 bit V-Log L samples into Davinci and applied the Panasonic VLog_to_V709_forV35_ver100 LUT, and also the Arri Alexa LogC to Rec709 LUT. Created this album on imgur to make comparing them easier.

http://imgur.com/a/FGcTr#0

My intent was to start looking into what LUT I will want to load into my monitor during production. Ultimately it will be a custom LUT but one of these will serve as the basis.

Where do you get the Vlog to V709 LUT? I think it actually looks more natural that the Alexa LUT.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it on Panasonic's site.

Why not make your own grade, not based on a exciting LUT.
It has a couple of advantages the first being it’s your own grade, the second being that if you adjust it you adjust the grade and not add an adjustment after the LUT (deteriorating your footage even further) and third you learn a little more about grading or at least your grading software.
I tried to recreate the ArriRec709Lut image I found on Driftwoods twitter page of the woman in the close up. Took a day or so …and later I found more efficient ways to do the same thing and eventually made my own version. Applied that same setting to the other footage as well and it seems to hold up just fine.

VLogL_to_custom_T008b.jpg

VlogL_to_custom_T006b.jpg

VlogL_to_custom_T018b.jpg

VlogL_to_custom_T025b.jpg

VlogL_to_custom_T014c.jpg

VlogL_to_custom_T046b.jpg

The V709 LUT kinda comes on strong with its red bias. The others kinda have some kind of shift towards yellow/orange/green by the looks of it, which seems much less favorable to me. Although I kinda like the exaggerated reds in the nightstand scene, a bit toning down couldn't hurt. I do like Zak's custom grades. Although they kinda lack some 'pop' (I know, I hate when people use that vague description too, lol). Think @bunk did a pretty solid job there getting a nice balance. Nice.

I just think we're not used to seeing strong, accurate reds in our digital footage. It's a tough color to nail--probably the toughest. But when done right, it results in really wonderful skin tones.

I have no problem starting with a pre-existing LUT if it gives me results I like. All the Alexa LUT stuff I've seen has washed out mids, dull colors, and a yellow-green bias to skin tones. Those people look sick.

The VLUT images, on the other hand, have been uniformly gorgeous. A bit punchy perhaps, but that's easy enough to tone down. The best part by far is the skin. Like the Varicam, it just makes people look amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...